It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea warns of possible war with South Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

North Korea warns of possible war with South Korea

news.yahoo.com

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea warned Sunday that South Korea's confrontational policies may trigger a war on the divided peninsula, a message coming two days after the communist country vowed to abandon all peace agreements with its southern neighbor.
Relations between the two Koreas have been strained since conservative President Lee Myung-bak took office nearly a year ago in Seoul, pledging to take a harder line on the North. Tension heightened Friday when the North said it was ditching a nonaggression pact and all other peace accords with South Korea.
The tension may lead to "an unavoidable military conflict and a war," North Korea's main Rodong Sinmun newspaper said in a commentary carried Sunday by the country's official Korean Central News Agency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
More good news. This is the last thing we need right now. You know that the US will stick their noses in this and put more troops there even though we don't have the money.

Lately the news headlines seem to be for the most part BAD NEWS. The whole world is seems to be filling with anger whether it is justified or not.

Hopefully nothing comes of this and it blows over. Two countries with nuclear weapons at war is not a good thing.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
That was my first thought. The fall out would be inescapable.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
South Korea has had over 50 years to get in bad ass mode. They've had the money and opportunity to make themselves a fighting force that can wipe North Korea off the face of the Earth.

If they can't defend themselves they deserve to fall.

I say pull out the American troops and let the chips fall where they fall.

Sometimes you have to pull away the safety blanket and make the child face the world without mommy and daddy.

During the cold war Korea was a statement. The cold war is over.

Lets see how much South Korean students hate us when the great leader Kim is their new overlord.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
We all know the USA will stick thier nose's in it. Hell they have stuck thier nose's in everyone else's business why stop now?

Thats what bigger nations do tho, when one nation tries to bully another country who less armed the bigger nations around the world will step in and take action.

I personally would not want another Napolean to try and take over the world.

The fallout is going to be bad no matter what happens when you deal with North Korea

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I agree mr wumpy. Its not our business to be there. They are an ally yes and if they need weapons we should be ready and willing to sell them to S Korea. But fight their war? No. We need to stay out of this crap. We are bankrupt as it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't agree with the above poster..
The cold war isn't exactly over, at this point. There is a lot of acitivity going on.

But, honestly, maybe Obama can give Russia a political reach-around and help eachother out and end the tic for tac bull crap that has started up again.

As far as the Korea tensions..
U.S will look weak if they don't help out, sorta like Georgia but at a larger scale.

Its all up to Obama in the end, right?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

U.S will look weak

That's the thing...we don't look weak...we ARE weak. We can't finance this or anything else right now for that matter. We are weakened. The world knows it because they are being forced to deal with our weakness right now.

We need to stay out IMO. Pull out all troops everywhere.

You can't play Superman when you are wearing a suit made of kryptonite.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I doubt the N. Koreans will use nukes unless they start to lose badly.

I think the best thing to do would be to pledge support to south korea. Were already going to help out anyways, i mean, taking out a hostile country that posesses nukes is a bonus, and since we still have a presence over there, i don't think we will abandon them.

Best case senario, this will cause N. Korea to back off, because they know they cannot win, worst case, they start launching nukes at everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xbranscombex
I don't agree with the above poster..
The cold war isn't exactly over, at this point. There is a lot of acitivity going on.

But, honestly, maybe Obama can give Russia a political reach-around and help eachother out and end the tic for tac bull crap that has started up again.

As far as the Korea tensions..
U.S will look weak if they don't help out, sorta like Georgia but at a larger scale.

Its all up to Obama in the end, right?

looks weak? I have news for you we are bankrupt dude. The only thing and I mean the only thing holding our country together right now is the fact that our currency is the reserve currency of the world and thats it. This however is going to change with this "New World Financial Order" they are planning. We need to just sit back and sell weapons to these countries who want war like Israel, S Korea, and others. Sit back and sell weapons and pay off some of this debt so we CAN be strong again.....kind of hard to fund wars with no money einstein.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjeffersonsghost
reply to post by mrwupy

I agree mr wumpy. Its not our business to be there. They are an ally yes and if they need weapons we should be ready and willing to sell them to S Korea. But fight their war? No. We need to stay out of this crap. We are bankrupt as it is.

Agreed.

Best we should do for south korea - if anything since they should be defending themselves - is a similar arrangement as we have with Israel. We don't send our soldiers to fight Israel's wars, so why south korea's.

[edit on 2/1/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It's about power projection and force status. The more forces and assets we can have stationed in the immediate PACRIM area the more influence and capability we have, in terms of military related matters. Any regional or global power will be less inclined to partake in activity counter to our interests in the area with the US military keeping a close eye and a loaded hand ready. It does not get any simpler.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
There's too much at stake to let the N. Koreans take over the Korean peninsula and the US is already heavily represented there.

South Korea is already a force to be reckoned with and can defend themselves quite well, I think, but they would need and would get our help.

The implications for Japan if the peninsula were to fall cannot be underestimated and that goes for the rest of the free world, as well.

[edit on 2009/2/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

It's about power projection and force status. The more forces and assets we can have stationed in the immediate PACRIM area the more influence and capability we have, in terms of military related matters. Any regional or global power will be less inclined to partake in activity counter to our interests in the area with the US military keeping a close eye and a loaded hand ready. It does not get any simpler.

That may be the 'simple' theory, but in reality having troops in iraq and afghanistan, plus massive support for Israel does stop iran from being a huge troublemaker in a region that is very key to us.

What we're mainly doing in south korea is protecting them so they don't have to do it themselves while they take jobs away from Americans.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

If they can't defend themselves they deserve to fall.

I say pull out the American troops and let the chips fall where they fall.

Sometimes you have to pull away the safety blanket and make the child face the world without mommy and daddy.

Mate, there's no child more immature on the world map than the USA.
No country has proven itself so immature in handling armies than america.
Comparing other countries with children as an american, is pretty silly.
The only threat from nuclear weaponry, comes from america, they are
the only country that has ever used nuclear bombs on innocent civilians.

It's time that the whole world demands that the USA disarms its nuclear
bombs, they just cannot be trusted with that kind of power. They're capable
of destroying the entire world in a fit of immature anger and rage when
things don't go their way. I really hope that China and Russia take away
america's toys and military capabilities before this whole planet turns into
a nuclear wasteland.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It looks like North Korea is vying for some attention because the financial crisis has put them at the back seat of the media. Iran will say some inflammatory things as well soon enough.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What would this war bring???

A united Korea?

Ha.

Like China will allow U.S troops on their border.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

The USA will always have it's nukes for as long as it is considered the USA, as will China, Russia, and anyone else.

ANY country that attacks with a nuke will face dire consequences and will be despised worldwide as innocents will die.

What you are stating will never happen.
Having a nuke isn't the real threat.
Threatening to use them is.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wehali

Mate, there's no child more immature on the world map than the USA.
No country has proven itself so immature in handling armies than america.

That's the most preposterous statement I've ever read.

Wherever freedom rings, you can bet that there is a good chance that America's armies have had something to do with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Question. What does it mean to have influence? What gains does it have for America? What does this influence cost and can we afford it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join