It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused about Muslims? Give one a call

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Confused about Muslims? Give one a call

www.chron.com

Ever wonder what the Quran has to say about terrorism? Why Muslim women wear veils? What Islam teaches about Jesus?

Ask a Muslim. All you have to do is call 1-877-WHY-ISLAM.

A billboard advertising the toll-free number sprang up last month on FM 1960 near Interstate 45. Similar ones have also been posted in San Antonio, Dallas, El Paso and two dozen other U.S. cities.

The billboards are part of a nationwide campaign by the Islamic Circle of North America to educate non-Muslims about Islam and promote interfaith dialogue.

Calls to the hot line are answered in New Jersey by ICNA volunteers, who field an average of 1,000 queries a month on everything from the life of the Prophet Muhammad to the definition of jihad. The billboard also advertises a Web site, www.whyislam.org, where people can e-mail questions, participate in discussion forums, request free copies of the Quran, or schedule a visit to a mosque.

“The idea was to help answer the questions that people have about Islam,” said ICNA board member Hanif Harris, a 38-year-old Realtor from Clear Lake. “This way, they’ll get the answers directly from Muslims.”

Harris, who grew up in Philadelphia, converted to Islam in 1991. Over the years, he’s often had to correct misconceptions about Islam among co-workers and family members.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Well, now islam has it's own 1800 number for you to call if you have questions about Islam.
I dare anyone to call these people and see if they try to convert you. Report back here if you do haha!

Here's more;

Funded by local chapter

Shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, his mother called him up and asked if he was thinking of becoming a suicide bomber. Harris was dumbfounded. “I said, ‘Mom, you know, suicide is a sin! No, I’m not thinking about being a suicide bomber.’ I said, ‘Don’t judge Islam by what you see in some Muslims. Judge Islam by what’s in the Quran. There’s nowhere it says in our Quran to kill and murder innocent people.’ ”

Of course, most people can’t simply call up a Muslim relative to discuss Islam. That’s why Harris hopes ICNA’s toll-free number and Web site will help Muslims and non-Muslims talk to each other.

“When you watch CNN or MSNBC, you hear so much that is negative about Muslims, so for somebody who doesn’t know much about Islam, they would turn on the news and think, ‘Wow, Muslims, they really don’t like us,’ ” he said. “So this is a way for us to really build bridges with people of other faiths and let them know we’re not like what you might hear on the news.”

ICNA’s Houston chapter paid $3,000 for the billboard in north Harris County with donations from local Muslims, said ILyas Choudry, coordinator for the group’s charitable arm, Helping Hands. The 44-year-old civil engineer from west Houston said he hopes to raise enough money to keep the billboard year-round, moving it to different locations throughout the Houston area every three months.

The goal is to counter stereotypes about Muslims and spread God’s word, not to convert anybody, Choudry said.

“The Quran says, ‘There is no compulsion in religion,’ ” he said. “Our job is not to convince people, our job is just to convey that message.”
Treated with respect

Although most callers to the hot line are polite and curious, a few do have axes to grind, said Ashfaq Parkar, assistant coordinator of ICNA’s “Why Islam” project.

“Sometimes you find that people will start out a little bit aggressive or hostile, but it’s important for people answering the calls to think, ‘Why are people like this?’ They have certain impressions and that’s why they’re calling,” Parkar said. “We treat everyone with respect, and we try to understand their views and engage with them.”

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Interesting post,found this article of the origins of the ICNA - it could be the case that they're not so moderate after all.

The Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) was founded in 1971, via the Muslim Students Association (MSA), as an umbrella group for South Asian-oriented mosques and Islamic centers.
When ICNA was created, it was to act as the American counterpart to the Muslim Brotherhood of Pakistan, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI).
Indeed, if one looks at the web domain information for ICNA’s official website (as well as the site for Why Islam), he/she will find that the site is registered to farrukh.net, a former mirror (replica) site of JI’s media division. Today, farrukh.net is being used to showcase the works of Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Islahi, a Jamaat leader.
Further evidence of the connection between ICNA and JI is found in a July 2000 “Unity Meeting” that took place in New York between ICNA and its Baltimore-based rival, Jamaat al-Muslimeen.
Speaking for the side of ICNA, in his native language of Urdu, was none other than the President (Amir) of JI, Qazi Hussain Ahmad (who is still the head of JI).
During the meeting, he stressed the need for “participation in Jihad;” he stated that “Islam must be translated into political dominance;” and he said that “the sword and the Quran go together…” His sharp rhetoric was not unusual, given his public support for the Taliban and his numerous get-togethers with Osama bin Laden.
While Ahmad’s communication with the head of Al-Qaeda is serious, his organization’s dealings with Hamas are much more damning. And ICNA’s involvement in this is apparent, as well.

www.frontpagemag.com...

Other:
www.militantislammonitor.org...

As for the ICNA's claims regarding their bias interpretation of abrahamic lore,this link is an interesting read for a balanced perspective:
www.thereligionofpeace.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'de like to post a great, well thought out and intellectual reply,
but it appears I have to point something north ( or is it east).

Actually I gotta go back and............ but no...

I am not going anywhere !

When are we going to sit back and be HAPPY with who we are?

Got a problem with Muslims?

Bring them on.

I welcome you with open arms brother.

I welcome your sisters too.... I dont care if thats ok.

Come to my home.

Share my food.

Leave your guns, your bombs, and your racism at the door.

And we will be friends.

I think that covers it.

Mungo

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It seems to me that this is a perfectly reasonable way of educating the public without having zionists in the loop.

Because Islam is the fastest growing religion in the US, I don't think Muslims need misrepresent the purpose of the Toll Free number or use deception as a means to an ends.

I think things like this are an excellent was to undo the slander of Islam to the American public by extremists and zionists.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
It seems to me that this is a perfectly reasonable way of educating the public without having zionists in the loop.

Because Islam is the fastest growing religion in the US, I don't think Muslims need misrepresent the purpose of the Toll Free number or use deception as a means to an ends.

I think things like this are an excellent was to undo the slander of Islam to the American public by extremists and zionists.

Here we go again? This thread has something to do with zionists? masonwatcher, be careful about trying to deflect this thread into something that sounds anti-Semitic. Give it a rest.

While I appreciate the attempted muslim outreach by setting up the 800 number, I'm also troubled by the thoughts and actions of the people behind the scenes, as was mentioned in a previous post.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm not confused about Islam at all. I know exactly what it is.

However, for those that are, it is good to have an official source of information that can educate.

BIG PROBLEM - there are many different groups within Islam and they all think they are the ones following Islam while the others are off base. Much like there are bunches and bunches of different Christian groups. How can one source of information on Islam be 'THE SOURCE' when they themselves can't even decide what is right in their own religion and what isn't?

For Catholics - it's the Vatican.
For Protestants - each particular group has it's own council.
But for Islam?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by masonwatcher

Here we go again? masonwatcher, be careful about trying to deflect this thread into something that sounds anti-Semitic. Give it a rest.

While I appreciate the attempted muslim outreach by setting up the 800 number, I'm also troubled by the thoughts and actions of the people behind the scenes, as was mentioned in a previous post.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by centurion1211]

No..

FFS

I play rock music with a " MUSLIM"

Duck and weave.... duck and weave.

Why do you attack rational thinking.

Extreme will always be extreme.
Moderate and beer go a long way.

If folk with your opinion just sit back and had same beer life would be good.

Osama..... "MY SHOUT ! "

Mungo

Edit to CLARIFY MY POINT

Its not about Osama, its about tolerance and understanding.
Mungo
[edit on 28/1/2009 by mungodave]

[edit on 28/1/2009 by mungodave]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
Well, now islam has it's own 1800 number for you to call if you have questions about Islam.
I dare anyone to call these people and see if they try to convert you. Report back here if you do haha!

Actually Muslims are not that bad about trying to convert folks. Not nearly as bad as Christians.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks for this post. I think it's really a great idea that they had to inform people about Islam. My neighbors are muslim and incredibly nice people, both of them started off their lives as non-muslims. They have a number of muslim friends who visit and at no point have they ever tried to convert me to Islam.

I however don't see this as more propaganda than any number of christian lines - I am a Christian.

And it is definitely less inocuous than the free trips to israel for anybody with even the slightest connection to the Jewish faith. Try collecting your free trip to Israel and for them not to try and convert you.

Birthright

FREE FREE FREE

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm not confused about Islam at all. I know exactly what it is.

However, for those that are, it is good to have an official source of information that can educate.

BIG PROBLEM - there are many different groups within Islam and they all think they are the ones following Islam while the others are off base. Much like there are bunches and bunches of different Christian groups. How can one source of information on Islam be 'THE SOURCE' when they themselves can't even decide what is right in their own religion and what isn't?

For Catholics - it's the Vatican.
For Protestants - each particular group has it's own council.
But for Islam?

I think a search on the internet will definitely get you any number of radical Christian groups - that we call cults.

And then we haven't even started on the "religious" group Scientology

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by aboxoftrix

Actually Muslims are not that bad about trying to convert folks. Not nearly as bad as Christians.

I lock my doors on Saturday.

Mormons.

Heard it all every other Saturday,

Your point is?

My point....... dont give it unless its asked.
Mungo

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Wrong centurion1211!

Muslims have a little zionist monkey on their backs when it comes to misrepresentation by groups like Hasbera, Bnia' Brith, MEMRI/Site.org and Clarion Fund.

The Clarion Fund is a front for the zionist Aish Ha Torah, a Mossad sponsored yeshiva. They describe themselves as a charity that provides national security through education and their charitable status is as a 501(c)(3) organization.

They produced a hate speech anti-Islam video and distributed it as newspaper inserts for over 20 million household in the Midwest only a few months ago. This is one of many campaigns stoked by zionists in the US.

clarionfund.org...

www.nowpublic.com...

So you see, it is not me that needs to do any quitting, but the hate mongers.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

But again, this thread isn't about zionism. It's about an 800 number to get information about muslims. Your deflection attempts are pathetic and will get no more 'assists' by way of responses from me.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

But again, this thread isn't about zionism. It's about an 800 number to get information about muslims. Your deflection attempts are pathetic and will get no more 'assists' by way of responses from me.

Personally I thought the thread was about how one religious group was spreading the word on their religion, and I think many others were saying that there is nothing ominous about that as many other religious groups do the same thing. Including Israel offering a 10 day free trip. Friends of mine who went on the trip said it was fun but a bit propaganda oriented as they were frequently pulsed to embrace their jewish heritage and marry jewish partners.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

you forgot to leave your number.

you know you want to.

Its fairly obvious your mind is made up.

Bigotry notwithstanding.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

That's true. And it proves my point some more.

There are tons of different Christian groups. Each has a different take on what a 'good' christian is. Islam has different groups within it as well. I don't think that there is any one central figure or group that can speak for all of Islam to explain it, since they can't agree amongst themselves about Islam. Heck .. they kill each other over who is doing 'Islam' right.

I applaud that there is a place trying to educate people.

But remember that they dont' speak for all muslims.
There are many different beliefs within Islam.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is a great idea, maybe journalists will use it to fact check their articles! haha fat chance.

It has saddened me that one of the more moderate areas of the world has been turned upside down because of a popular misconception about their faith.

Most of you americans won't even understand how this is possible but before september 11th i had a good understanding of international terrorism (mainly due to the irish troubles and spanish sepratism) and a deep and profound interest into the middle east.

While we see many Islamic customs as being outdated and in some cases offensive we always forget that most of the world finds opulence and western imperialism to be offensive. The history of Islam treats women far better for example than does the history of Christianity, in fact you could say that the reason Women felt oppressed enough to throw themselves in front of horses in christian society but not islamic is because of the harsher treatment they suffered.

We like Darth Vader have invaded and stolen huge chunks of the middle east, then with our economic might managed to control the entire region and basically enslave it. This is why OBL wanted to strike against the 'world trade center' because through economic terrorism we had been attacking the middle east for a long time. How is anyone seeing this not going to be angry?

Yeah some clergy and rabble rousers used sections of the Koran to support their call for war, they borrowed Mohamads Ji'had and talked of Old Testiment Holy wars -it's not like our Holy books are any different, The Phelps Family can prove that 'god hates fags' and Jehovas Witnesses can prove only 144,000 Childless men will go to Heaven, Woman aren't aloud to talk in church or show their face, you must stone your family with stones if they ask you to worship another god, the list goes on.

Then all of a sudden Islamic websites stared to fill with Bush quotes, clips of Bill'o calling for 'a glass parking lot' or Rush demanding we bomb Mecca - How then with so much ample evidence that america really is 'the great satan' is the average Muslim going to be able to deny or oppose Ji'had -that is to say, the struggle against evil oppressors.

Maybe this phone service will let people discover the side of Islam Fox news doesn't care about, maybe when the middle east sees america is starting to calm down and obama isn't bush the tension will ease, maybe america will stop being so evil -HA RITE! more hope americas economy collapses and she returns to her normal isolationism.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Free trips to Israel? can i go even if i'm not jewish? I could say that i think my granny was a crypto-jew, i doubt they care as l'm willing to move into a 'politically important area' such as the gaza strip or golon hights.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

The links are above and I think the rules are pretty strict though. You must have either a jewish mother or father AND NOT be practising the religion? If you are a practising jew then you are not entitled to this FREE trip! Indoctrinate much?

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join