It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Just In: Milky Way as massive as 3 trillion suns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Hey Andromeda, you’d better watch out. Turns out your little brother, the Milky Way galaxy, isn’t so little after all. In fact, the Milky Way is just as massive, weighing in at the new estimate of 3 trillion suns, according to a new study.

That means that the two galaxies — the largest members of the Local Group of galaxies — might smash into each other earlier than astronomers had predicted.

According to this article that was published in Science News the Milky Way may be much larger than previously thought. Scientists at Harvard University studied 20 regions of intense star formations and got their data by measuring tiny shifts in the frequency of the masers’ radio emissions.

This may indicate that the Milky Way is growing at a pace that is much faster than we thought affecting the orbits of satellite galaxies around us.

sciencenews.org...

[edit on 1-2-2009 by TooManyHumans]

[edit on 1-2-2009 by TooManyHumans]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Actually, this is old news, I had already made a thread regarding this, almost a month back. Have a look at it.

milky way

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Can you imagine how big this universe is???

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Actually, this is old news, I had already made a thread regarding this, almost a month back. Have a look at it.

milky way

Ah I see my bad. Yea it was not "Just In" that was just the title of the article.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

It doesnt matter how big the universe is. But how massive our milky way is decides our fate in the next few million years. Based on earlier calculations, milky ways expected collision chance with andromeda was low and it even had a chance of completely missing us, and zip by. But this increased mass, directly corresponds to increased gravity and collision with andromeda is confirmed.

So, I would say, we need to add a new thing to the world is going to end list.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TooManyHumans

One thing is odd. Though the news came into the astro groups in the start of the year itself, why is the article dated on jan 31?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
reply to post by TooManyHumans

One thing is odd. Though the news came into the astro groups in the start of the year itself, why is the article dated on jan 31?

Not sure I get Science News every month and it was one of the articles in the Jan 5 issue that I just got around to reading.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The most possible thing is that the web page might have been updated.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
so there could be 3 trillion or more planets.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by whiteblack]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

You said,

It doesnt matter how big the universe is. But how massive our milky way is decides our fate in the next few million years. Based on earlier calculations, milky ways expected collision chance with andromeda was low and it even had a chance of completely missing us, and zip by. But this increased mass, directly corresponds to increased gravity and collision with andromeda is confirmed.

So, I would say, we need to add a new thing to the world is going to end list.

We can tell this to the 2012 crowd, it could be the next big catastrophe after nothing happens in 2012.

We won't tell them that the collision is millions of years away and poses little threat to individual stars.

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

Mod Note: Quote Reference-Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Feb 2 2009 by Jbird]

join