It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Newport Mystery Tower

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Newgrange is like that, too. Once a year the inner chamber lights up.
And it's still considered an "observatory" because it was built using astronomy to align with a certain planet/star at a certain time.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
\I think it's highly possible that Benedict Arnold (The governor, not the general) may have been involved in such things. Many colonials were. \

and what?
which things? what exactly about the tower in question reminds you or give you any idea of its connection with the Templars?
petroglyphs?

the structure? - too cheap for the templars

as far as i recall, those who suggest theories of their "travels" to the New world, can suggest only two arguments: they had large fleet... and the corn in the chapel in scotland...also virtual gold (still not found)...

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Russi]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Russi

No one is comparing the Newport Tower to the chapel, it's being used to support the idea of pre-colombian transatlantic travel.

Also, the Rosslyn Chapel has been linked to the Knights Templar. It was included in my research and eventually I will post a thread with my research about the Knights where you can deny that all you want.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Russi

The Lost Colony of the Templars
Verrazano's Secret Mission to America

I suggest that book to you, along with this quote about the book:

In 1524 the Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazano was sent by the French king Francis I on an expedition ostensibly to find a shorter route to China. However, his true mission, Steven Sora suggests, was to contact a Templar colony that might have been established in Newport, Rhode Island, by Henry Sinclair at the end of the 14th century. In his expedition log Verrazano recorded that his only stay on this journey was at Newport Harbor, the site of a tower built to the exact measurements of a Templar baptistery, a sacred sanctuary representing baptism and eternal life.

This tower is a remnant of Sinclair’s voyage to America nearly a century before that of Columbus (who had access to Sinclair’s maps thanks to his wife, who was Sinclair’s great-granddaughter). While Verrazano’s mission succeeded in finding the tower, the colony itself eluded him. His backers then decided to resurrect the dream of Acadia--a place where they could aspire to higher knowledge without fear of Church or state--by creating a new Secret Society that included Huguenots and Catholic Sulpicians. This Company of the Holy Sacrament would lay the foundations for Montreal in an attempt to realize the ambitions of Sinclair and his Templar companions, as well as to stave off efforts by the Jesuits to transform Quebec into a fiefdom of the orthodox Church. Quebec’s motto, “Je me souviens” (I remember), is a reference to this secret history.
About the Author(s) of The Lost Colony of the Templars
Steven Sora has been researching historical enigmas since 1982 and is the author of Secret Societies of America’s Elite and The Lost Treasure of the Knights Templar. He lives in Easton, Pennsylvania.

Praise for The Lost Colony of the Templars

"Steven Sora is a writer and researcher dedicated to looking behind the traditional gloss towards a history that is either ignored or covered up or both. Of course history really isn't even taught now [in the high schools] and what is is usually a revisionist politically correct version.

"In his best book yet, Mr. Sora does fabulous detective work and delivers mountains of facts, dates, quotes, and more, all in his theory that the visit of Verrazano was not what it purported to be. Sora shows that the Italian explorer [sent by French King Francis I] was not looking for a 'shorter route to China' but travelled in 1524 to investigate a lost Templar Colony.

store.innertraditions.com...;jsessionid=0DA96355CCA6474407A6BF86F7513BED?action=displayDetail&id=895&searchString=978-1-59477-019-7

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yet another item

Link to Doug Weller

The windmill is mentioned in the 1677 will of the Governor of Rhode Island, Benedict Arnold, who wrote of his “stonebuilt-windmill." John Hull, a contemporary of Arnold, observed the Arnold windmill also in 1665 (Diaries of John Hull, 1847,Transactions of the American Antiquarian Society, pp 208,213,218, cited in Kuhlmann 1929:5). Hull goes on to state that Arnold built the tower to resemble a windmill he had know back home in England. This is the Chesterton Windmill in Warwickshire, which although different in style is a stone windmill built on columns, and although the columns are square and have capitals, they look very much alike. It used to be argued that it was originally built as an observatory, but recent work on the Chesterton estate records has confirmed it as a windmill (Wise 1994).

Other comments

The reason people who said that man had arrived earlier clovis were doing so without evidence, after the evidence was found the status changed. That is the way science works, the evidence drives the concensus not belief.

Tombs with astronomical sites. Yes they do but that is an interpretation placed on what we observe not what the ancient intented. Marking a grave for a sunrise is nice and easy to do. But again based on the set up of the tower it was not set up to mark the sunset or sunrise. ANY building, anywhere with an opening to the east or west can be said to be an observatory based on the criteria you have accepted. Why a mill would be set up as an observatory is an odd concept.

Oh and by the term, "rest my case", I meant to end my participation in that particular subject not to close the book on the belief in it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, in fact, modeled after Chesterton.
They do look very, very similar.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I would say Chesterton is the motivation for the Newport.

Did I miss it earlier in the tread because I don't recall Hull's diary being mentioned before.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

No, I don't think the diary was directly mentioned but I did post an image of the Chesterton mill to compare architecture.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune The reason people who said that man had arrived earlier clovis were doing so without evidence, after the evidence was found the status changed. That is the way science works, the evidence drives the concensus not belief.

Let's not forget that it is personal belief that drives inquiries that generate evidence that change the paradigm.

So many folks on this site blame science for discouraging change, not realizing that it is the imagination of the scientists that leads the investigations.

...and I'm going to take the position that the jury is still out on the Tower.

But...I'll take Doug Weller's final say on the subject. I'll let y'all know.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Obviously I will too, unless I see some formal paperwork stating who built it and when.
That's all. Perhaps not a huge mystery.

I'm off to post a new mysterious thread then. ^_^

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Those types of records (of who built what) don't exist for that period so that won't be forthcoming.

Records like that came about as taxation began to be applied to building and not the land and production from it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Humble apologies to Russi-you are right it is not DEFINITIVE proof but a proof of theory which I find to MY liking as you to yours... I did use the wrong term. Still learning the ropes...wow you guys can really jump quick on people...*big grin* will try to be more careful in the future!!!
Ravenshadow-Thank you for being kind...interesting link for you...
www.redwoodlibrary.org...
Please u2u me and let me know if and when you start a templar thread-I am open to ALL ideas on the subject matter. My Ex-husband was a freemason and it used to tick me off he refused to talk about it with me!! Thus the start of my quest on masonry and templars 8 years ago!!-lol...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Canadian academic Michael Bradley covers this anomalous structure fairly comprehensively in his book "Grail Knights of North America: On the Trail of the Grail Legacy in Canada and the United States".

I think it important to note that a degree of Mr. Bradley's work may well be described as speculative, though it certainly fuels an enthusiasm for the subject matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Highly speculative. You can find his earlier work on the same theme here

Grail

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join