It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where You Won't Shop In 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Store closings and bankruptcies will hit a host of well-known stores in the coming year.

While industry executives and shoppers will remember 2008 as the year the party ended, figure 2009 to be the year of the hangover. Already, Circuit City, Linens 'N Things and Mervyn's stores are going away. Sharper Image is too, though the company will continue to sell some of its high-end gadgets through license agreements with other retailers.

More pain is on the way. One-third of U.S. women recently surveyed by America's Research Group said they plan no clothing purchases--none--in 2009. Normally, it's just 4%. That means the market is still far too saturated with stores.

www.forbes.com...

This ties in with a couple of my other threads as well - 25% of Retailers May Go Bankrupt - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Leading economist fears decade of weakness in US - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Emerging Giants Russia, China, Brazil and India Looming Collapse 2009 - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Empty offices are on the rise - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Im starting to see a very scary pattern here, im wondering if this is just some sort of transition pains or the death of an age, or the beginning of a new age? eather way, things are not looking so good at the moment for 2009+

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

Im starting to see a very scary pattern here, im wondering if this is just some sort of transition pains or the death of an age, or the beginning of a new age? eather way, things are not looking so good at the moment for 2009+

I see it as the begining of a new age and way of thinking. The upheval that the planet is experiencing in all aspects, how man treats fellow man as well as the planet patterns changing, becoming more violent, is akin to vomiting. Before you actually do vomit there is a period of feeling lousy, your stomach goes through spasms, your head is swimming and pounding and then you finally purge all that is making you sick. Then after this purging you feel much better and back to normal. That is what is happening to this planet right now. It is going though the spasms just prior to purging. There is still a lot of upheval to take place. Then the new begining can take place. It will take several years for all this to happen but that is what I feel we are in store for.

Peace

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

I was so saddened to see Goody's closing their doors in my town. It breaks my heart to think that people are losing their jobs left and right. I'm assuming Walmart wont be in that list anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
reply to post by Grock

I see it as the begining of a new age and way of thinking. The upheval that the planet is experiencing in all aspects, how man treats fellow man as well as the planet patterns changing, becoming more violent, is akin to vomiting. Before you actually do vomit there is a period of feeling lousy, your stomach goes through spasms, your head is swimming and pounding and then you finally purge all that is making you sick. Then after this purging you feel much better and back to normal. That is what is happening to this planet right now. It is going though the spasms just prior to purging. There is still a lot of upheval to take place. Then the new begining can take place. It will take several years for all this to happen but that is what I feel we are in store for.

Peace

[edit on 24-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

I fully agree with that. At least, i full on hope that this is true. Its the only way i can think positively about this. That its just a necessary step in our advancement/evolution. Lets hope that you are right and that this isnt just the tip of the iceburg in terms of just how bad its going to get/be.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
That forbes site does take awhile to load i guess, thought it wasnt there for a sec...

Another possible casualty: Sears Holdings (nasdaq: SHLD - news - people ), operator of Sears and Kmart stores. A key to hedge fund manager Eddie Lampert's 2005 merger of the two chains was in the underlying real estate. But with those values down 30% or so since then, slumping sales hit even worse.

"I'd be surprised if Sears-Kmart makes it through the year," says Britt Beemer, who runs retail market-research firm America's Research Group.

Starbucks and Sprint Nextel (nyse: S - news - people ) won't be going away, but they will close hundreds more stores during the coming year, Davidowitz predicts. Narrow specialties (Sprint's cellphones) and high prices (Starbucks' coffee) are tough sells as the consumer mood turns thrifty. What plagues Starbucks will also affect other upscale goody chains like Mrs. Fields' Cookies, and causal dining outlets like Applebee's and Cheesecake Factory (nasdaq: CAKE - news - people ). Any of the neighborhood outlets for those restaurant chains could be a casualty this year. For too many customers now, it's McDonald's (nyse: MCD - news - people ) or bust.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I will not be shopping in Wal-mart, I hate their stores their mess and poor quality items.

Heck I have not been in Wal-mart in a long time.

top topics

join