It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Winter Storm in 20+ years!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
We are getting it here in northeast oklahoma,

It is so slick already that the Hound fell down the back porch stairs when I took him out to potty and the Husky wanted no part of being outside either. And we have 36 more hours to go.

It took me 20 minutes to defrost my car at 5 pm.

Even the mall closed early tonight and may not open tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

That is true! My children are grown and out in the world, so it will just be me and my hubby...a tent and a candle could be fun though!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

This a a huge and powerful system. I dread having to get up and slide my way to work tomorrow. Its not me that scares me either, its these people in the big SUV's and 4x4's that think their vehicle won't slide! You take care and stay warm!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Ok, thought I would update you all. The ice is really starting to get thick, my porch is covered. Right now it is a freezing rain/sleet mixture as I can hear it hitting my windows. The ground is already white with it and this is just the first 2 hours out of 48!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I am so JEALOUS of you guys! I'm in SC and all we ever get is one day of flurries that doesn't even stick. We get so excited only to be let down again.
The last time it snowed of substance (lol, 1 inch) was 4 years ago, the same year as one of the big ice storms which knocked the power out in our city for 4 days. Even ice seems to be an adventure around here. ENJOY it for me pleeeaaasssseeeee!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Ok, as long as my power doesn't go out and I make it to work in one piece in the morning, I will personally get down and kiss the icy ground for ya!

The last really big storm we had was in 78/79. We had 10 foot snow drifts! I was a kid and we dug tunnels all over the yard! Those were the days!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I also live in W. Ky and can hear the ice hitting the roof. What worries me is the damage that was done in our area after what was left of hurricane Ike came through. The trees are weak and won't handle much ice without going down. Add to that I live alone in an all electric mobile home and that makes for a scary night tonight! Thanks to ATS I've learned how to survive! All will be well! Thank you ATS!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Your thread alerted me to the severity of the storm, and for that, I'm thankful. The last I checked the weather, I saw we were supposed to get some freezing rain and snow. I didn't realize we were due for such a bad winter storm though.

After reading your post, my husband and I drove across the road to the grocery store to stock up on wood since we recently depleted our supply. We've lots of food and water, and now let's keep our fingers crossed (and toes too!) that we don't lose electricity.

I live in Louisville, and I do remember last year's ice & snow storm. That was no fun at all; however, we never lost power so that's something to be thankful for.

I hope you and other folks in the path of the storm will be safe, sound, and cozy warm.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cornblossom

Thats great! I am glad that were able to get needed supplies in time!!
I am afraid that we are all in for a rough few days! Hopefully this will be old man winters last hooray for this year! Take care and stay warm!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Being 45 min north of Cincinnati, I just have the snow. Looks dry and powdery so no snowballs. Still in round 1 here, although round 2 looks like I might get the ice and sleet.

All electric apartment but I have my propane back ups and water for just such an occasion. But in the meantime having fun listening to Jim Scott on WLW go through the school closing listings and happy the work picked the right week for the layoff.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My son lives in Western Kentucky, and this morning about six(five his time!!) my phone rings.

"Mom?"

"Son?"

"We don't have school today!"

He said the electricity was out, and it was scary because he could hear the limbs snapping off the trees and hitting the roof. I told him here in Louisville, we had SNOW! About half way up our tires (I plan to snap some pix later on when it is lighter out and post in this thread).

And then I told him Momma was going sledding later!

I hope everyone stays safe and warm!

We have ice on the way, the local weathermen all claim.

link   
man u guys that is not bad at all the weather in alaska is whack. its strange. we went from -60 to 40 above within 2 days......not only that in the next couple of days its suppose to drop back down to -70 i have lived here for a long tim and never have i seen temperatures that cold!!!! i think global warming can go both ways!!! it just depneds on how it happens

link   
reply to post by Greenize

My thoughts are definitely with everyone there. They were talking about it on my local news station this morning, since we are just out of the woods of getting what you are.

I can't imagine what 2 inches of ice might do.

Stay safe, and I know everyone will help all those in need out - in case of no electricity.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
you guys are the reason i love america, so carring, be safe, hopefully you have some candles. incase u guys dont know carboard infront of your cars radiator helps it in the winter
hope you guys have lots of tea and coco, and maybe some cards

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
you guys are the reason i love america, so carring, be safe, hopefully you have some candles. incase u guys dont know carboard infront of your cars radiator helps it in the winter
hope you guys have lots of tea and coco, and maybe some cards

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
ooooohhhhhh another tip in alaska we like to carry candles and sleeping bags in our vehicles. verry hand enough candles and asleeping bag will save your life!!!!!! -TIP incase you get stranded

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Update from NorthWest Arkansas.
Woke up this morning to quite a bit of ice on the trees and powerlines, but it looks like we received a god-send. It is 34degrees outside right now and for the most part, the roads are good.
I just hope we don't lose power, as I'll have to leave my crappy rental place. I think I just heard a transformer blow off in the distance...

Weird thing though, I just took my wife in to work and on the way home I was noticing that the sky is being lit up occasionally completely GREEN.
I guess that is lightning, but it was scary to look at. I've never seen so many lightning strikes when there was ice all over everything.

Anyhow, we are definately not out of the woods yet, though. This storm system is massive.
Hope everyone stays safe.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
OMG i live in Lexington and Western KY isnt even supposed to get that much snow. Were getting 7". Seriously people- this is called winter. Snow happens. Why is a thread being posted about this? Its not unusual. Its not the beginning of the end... *yawn*

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

Something people have overlooked is that a lot of people are getting inundated with ICE, not snow. This is a serious storm. If you don't like following this thread, then don't. *yawn*

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
OMG i live in Lexington and Western KY isnt even supposed to get that much snow. Were getting 7". Seriously people- this is called winter. Snow happens. Why is a thread being posted about this? Its not unusual. Its not the beginning of the end... *yawn*

OMG , WTF...LOL...IMNSHO I suppose this thread is being posted because the OP found it "UNUSUAL"l for their area and SHTDI since the weatherman said it is "the worst storm in 20 years" AFAIC it's true. BTW , FWIW there is a big world outside of Lexington KY AFAIK Lexington is not the center of the universe. Yes , you are right this is called winter , before winter came it was fall and after winter comes something called spring should return. I'm sorry dangerous weather conditions don't excite you and cause you to "*yawn*" IMAO that was TMI , JAT it's really annoying to read acronyms instead of words. WADR YSHFRTT.

To the OP , stay warm and keep the fire stoked & stay safe down there , keep us updated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join