It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many people here are efficient at killing animals?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarpon68
If faced with a situation of survival, how many of you could efficiently feed your family or have experience hunting,fishing, farming etc? Do you have the skills to feed family members? Would you or have you hunted or killed animals for food?

Rather irelivant but interesting point none the same. the things that make people relucatant or squeemish tend to disapears PDQ when hunger or neccessity sets in. A mum with a child to feed with pretty quickly forget that the meat she will only eat comes from a posh deli in Queens when the child is starving, She will kill and eat her neighbours seeing eye dog with her bare hands if it will save her child.. Twelve years ago I took a bunch of cadets out on a weeks outward bound and survival training course. All these little darlings were from middle to up market backgrounds with very selective appitites, I dont eat rabbit, I only eat lean mince, I do eat carrots, I wont eat turnips they are for cattle only. By the Friday they were gutting rabbits, fish and chickens with relish because they were bloody hungry.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

By the Friday they were gutting rabbits, fish and chickens with relish because they were bloody hungry.

Appetite being the spice - anything is good in the woods.
(Just some things better than others).

Speaking of spice people might want to look into what naturally grows out there to flavor up that meat - it's going to get awful old, hunger or no - after the first 10 kilos or so.

peace

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I know seasoned hunters that wouldn’t even consider snaring deer.
Myself and true hunters have too much respect for deer to do such a vial and despicable thing.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by silo13]

As a hunter, I must completely agree with you on this. It would need to be insane dire straits for me to ever consider resorting to this tactic. I prefer to take my game humanely with as little fanfare as possible. Not just so I dont ruin the meat, but out of respect for the animal who died to nurish myself and my family.

As for the OP, I like to hope most out there can take game now, because if TSHTF, there could be alot of wounded animals out there, wounded animals arent all that friendly. Also, with the current financial mess, I would guess more people will be looking to fill their freezers with game meat, so, please learn how to shoot before hunting. Take a safety course and respect the laws and the area you are hunting. A few poor hunters make it harder on the rest of us that depend on wild game as our main meat intake.

My freezer and dried or smoked meat products taken by myself include, 3 types of salmon, halibut, ling cod, moose, caribou, rabbit, grouse, chicken, and turkey. Purchased products include Yak, which I buy from a local farmer. Yes, some of us out there prefer to take what nature provides instead of depending on the corporations to feed us their bland poultry and beef. Wont be any different post sit-x.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Isint it funny, how in nature a pack of wolves eats large game alive (ive seen it) 4 or 5 wolves tearing a moose chest cavity open while it is still very much alive and kicking. The anguish that creature feels during this time is unimaginable, and yet this is only natural; just the way things are. i do not like or condone any torture or inhumane treatment of animals, i just think its funny how far we put ourselves above nature.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

Myself and true hunters have too much respect for deer to do such a vial and despicable thing.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by silo13]

As a hunter, I must completely agree with you on this. It would need to be insane dire straits for me to ever consider resorting to this tactic. I prefer to take my game humanely with as little fanfare as possible. Not just so I dont ruin the meat, but out of respect for the animal who died to nurish myself and my family.

As for the OP, I like to hope most out there can take game now, because if TSHTF, there could be alot of wounded animals out there, wounded animals arent all that friendly. Also, with the current financial mess, I would guess more people will be looking to fill their freezers with game meat, so, please learn how to shoot before hunting. Take a safety course and respect the laws and the area you are hunting. A few poor hunters make it harder on the rest of us that depend on wild game as our main meat intake.

My freezer and dried or smoked meat products taken by myself include, 3 types of salmon, halibut, ling cod, moose, caribou, rabbit, grouse, chicken, and turkey. Purchased products include Yak, which I buy from a local farmer. Yes, some of us out there prefer to take what nature provides instead of depending on the corporations to feed us their bland poultry and beef. Wont be any different post sit-x.

Yak huh? that sounds interesting. I've tryed a lot of things and enjoyed many but never had Yak. Whats it compare to?
Had Rattle Sanke, Turtle, Frog Legs.. all of which were great. Just about every type of critter that walks or climbs. (here in the U.S.) well except rats and mice, have not had the desire to try that yet, but hey, things get bad, i'll throw a few on the fire and give them a shot.

I fully agree, snaring is not my cup of tea either. I dont want the animal to suffer when i take it, i prefer the head shot so it has no idea it was even killed. But cant always get a setup where you get that shot every time.
One of the reasons i dont bow hunt, i'm not aginst it, i just prefer to be sure the animal goes down, and down fast, so they dont suffer when they dont have to.
Snaring would be a last resort, i'd have to be prity hungry to do that.

One thing people may think about is a knife sharpening kit.. they are only $30 bucks or so in the sporting goods section of many stores and last for years. You get any animal of any size and you are going to dull your blade fast. I usualy have 3 or 4 freshly sharp knives when skinning, and processing.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Short of forgetting to feed my goldfish I've never killed anything other than time.

Hopefully this won't be an issue when I'm hungry; fairly certain i'll learn pretty quickly if I have to.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Having grown up a country Frog I've taken a number of different animals from field to table, both domestic and wild in all the steps involved.

Agree that if the SHTF and you do not have storage means it is best to think small.

For example, a deer can feed 2 people for a good period of time, but that only if you have the knowledge and means to preserve it. If not, then much of the deer is wasted.

CX

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

reply to post by dooper

But a couple years ago, I got interested in snaring large game such as deer, and I love it!

Snaring deer?
That just one a the tops on the list of perverse and cruel.
Did you pull wings off flies as a child - do you still?
You seem to get off on snaring deer well enough.

EDIT:
As an added note anyone who snares a deer is interested in blood sport, not sport for meat use.
A deer who’s caught in a snare trap with thrash itself to death ruining the complete hide and the majority of the meat.
That is not humane, sporting or ethical.

I know of no place in the States and very few places in the western world where using a snare on deer is even legal.

If you’re living and snaring deer in an area where that type of inhumane hunting (if you can even call it hunting) is allowed - well, I was going to say let your conscience be your guide, but obviously you have none.

If you do not live in an area where snaring deer is legal please read the ATS rules again.
It’s against ATS rules to post about illegal activity.

I'm on the fence with this one. People snare rabbits all the time. A deer is just a bigger animal is it not?

I'm not saying i'd give it a go right now, but if it came to it in a survival situation, i bet any one of us would do it.

I hear what you are saying about the legality of it, then again ITSHTF. the legality of what gets you food will go straight out of the window.

If you have no firearm, maybe a snare will be the only thing that will keep you alive? Hopefully i'd never have to do it, i've seen deer caught in things and it's pretty distressing to have to watch them suffer like that. The noise is horrendous too.

Another thought on the snaring a deer issue, if this tactic did have to be used in a wilderness survival scenario, does anyone else think that it could be of use for keeping the meat fresher longer? A caught deer could be kept until needed, no? I'm not saying they are going to be easy to keep hold of, but it's a thought.

Hell if you could catch the things, you keep them to use when needed. Having seen the damage a deer can do though, i'll think i'll leave that plan as a last resort though lol.

At the end of the day, we practise the skills that are going to keep us alive. Is it just the size of the animal that we practise on that makes it cruel?

CX.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: City Born...City Bred...But Rural/Bush trained by parents and grandparents who were all Rural/Bush born and bred but moved to city for work. Both my grandfathers were military men and had originated on Australian farms (my fathers stepfather, my Pop [deceased] used to run stations singlehandedly for months on end and I would say had personally fixed over 2000km+ of fencing during his lifetime] and as such ran their respective families in a military manner. As such I got a large dose of Australian pride in our diggers. So when my parents acquired 100 acres 100km south of the city I have lived my nearly whole life in and my father was forced by council rules to cull the rabbit population and having been trained as a military cadet himself, he acquired a spring powered air rifle and a 2nd hand german .22 bolt action rifle, he subsequently trained me and my 2 brothers (all young teenagers) how to properly maintain,clean,shoot etc with both rifles, and how to track and hunt various animals and finally how to butcher and preserve the kill. At age 15yrs I could put the full magazine (I'm pretty sure its a 6 round box magazine) plus the one bullet prechambered into a 4 inch target at 50mtrs in 15 seconds from half prone position but easily 60% of my rifle kills were done from a blind at 20mtrs and the rest [40%] at ranges well over 50mtrs (never over 120mtrs or my dad would of shot me!!! I had to know 100% for sure that if the bullet missed or went completely through the target that it would ground itself not more than 5 meters beyond the target and for that reason I have never fired a gun any where but down into a valley type of environment so that the bullet 99.999% always grounds itself !!! (I had 1 ricochet that went skyward after it had exited a targeted rabbit and hit a smallish rock behind it, but luckily it only gained about 2mtrs of height before slamming into a large tree trunk about 10mtrs further back.). My first kill was a small rabbit at dusk at 80mtrs down hill and although I hit it with my first shot it wasn't a headshot and didn't kill it instantly. The bullet had hit it in the front lower left ribcage and had exited via the right collarbone, dragging the poor things lungs half out the exit wound. As soon as I saw it drop in the scope I knew I had a major problem and I jumped up from half prone position and handed the rifle to my father and sprinted like I was as fast as lightning over to my unfortunate victim. I quickly broke its neck like my father had showed me and my brothers on dead rabbits he had shot when training us to shoot. I felt its life slip through my hands the instant it died at my bloody hands and for a second I was caught between 2 opposing emotions and subsequent mental states but one quickly overcame the other and I've never had problems with death since. Since then I have personally learned how to trap and snare and net small game as I had to pay for every bullet I fired!

Personal Disclosure: Know where your food comes from and what it takes to put it on your plate! Squeamishness never fed anyone!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I am great at dispatching a fish quickly and have done so many times.

Here in the UK it is not so easy to go and hunt dear unless you have a game keeper friend who might let you try.

I have seen how to kill a rabbit quickly but have yet to try this myself.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tarpon68

I've hunted, killed and skinned deer, pigeons, squirrels, jackdaws, crows, rabbits and a few other things. I also have experience in survival fishing techniques, like using a baited line overnight.

It's not that hard really.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
SERIOUSLY MOST PEOPLE HERE IN THE USA WOULD DIE!!!! I have friends who are educated who have NO idea where thier meat comes from, NO clue. THey have never held a gun! They would not even know where to aim it if one was given to them! I do not think they would have the wear-with-all to even manage to kill domestic livestock!

If faced with starvation most people would get to the point they would try but by then they would be weakened by thier hunger and since thier first bunch of attempts would most likely fail, I am not sure they would be realistically able to overcome thier learning curve in time to save themsleves or thier families!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I gotta say, I'm not advocating snaring a deer more than what you have to to stay in practice. It might make the meat taste terrible, but you can still eat it. It's a skill that not everyone can perform and you need to be proficient in it for those times without ammo. Gotta keep that skill alive.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

silo, you can get off your high horse. "Seasoned hunters?" Is that what you consider yourself?

That's a BS claim about ruining the meat and the skin. Proper snaring does neither!

Second, I am trying options where one may not be very smart to use firearms such as you "seasoned hunters."

And let me tell you about the "sport" aspect of getting meat. It's not a sport, as much as a high number of "seasoned hunters" would like to present themselves. Blowing a hole in a deer with a firearm from a distance is not as sporting as you'd like to believe.

But if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

I'm talking about getting meat. Quietly.

I stalk turkey, and get my share, but according to all the sanitized and approved hunting magazines, this is next to impossible. I don't use calls, I don't camo up, and I've probably bagged more turkey than you've seen.

I grew up hunting turkey with a .22 bolt action. A shot to the head or neck, and we ate.

If I'm firearm hunting for hogs or deer, I use a .44 Magnum pistol with iron sights. Everyone else looks at me like I'm crazy, has their fancy scoped rifles, outfitted in camo, use the tricks as the magazines recommend, and they go home without any meat most of the time. Unless I give them some of mine.

Me? If I have my pistol with handloads, anything under 125 yards, I own.

When snaring? I'm usually dozing nearby, and when the sound maker goes off, I'm on that deer, and fast.

I fill widow's freezers, help a neighbor fill her freezer - a lady who has three kids to feed and provide for on her own.

Now, if you're really a "seasoned hunter" interesting in being "sporting," go out there with a spear. A spear won't mess up any meat, and in fact, repeated stabbings have a tenderizing effect.

A lot more sporting than a long gun.

I don't think I'll even mention fishing with explosives (one of my military specialties), or high voltage.

Might upset "seasoned fishermen's" delicate sensitivities.

And no, I don't catch and release.

I eat.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by dooper]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm sorry but not all snarers are out for bloodsport. Some animals (beaver) are best snared as catching them other ways is difficult according to a pest controller i knew from Canada. Also practicing these skills is important.

Snaring deer wouldn't be the way i would go, spring loaded traps are best for that. Either that or a good deadfall. However your comment about it destroying the meat is not correct at all, the hide also will not be majorly damaged.

In a survival situation you forget about humane, i'm sorry but that's the truth. One of the best ways would be to set as many traps as you can, for multiple types of game and routinely check the traps. This maximises the chance of getting something whilst reducing energy expenditure. With spare time you can forage for edible plants.

Practicing these skills is essential before actually attempting them in the wild as building deadfall or spring loaded traps for large game is extremely dangerous.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

In a word?
Bow hunt.
Been doing it for over 25 years.
Along with pistol and rifle, small and large game of all kind, over two continents. Skinning, gutting and butchering - from on the foot to in the freezer - myself.

Dozing near by a deer snare?
rotfl
Yeah, right.
That's the biggest fish story I heard all day.

Whatever.

Deer snaring?
It's illegal.
End of snaring deer discussion on ATS.

peace

[edit on 30-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I'm sorry but not all snarers are out for bloodsport. Some animals (beaver) are best snared as catching them other ways is difficult according to a pest controller i knew from Canada. Also practicing these skills is important.

Snaring deer wouldn't be the way i would go, spring loaded traps are best for that. Either that or a good deadfall. However your comment about it destroying the meat is not correct at all, the hide also will not be majorly damaged.

My meaning is snaring deer - IMO - is a bloodsport - especially when you've got a bozo who says he sleeps near by, and says he *loves it* - after telling how strong those suckers are.

As for beaver and small game, you're right. Best case scenario - snare.
I don't like it as I've come across too many snares lazy trappers have left too long before controlling, but, in a world where all hunters are responsible and caring - it's the best means for, as you say, beaver etc.

peace

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Sanring of deer? It's illegal.
End of snaring deer discussion on ATS.

peace

It's not illegal in other countries, does ATS only abide by US law? If so then i'll be happy for a mod to delete my posts. I would never snare a deer simply because they may break free of it. Deadfalls and spring loaded traps are the way to go, bow hunting is great but we are in a survival forum, and trapping is more efficient than hunting.

That's not to say hunting doesn't have it's place of course! If traps aren't working then bow hunting is a very efficient way to get food. However stalking deer is not something you should just try first time in a bad situation. As you've done it you know how tricky it can be sometimes.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

My meaning is snaring deer - IMO - is a bloodsport - especially when you've got a bozo who says he sleeps near by, and says he *loves it* - after telling how strong those suckers are.

Well i'm right there with you in thinking that snaring deer when you aren't in a survival situation is unnecessary and cruel. Also to "love" snaring is not right either. I love hunting as the challenge is there, the meat tastes great and importantly the animal dies quickly. Snaring isn't pretty, the animal will suffer.

So i understand why you were angry, my apologies for not understanding right away

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

They are the same as any other animal.

They are loved, and that's why they'll die a slow, painful death. They don't know how to get outside, and if they did, they would die by the elements in days.

I love my cats. I love them so much that I allow them to ruin my apartment even though I spend countless hours trying to train them. Good cats, but they are terrible pets.

In the end, do you have kids? The only thing I'd be willing to die for is my kids and my wife. Granted, I have neither yet, but I need to keep that stance to be fair.

We, sadly are the top of the food chain due to our mental capacity. We must take advantage of this, or many people would die.

If you aren't willing to take advantage of excess meat, you will probably allow either yourself or you family die faster than most... The SHTF scenario requires an efficient person to qualify. If you aren't willing, you'll probably die sooner than later.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join