It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hard work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
How many of you all think you really work hard? i mean is it a labor of love or a labor of this Fing sucks.
i mean what really what defines hard work? i would consider my line of work hard and a pain in the arse! i love it though just could do with out all the customers that pay my paycheck haha,so ironic i hate what keeps me afloat,maybe its just me but i doubt it. if ya feel like i do or dont let me hear it!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Agreed, work should be fun, or at least engaging enough to provide a challenge that you learn from; Hard work implies being thorough and doing a good job imho.

I believe that If your job is "hard" for you, then you need to learn to do it better or ask for a raise, or quit.

parting thought for anyone that reads this.

(Nike's slogan creators were geniuses...)

"just do it"

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tungsten core

I hated my job at the liquor store, having to move around all the booze in the back and stock the cold coolers, dealing with drunks, and all the other hassles.

I loved my temp job at the Census Bureau, which could be labor intensive one day (moving stuff and file boxes) to the paperwork aspect. I was also a courier for them and loved to get out of the building and walk through the city to my destination.

It all depends on who you work for and the type of duties. Any job where one is not stuck indoors all day is not bad at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think the term "hard work" can be equally definitive of either situation. I would much rather prefer my hard work go into a labor of love than one of "this Fing sucks". That said, being out of work at the moment because the employers are saying that "they don't really 'need' anymore bilingual employees" which is really just a way of saying that they don't like my last name "Santiago". I've even stopped saying that I know Spanish on my applications....BLEH.

When I have work, if I really can't stand it...yeah I'll leave. It's not worth it.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Have you tried customer service (taking calls)? They always are looking for bilingual people to man the phones. Some places pay better than others, and the work environment depends on the supervisors. They can make working at those places a living hell, or one of the best places to be at.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

A couple of times, I've even tried telemarketing.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I do a job I hate but it pays well.
It's not my lifes work, it's just my job.
Sometimes they aren't the same thing, you just have to know the difference.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
What im really trying to say is how many of us are subjects/slaves to a piece of paper? why do we put our selfs through this,im guilty of this as well. Is it cause we have the need to fit into society or truly care for our loved one and to better our family. is it human nature to put ones self above our peers?

Magic taster,im sorry that you cant find fair work but im not trying to find empathy cause i like or disslike my job im very greatfull,but i also work in a field that takes specialized skills,and learning those skills only took a year to help me find a stable job yes even in these unstable times,not trying to be high and mighty!!!!

just saying if you truly have a skill or trade of value then finding work shouldnt be a big deal,wether or not you can speak spanish,english.
i do tons of work for illegal immigrants on a day to day bases.
Its crazy cause alot of them seem to be doing really well, half of them drive/own huge lifted trucks 4+ horse trailers ect, the other half run or work for tree trimming/landscaping companies and are doing well for them selfs.

dont really know if this pertains to what you were saying but i said it so there we go,much love and good luck for ya!!!!
sorry if im coming across as a big A-hole

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Tungsten core]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've often thought along the lines of the OP's post. I know hard work. I've been that guy on the side of the road swinging a shovel for the city. I've been that guy in some rich persons back yard swinging a pick axe trying to break up granite shale so that precious can have a beautiful topiary (manicured and shaped plants-think plants trimmed into the shape of animals etc...) installed. I've been that guy working from 6AM straight with no food or breaks till 12AM doing 12 income tax returns for clients on april 15th. To me all of the above is hard work.

Than there are the little pre madonnas who think that just because they are at their job or work, they know what hard work is.

I have a co worker. She thinks she works really hard. Bitches all the time about how hard her life is and how hard she works. Hardly. here's this girls daily routine at work.

Get up throw on some sweats.
Get stoned.
drive to work from malibu to where she works in richy rich land.
Arrive an hour late, but it's OK cause the boss doesn't get in till 11AM anyways.
Get stoned in the work parking lot.
Come in review some of her emails and inter office messages.
Decide to not do anything about half of them. some are simply below her to respond to (usually the inter office messages) the other ones she gets to eventually.
but first she has to brows the internet to read up on gossip and TMZ.
watch MTV on the satellite cable she has set up in her office.
Watch her favorite soap opera.
Call various employees up on their extensions and yell at them for not doing one thing or the other. even though what she usually whines about is everybody's responsibility in the office.
Go back to watching TV in the back ground. call her girlfriends in the industry and set up lunch and dinner dates so they can go out and have fun.
Look at a menu for 45 minutes deciding where her fat ass should go for lunch today. Go on her lunch break.
get stoned in the parking lot before she drives off.
gets stoned in the parking lot when she gets back.
Eventually gets around to doing some work. results in getting out maybe two or three deal memos or invoices to whomever. real tuff invoices like with maybe 6-12 items on them.
Whines about how everybody else isn't good at their job and needs to look for other things to do with their lives. (she tells newly hired office workers that they are in the wrong industry all the time hoping they will leave and go away-lest they upsurp her job standing)
Comes to me and asks me which one is the bass and which one is the guitar while listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I roll my eyes at her stupidity but tell her the answer anyways. ( that last point really pisses me off since we work in the record industry on high profile projects and she is so tone deaf she can't tell the difference between a bass and a guitar sound even when listening to funk- which would be like some high end art critic who is so color blind that they can't distinguish black from white literally)
Leaves early the second the boss goes for the day. Usually she'll split about 45 Min early.
get stoned in the parking lot.
ask me to cover for her if the boss calls in.
goes back to her house in malibu.
calls me on the way home while in traffic and I'm still at work usually picking up her slack to bitch about how hard her job is. A monkey could do the admin she does.

Thank god I am a manager and not in admin or I would go nuts having to report directly to this idiot.

You think I'm exaggerating. Nope. think I'm stretching the pot use. Nope. think I'm embellishing. Nope.

BTW. she gets $40,000 bonuses twice a year plus royalty commissions for doing all those really hard invoices each usually ranging from $7,000 to sometimes $40,000 every quarter (3 months) and a decent salary. Nice huh. she works real hard. real hard work ethic. OK though half the industry laughs at her behind her back.

Why does she get away with this? Howed she get the job even though she's never worked a day in her life before. Nepotisim. Yep her mommy is friends with the owner of the company. she get a free ride in life. awesome huh. go back to working really hard fellow posters here at ATS. go back to building integrity and character within your selves as you toil everyday just to break even. go back to enjoying your peanutbutter and jelly sandwich and top ramen for dinner as your reward for all your hard effort for the day.

She'll be at the Ivy eating a 15 dollar hamburger, with her other spoiled nepo friends in the industry, who live the same lifestyle, tonight. As for me. I'll still be working. actually out somewhere meeting clientele and trying to grease the tracks so a record deal can get accomplished somehow someway. Only to have to hand over the paper work for her retard ass to process, late, which is not good when the paper work involves sending the checks out to our clients.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I enjoy hard work IF i know what I'm doing and can almost guarantee a good result.

Up until a year ago I'd spent my entire working life behind a desk and knew all about getting tired from using my brain.

Then I moved to the country and discovered how much I enjoy hard, physical work. I can't pretend I'm that good at it and I mostly only do it when I feel like it but I'm actually thriving on it.

I've got a large garden to tend and half the trees in the forest shed their leaves into the garden this autumn, so there's a lot to do.

Plus, there's gathering firewood. I never could have imagined how much wood two wood-burning stoves require BUT I love doing it. I was out in the snow a few days ago heaving large lumps of wood home and couldn't have been much happier.

I've never worked so hard in my life and I'm not getting paid for it either. I've been seriously thinking of applying for a 'physical' job but I don't think anyone would take me seriously.

I think the big 'clue' to why I am doing so well is the fresh air. It's been working wonders for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It is my opinion that the only way for me to ever be happy working hard is by working only for myself.

Self employment, I think, is the one way that a person can fulfill just about any desire one wants. Such a pride, such a respect for your own ideas and diligence.

Sure, there are people who can be happy working for another, but I just don't fall under that category. My only problem right now, is that my job pays me enough to live through a recession in an expensive city, so if I leave it, I'm screwed.

Interesting question.. I think I'm a hard worker, but I'd work harder for myself.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I dont know if i type casted my self here lol,but i work for 30g a year yet have to manage a welding shop by my self so i am the manager,laborer,grunt,and salesman. not looking for pitty at all! i just want to make sure i dont come off as a poor me i make a 100g's a year and i have to deal with my cigarette boat not running right ect.

Santa,i know what ya mean like 300% my dream is to work for my self,i would be by now but the tools in the industry i work in are so dang expensive, i want to be building sick arse chopers aka motor cycles and trophy trucks with 900 horse power and 12 inch plus of wheel travel. one day i will and then i will want somthing else lol story of our lifes,well atleast mine.

peace and much love!!!

top topics

join