It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Officials Tells Citibank To Ditch Plans For $50 Million Private Jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Obama Officials Tells Citibank To Ditch Plans For $50 Million Private Jet

www.huffingtonpost.com

According to a report from ABC News, President Obama is not taking kindly to corporate greed, especially when it's funded by taxpayer money.

The high-flying execs at Citigroup caved under pressure from President Obama and decided today to abandon plans for a luxurious new $50 million corporate jet from France...

ABC News has learned that Monday officials of the Obama administration called Citigroup about the company's new $50 million corporate jet and told execs to "fix it."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Citi Jet Purchase: $50 Million, 12-Seat Plane Despite $45 Billion Bailout

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Are we finally going to have some real leadership and accountability in Washington? I hope so, it's about damn time.

I've been seeing some good signs out of the Obama administration so far, let's hope this isn't just for show and President Obama keeps a short leash on all these Wall St. crooks that got our money!

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Good job, Obama. S&F.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
look i am always generally against any president including obama

i am very critical of them at every turn

But...

Good job Obama, Lets hope this is for real

lets hope this corruption gets cleaned up

i am cynical however, and i think there must be a "catch" to this...
but what could it be?

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
...and as they are all enjoying the high life on taxpayers money, the least they could do is use public transport or drive themselves. And if they need to fly then fly coach class too.

Learn to live like the rest of us have to you bottom feeding pond life leeches.

OoooH!, That was a bit of a rant.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's for SHOW! This is the same fool that just spent 150 MILLION dollars on a fancy party on Jan 20th! Do you REALLY think he cares about this issue??? If I were Citi I would feel justified in blowing 50 million dollars of taxpayer money on a new jet after *SNIP* spent 3 times that much on a party!

Come on people, there is NOTHING that obama does that is NOT for HIS own good, even appearing to look like he gives a ^&^U% about taxpayer's money.

WHEN will the sheeple wake up?

Originally posted by converge

Are we finally going to have some real leadership and accountability in Washington? I hope so, it's about damn time.

I've been seeing some good signs out of the Obama administration so far, let's hope this isn't just for show and President Obama keeps a short leash on all these Wall St. crooks that got our money!

www.huffingtonpost.com

Mod Edit: 1g.) Political Baiting: You will not engage in politically-charged rhetoric, politically-inspired name-calling, and related right-versus-left political bickering while posting in any topical forum or discussion thread on AboveTopSecret.com. You will not alter political candidate names or party affiliations in order to insult or deride the opposition. i.e. "Shrillary", "McSame", "Obamanazi's", "Repukelicans", etc...

[edit on 1/28/09 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm with usapatriot.

This is all for show. Obama is the same person that appointed Gheithner to head the Treasury.

You know the guy that tax evaded and only paid because he got nominated. Not to mention his finger prints are all over the tarp money.

So Citi doesn't buy a 50 million dollar jet instead they go and blow 50 million on something else. Big deal.

Quit drinking the Kool-aide.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Right on! Those opposed to Obama may want to keep talking about how there will be no change but we have been seeing change every day since he took office. I hope he keeps it up and does not let us down!

I am one happy kid, that is for sure!

Originally posted by usapatriot
It's for SHOW! This is the same fool that just spent 150 MILLION dollars on a fancy party on Jan 20th! Do you REALLY think he cares about this issue???

You seem so incredibly opposed to seeing anything good in the man mate. Yes he had the most expensive inauguration ever. 300,000 showed up to see Bush, 1.5 million to see Obama. Bush spent $45 mllion, Obama $150. Seems about right to me mate.

And based on how her is handling the issue while in office makes it seem pretty clear he cares about the issue.

Don't care to believe it? Fine.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Animal]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
what conditions were attached to loaning money to citibank?
Are they going to pay it back?
Im just asking because if I loan money to someone and they buy nothing but chocolate I dont care as long as I get my money back.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Did they really listen to Obama or did they do it because of the bad PR they were getting in addition to annoying their current and potential future customers?

I pick the latter.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Europe
what conditions were attached to loaning money to citibank?

Not to piss it all up the wall, I would imagine.

Are they going to pay it back?

Not at this rate.

Im just asking because if I loan money to someone and they buy nothing but chocolate I dont care as long as I get my money back.

If you'd lent that money to a business - one who needed the money as it had spent the last 20 years eating the most expensive chocolate known to mankind and fiddling the books - and you asked what they had done with your money, and they said "bought more great chocolate", you wouldn't be very happy would you? Especially as it looks increasingly unlikely they will never give you your money back.

[edit on 28/1/09 by FatherLukeDuke]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by usapatriot
obongo

obongo?

what does that mean exactly?

[edit on 28/1/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by usapatriot

That's 170 million going right into the pockets of the thousands of working Americans who made the event happen. Yeah, what a shame.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well in all fairness, isn't it a bit soon to be saying this is all for show?

I do have to wonder though how ABC got the story, seeing as ABC was the organization given preference already. Hmm, ain't much wondering to it, really.

Well, here we go. ABC: the new media parrot Absolute BS Corporation. Beware.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by usapatriot

That's 170 million going right into the pockets of the thousands of working Americans who made the event happen. Yeah, what a shame.

they started paying volunteers? man i knew i should have pretended to volunteer on the 19th...

--------

And since when did the prez get a say in the going on's a private company? or did we all get ownership of it when BB bailed them out?

[edit on 28-1-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well in all fairness, isn't it a bit soon to be saying this is all for show?

Like I said in my OP, I like what Obama is doing so far and this is a good thing, but it will be just for show if he isn't always tough with the banks whenever taxpayers money is being neglectfully spent, as it was in this occasion.

As some other posters mentioned, the public knew about this and were already up in arms, from that perspective it wasn't politically hard to be against Citigroup in this situation.

If he did because politically there was really no other choice, then it was for show. If he continues to be tough on these banks and corporations because it's the right thing and for the sake of taxpayers, then it won't be just for show.

But I reserve judgment regardless of how much I like Obama or believe he will do a good job, because he is still a politician.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Hmmm. No, security and police we paid. The barricades, and people who design and construct were paid. Local contractors were paid. It gave a small boost to the local economy. Yea, it's D.C., but people still work and live there.

new topics

top topics

join