It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something GOOD just happened... why?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I know I'm feeling more optimistic now, and to show it my whole family has been eating out every night since the inauguration! In addition to that, we bought a new SUV, maxxed out our credit cards, and got a loan for a bigger house. With Barack in office now, we know better times are just around the corner!

We're not being irresponsible about it though, we fully intend to pay it all off when our stimulus check gets here..

[edit on 26-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So am I to understand that the assertion is, because Obama is in office everything is just hunky dory?

Is it possible that because, as you aledge, 90% of the folks in there are Obama supporters that they are in the 'honeymoon' phase and living under the false assumption that Obama made it all instantly better.

This is without a doubt a ridiculous notion and a spurious correlation. Anecdotal at best.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
HunkaHunka

You may not realize it, but it makes a lot of us feel a lot better about our situation. Not that we have $20 zapped in our pockets, but more because that $20 doesn't feel as scarce any more.

That does not say much for your average Obama fan's (I call them fans because it reminds me of pre-tweens at a NSync concert) intelligence. Obama has exacted the exact same policies as Bush so far.. over riding some executive orders of Bush's or reversing some minor policies like our stance on "Global Warming" are things ALL Presidents do to each other. Even Republicans do it to Republicans and vice versa.

But if that makes you feel like you have a better lot in life now that we have a new President.. good for you I guess.

Now, the last time I checked... that was a good thing for the economy.

People with no money now believing things are better when in actuality financially nothing has changed but still spend more money on luxuries..... is NOT good for the economy.

A Noodle shop just down the street from me shut down.. can I blame this on Obama then?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by Rockpuck

All sarcasm aside, I'm not saying it was possible that Obama was the direct cause, but there is a lot of happy folks right now because he was Inaugurated and because of what he has appeared to do in the first week.

You may not realize it, but it makes a lot of us feel a lot better about our situation. Not that we have $20 zapped in our pockets, but more because that $20 doesn't feel as scarce any more.

Now, the last time I checked... that was a good thing for the economy.

Now like I said... I'm not saying this WAS the reason.. it was just the first thing that popped to mind.

But either way, It was an odd occurrence, and I will report back next Sunday to see if it happened again. If so, I might very well ask a few people why they are there.

As a wise man once told me...

Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, and thrice indicates a theme.

Ok I'm just gonna ask about the part you inadvertently left out: were they all black? If so then you might be onto something.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
Here's a thought as to the cause...

Many people have already received their W-2's

Many tax companies are on TV advertising refunds by direct deposit in about 8 days.

HR Block is giving up to $1000 in advances on your tax return without even filing it yet, just show your W-2.

People are not afraid to spend when they know more money is coming in - like the tax return.

Wonder how this time next year will be

Wow... great point. I think that's probably the closest answer that feels right.

Thanks!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah, the economy felt fired up on Inauguration day.

www.bloomberg.com...

U.S. Stocks Slide in Dow Average’s Worst Inauguration Day Drop

By Elizabeth Stanton
Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks sank, sending the Dow Jones Industrial Average to its worst Inauguration Day decline, as speculation banks must raise more capital sent financial shares to an almost 14-year low...

And the rest of society felt fired up as well.

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

People felt so inspired the day of the inauguration they forgot to invest. Thats normal...

I saw people eating $18 buffets for breakfast, lunch AND dinner on inauguration day! The OP is right, it's probably Obama. No way on Earth that it happened to be a normal flux in business or the banners on the side of the road.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join