It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA offer free zero-G flights.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

NASA offer free zero-G flights.

techfragments.com

NASA is looking for new technologies that have potential use in future agency projects which could benefit from testing during flights on an airplane that simulates the weightless conditions of space. The technologies may improve air and space vehicle capabilities and support future systems used in space exploration...

...The testing opportunities are being offered to U.S. companies, individuals, academic or research institutions, or government agencies. Through a partnership agreement, NASA will provide free flight time for the tests while project teams will be responsible for all other expenses. Proposals are due by March 20. Flights to demonstrate the technologies will be conducted in August 2009 from Ellington Field in Houston. NASA expects to select at least 20 projects for this round of test flights, pending availability of funding.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.techweb.com
science.slashdot.org
virtualreview.org

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This certainly confirms that NASA budgets are shrinking! "We'll provide the flights, YOU provide the packed lunch!"

I suppose it's a fair quid pro quo. Private enterprise meets National interest. I'm surprised that they only offer three months to submit applications.

I wonder how stringent the application process is? If I'd designed a new application or technology that's ideally suited to use in space, I'd be reluctant to send my blueprints to NASA or anyone else.

techfragments.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The whole zero-G testing, training, research fiasco is BS to begin with. NASA knows, as does any elementary astrophysicist knows, that artificial gravity can be achieved by the use of rotating platforms and moduels on space craft or space stations that eliminates zero G problems completely.

Zero G is not the problem, the problem is an institutional problem, where you got 1 maybe 2 groups who have locked themselves in for 30 years research of zero-G effects on humans. Which keeps them the only game in town, and keeps them funded for that useless research.

Zero G reserach has already been peaked during SkyLab, the Apollo and Gemini missions, MIR space station and on the ISS. There is absolutely no reason to do any more research or spend funds on aircraft to simulate zero-G when there are solutions to the zero-G issue.

Its like beating the dead horse over and over again knowing the horse is already dead after the first swing of the bat.

Waste of funds, waste of time, and waste of focus by NASA.

Now Another Senseless Application.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 1-2-2009 by RFBurns]

new topics

join