It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North and South Korea stand on 'the brink of war'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

North and South Korea stand on 'the brink of war'

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

The confrontaion between North and South Korea has escalated with Kim Jong-il's regime claiming it was on the 'brink of war' after tearing up a non-aggression pact signed in 1991.

In a significant escalation of tensions, North Korea cancelled all military and political agreements after accusing Seoul of aggressive posturing.

Pyongyang's decision to nullify all accords increases the prospect of an armed confrontation on the Peninsula, where over a million soldiers face each other across the Demilitarised Zone that divides the two Koreas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.globalsecurity.org
news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It could be just posturing by N. Korea, but what's the real prospect of war between the two countries?

I'm not sure if everyone remembers the naval battle in 2002, but there is the possibility for another flare-up in tensions. Hopefully if there is another skirmish, it won't ignite into all-out war.

That would be catastrophic for the world, as there would likely be a nuclear exchange, and would involve international powers.

Your thoughts?

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Would it be a one line answer if i just said the age old adage of "We're well and truly bulloxed"?

My god, i feel sorry for South Korea.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I hope to god that all out war isnt declared i cant even begin to imgine what that would mean for us all really.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It would mean the governments of the world found a way to solve the economic crisis and preserve their false democracies for another 60-80 years.

Won't be a war in Europe, its already had two. It will be Asia or the America's this time.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I can't imagine a favorable outcome for either side. Why go to war, to what end?

There has to be more to it.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
North Korea wants more aid. That is it. They were paid for peace agreements - and supplies ran out. Then they were paid for nuclear program stop - and those supplies also ran out. Since Communist economy cannot feed its population AND produce tanks simultaneously , it always concentrates on producing tanks. USSR fell because of it and now North Korea is crashing. But they choose to blackmail the world. Doubt it will work.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If it happens lets hope it boost the economy though

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It would be interesting to also know what each side has available as far as conventional weapons.

I would think SK has more advanced weapons. The past shipments of foods NK may have stockpiled for it's own military. China was said to have had recent talks with NK, but I haven't yet heard about what.

Would China take sides with NK? I suppose it depends on how involved America is. I'm also curious about SK war ships and any subs they may also have.

NK as if is asking for a major population reduction and a war more likely using these people to fight or die of starvation.

NK doesn't deserve any more considerations and gifts for it's military and their phoney politics.

top topics

join