It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible ufo pic i took in september

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
hello i was looking through some pictures i took this summer sept 4 at 330 pm
in the top middle there is something strange
link to picture
i583.photobucket.com...

first time linking a picture hope it works anyways

photo is from september 2008
alberta canada just outside the city of edmonton
at the time i took the picture it was just starting to rain so i was taking the picture and about to leave i did not notice it while i was taking it only found it now
i think its possible it is just a bird or maybe an insect flying by but it doent look like one to me but im no expert at all
i took the photo myshelf and did not alter this in anyway whatsoever
i still have the original photo and is quite high quality being a 4.5 meg picture

so any of you photo experts wanna tell me what this could be

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
just to add i was taking pictures of the whole area so i have about 5 pictures from the same area and same minute but it only shows up in the one photo

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Zoomed and sharpened

This filter helps show the shape of the object

Could be a bird or bug, but unsure.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It would have to be a pretty big bug, and at that far away from the camera, it wouln't appear that way would it?

The bird thing is little iffy as well, no wing span from what i can see, although he could have been in mid flap.

OP any birds in the area? Did you notice the thing in the sky or just after you got the photos processed?

Good find.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There is no real indication how far away the object is.

In the original full size photo, the object, to me, resembles a moth, fairly close to the camera.

But, it could be anything.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

I would say probably a beasty of some kind, bird or bug - compact digital cameras have great depth of field:

en.wikipedia.org...

Just for reference I pulled the picture's EXIF data:

Make = CASIO COMPUTER CO.,LTD.
Model = EX-Z850
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = 1.00
Date Time = 2008-09-04 15:32:16
YCbCr Positioning = centered
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 282
PrintIM Data = 46 Byte

Camera
Exposure Time = 1/800"
F Number = F4
Exposure Program = Action program
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-09-04 15:32:16
Date Time Digitized = 2008-09-04 15:32:16
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4.9212
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash did not fire, auto mode
Focal Length = 7.9mm
Maker Note = 27758 Byte
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 3264
Exif Image Height = 2448
Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 28514
File Source = DSC
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio =
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 38mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = None
Contrast = Normal
Saturation = Normal
Sharpness = Normal

GPS

Interoperability
Interoperability Index = ExifR98
Interoperability Version = Version 1.0

Thumbnail Info
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 28638
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 8664

Thumbnail
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

A good thing for OP to do is to crop the image without resizing and post the unidentified object. (e.g. crop it at 100% zoom from the larger original JPEG, and post it here, or upload the larger original image somewher). That is better to examine.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
no there wasnt many birds in the area it is by a river so there are quite a few birds though
but i have about 10 pictures from the area i like to stand in one spot and try to take a 360 kinda thing with like 5-10 pictures of a whole area there were no birds in any of the pictures at that time and i have 3 pictures of the same area within the same minute and it doesnt appear in the pictures before or after and if it was a bird i think it would have been in the pic before or after

it was fairly cold like about +15 degrees Celsius so there wasnt a whole lot of bugs out and about but again its a muddy river area so its not like there isnt a possibility of insects

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
All I Have To Say About This Is.... I Cant Imagine A Bug Or A bird, So WTF Is It.. Sorry, but I've Taken Pics With Birds In It And They Aren't Questionable, Ya Know?!!!!! You Can Look At It And Think " Ya, Its Probably a Bird Cuz Look At It..... " Dont Have A Clue Wtf It Is But Not A Bird.. ORRRR A BUG lmao, The Depth Conception Proves That. But Very Gorgeous, Whatever It IS!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
heres the crop of the image

i did 3 crops of it closer and closer there all on photo bucket

i583.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
and heres the closest one
i583.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A very interesting picture. I'm no expert, but from having looked at it, I would exclude whatever it is from being a bird, or maybe even a bug. It looks like some unidentified type of military aircraft. Are there any known or suspected Airforce Bases or test facilities around the area? Maybe you could give the negative to someone who can identify whatever it is to a photographic expert for analysis.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am no expert but the first instinct was insect. The odd blur on the top may be wings..

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Birds or insects make this kind of shots. When people don't know this, they think to extraordinary solutions, like alien spaceships or whatever.
But, really, birds and insects are common causes for this. So common, that everybody can catch them in enough photos on holidays or whatever

Look at my collection here:

4) www.freewebs.com...
3) www.freewebs.com...
2) www.freewebs.com...
1) www.freewebs.com...

(dismiss the language there
)

This should clarify the real ordinary phenomenon. Someboduy can trace my holidays actions just from the pictures with birds and insects.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by depthoffield

Starred - excellent post with examples. I tried looking for a bug or bird in one of my own photos but couldn't find one (unfortunately I don't have access to all of my photos right now, only the last couple of weeks). I was beginning to suspect there's a conspiracy that I can only find bugs/birds when I don't want them

There should be a sticky here in ATS Aliens & UFOs with common photographic errors.

An ATS UFO photo FAQ sticky. It would save a lot of time and help people who aren't into photography identify common errors.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by jackphotohobby]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Looks to me like somone has picked up a rock/pebble from the river bank and has thrown it at a steep angle towards the river from the right, off photo.

If you notice the blurd motion you can see how the rock/pebble's projectlie course may just still be ascending but could also be leveling out about to decend in towards the river.

You may claim you we're alone whilst taking these photo's but it is more likely that you would have a friend/relative with you whilst visting what appears to be a rural area incase of assistance in an emergency or what not. Therefore, my personal opinion is that someone was with you and was throwing a rock into the river whilst you were taking photos.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
well i dont know i was there all alone there was nobody else there
i didnt even realize it was in the photo till yesterday when i was going threw them again

im not lying but i also realize on a site like this its pretty easy to think i am

i think it was possible a insect that flew by is there any way to calculate the distance it might be in the photo

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuzitzu

Looks to me like somone has picked up a rock/pebble from the river bank and has thrown it at a steep angle towards the river from the right, off photo.

If you notice the blurd motion you can see how the rock/pebble's projectlie course may just still be ascending but could also be leveling out about to decend in towards the river.

You may claim you we're alone whilst taking these photo's but it is more likely that you would have a friend/relative with you whilst visting what appears to be a rural area incase of assistance in an emergency or what not. Therefore, my personal opinion is that someone was with you and was throwing a rock into the river whilst you were taking photos.

Well the rock theory is sound but theres something your missing here my not so North American friend. That scene he shot there is common place in Northwest United States and most of Canada. You may not go into a rural area alone, but I for one do it all the time. Sure there are all sorts of big animals here but hey who cares right?
I don't think you can make the assumption that he wasn't alone because of the area. If he lives there I would bet a good sum that he would definatly go out to a place like that alone.

Imo, I don't think its a rock. The picture is high enough quality that you can have a sense of depth in the shot. Whatever it is, it's decently far away. And for it to be a rock, it would have to be a very very big one. He would have to have one hell of an arm to launch a rock that big that far and that high up in the air. Dean007 do you play baseball?
Because if that's a rock you need to go into the pros.

Star for you for the nice pics and your godlike arm.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I think the bug is very close to the lens. But as as fun experiment I thought I'd informally test it. The camera that I've got that is closest to the OP's in specification is my Canon A590IS. So I used that for the experiment.

Method:

Tripod mounted a Canon A590IS in my spare room.

Took a length of spare metal and attached some cotton thread to it. At the end of the string I attached some Blu-Tac. Aproximately 2mm across. I then mounted it on top of the camera. I used auto mode with the flash turned off.

Pictures of the equipment/setup:

Dangly bit:

img26.imageshack.us...

Front of camera:

img16.imageshack.us...

Side of camera:

img24.imageshack.us...

Results:

Here is a picture with the string and dangling ball of Blu-Tac in front of the camera. I gave it a little motion by blowing it:

img8.imageshack.us...

Here's a picture without the dangly bit:

img27.imageshack.us...

The two pictures taken with the A590IS were opened in Photoshop and saved at medium quality (imageshack has a file size limit), but I've left the EXIF data intact.

Bear in mind that if it were an insect I wouldn't notice it because it would be in view for such a short time.

Conclusion:

Digital compacts have exceptional depth of field.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
jackphotohobbyI like where you went with that but I dont think thats a proper test for this one.

Maybe you should try it again with more ambient (maybe out doors if you can) light and a small black object this time in motion. You could try a pendulum, and try the object just a tad further away.

I think testing it that way would be a tad more conclusive.

Your effect there just doesnt fit this situation.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
jackphotohobbyI like where you went with that but I dont think thats a proper test for this one.

Maybe you should try it again with more ambient (maybe out doors if you can) light and a small black object this time in motion. You could try a pendulum, and try the object just a tad further away.

I think testing it that way would be a tad more conclusive.

Your effect there just doesnt fit this situation.

It would be exactly the same except the shutter speed would be much faster. Maybe the aperture would increase also. The result of those that would be a darker, sharper object.

Much like OPs photo.

Point being compact digital cameras a notorious for picking up small objects in-frame, out-of focus.

The does not vary significantly with light conditions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join