It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In A Dilemma!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
When my parents discovered that I had read into OBE's they thought it was a little phase and that all teenagers my age go through this "paranormal phase" (that's what my mom is calling it lol). This was about a couple weeks ago. My mom said that she would let me buy whatever book I wanted concerning the subject I am currently interested in, so I went and bought Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce today while visiting my sister at UC Davis. When I told her what I got, my whole family starting lecturing at me saying that I shouldn't get obsessed over OBE's because they're not real and have never been scientifically proven. That was the basis for my mom's arguement, that whatever has not yet been scientifically proven, she doesn't believe in (meaning OBE's). So basically at the end of all the lecturing and "concerned yelling", I was basically forced to return the book and get Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I was p**sed that I had to return the book, (but didn't show it) because my mom said that she would let me buy whatever book I'd like, and she also said she'd support it too, even though she may not accept of the idea. But, during the lecturing she said that people that believe in OBE's and AP's are losers and outcasts in life and basically have no life, they're just creepy people.
Now I don't really know what to do, respect my parents' opinions and completely forget everything about OBEs or continue learning and practicing them in secrecy. Which one?

P.S. sorry for my ranting, please forgive me but I got sort of p**sed today after all this lecturing.

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think if your old enough to be curious about OBE's then you should have the right to read whatever book you choose on the subject. As for your mom telling you you could choose any book you liked as well as supporting your opinions and ideas, and then changing her mind on the matter was only showing you that she doesn't trust nor respect your decisions. If my 14 yr old wanted to read about these things i'd encourage him. You may want to sit down and let her know that you have the right to choose what it is you wish to gain knowlege in. Their opinions shouldn't be forced upon you in regards to what's normal and what isn't.

[Edited on 10-4-2004 by Sapphire]

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Keep _EVERYTHING_ secret

Easiest thing to do, imho.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I've been in a similar situation as you, my friend. Parents are tricky people who often don't set their priorities straight.

Whatever you do, don't downgrade your interests into "phases". Studying the paranormal is not something that you should feel you should grow out of.

To be blunt, your parents are wrong and if they continue trying to tell you that you are wrong, stand up for yourself. You are an individual and it is not up to other people to define what you are.

Do NOT make an effort to practice in secret. You can respect your parent's opinions and live how you want to live at the same time. I will say it again: it's YOUR life!

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
But, during the lecturing she said that people that believe in OBE's and AP's are losers and outcasts in life and basically have no life, they're just creepy people.

So thats why I'm a loser!

I wouldn't advise forgeteing everything about it. Its quite interesting that they say that science is the only way to prove something.

Knowlege is a wonderful thing, and one can never have enough. Go for it.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shidge.
Keep _EVERYTHING_ secret

AMEN.

Some people are ignorant, others are just too thick to understand.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Read, read, read, everything you can lay your hands on, kiddo.

Angels and Demons is a fantastic read. I couldn't put it down and was convinced after reading it to purchase every book Dan Brown has written. None have disappointed me.

So go to the local library and check out a dozen books, six on the paranormal stuff you want to read about and six on other topics to keep your parental units happy.
Keep and open mind and they might also keep an open mind.

Also, sometimes as one is maturing into an adult person, you have to start telling parents what you will do, instead of seeking their permission to do specific things. It's all in management. I don't know how old you are, but its never to soon to start marking your own trends in life. Who knows? Maybe you'll wind up being the scientist who proves OBE exists.

lol radstar

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
Do NOT make an effort to practice in secret. You can respect your parent's opinions and live how you want to live at the same time. I will say it again: it's YOUR life!

It may be his/her life.. but as long as he/she lives in their parents house, the parents have the final say in most things.

Much easier to just let what they dont know not hurt them (or you) than try to explain and defend all your choices to them... When you goto college/move out, THEN its 100% your life.

Best of luck to ya!

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Are your parents very religious?

I wouldn't worry too much about, it's still early on.
'
If, ten years from now you're still studying the paranormal I'm pretty sure your parents will have given up by then.

Mine did.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Much easier to just let what they dont know not hurt them (or you) than try to explain and defend all your choices to them... When you goto college/move out, THEN its 100% your life.

Best of luck to ya!

See that's where you are wrong. It is always 100% your life. People just get caught up in pleasing others and doing what others want them to do. If your parents won't accept your choices if they are not bad ones, then it is their problem, not your own.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Up until a certain age you _NEED_ your parents..
It isnt like "oh, well ok that'd be nice to have, I guess"

You either please them, or you can live on the street.

Parents are a dangerous thing if they are pissed.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Up until a certain age you _NEED_ your parents..
It isnt like "oh, well ok that'd be nice to have, I guess"

You either please them, or you can live on the street.

Parents are a dangerous thing if they are pissed.

Looks like somebody has some issues.

If your parents are willing to throw you out into the streets, I think you should be in the arena of calling child protective services.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Sadly, parents are just people.. and if what you believe/study/do is offensive enough to them.. they arent above kicking you out.

Nice to pretend that all parents are loving and caring no matter what, but its not really realistic.

Maybe you were blessed with parents who were completely supportive of what you choose to do, but not all of us (in my experiences, most of us dont) get parents like that

But were getting away from the topic, so I digress

[Edited on 10-4-2004 by shidge.]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Don't hide it or stop, in this day we have unlimited resourses, just cause you don't have the book on it dosent me you can't use the net or talk to someone about it or anything..... My dad was the same way with me, so my best advice to you is don't keep it secret, force your parents to accept it, show them your not a loser by achieving in other things at the same time, while achiving in things like OBE and other things, they cant stop you, you can do it anytime or anywere, you have the power....

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Quote from iceofspades

It is always 100% your life.

Couldn't agree with you more......

BTW Yu Yu Hakusho rocks

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
just don't let your parents catch on- mine think i'm nuts, with all my conspiracy theories and what not. but they have yet to figure out i'm right.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Man, my parents wouldnt even know what an OBE is. Consider yourself blessed that you have parents who are aware! My parents could give a damn what I read about. They concerned about you, congratulations.

"Ignorance is bliss" is my family's motto.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by insite]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I would just stop talking to them about it. Read your books about it at school/work/anywhere but home (better yet � on the internet) and just drop the issue with your parents. If they confront you about it, they have a right to know the truth, but if don�t show any signs of interest they may think that you have just moved on.

As for actually projecting, it should be pretty easy to disguise as �sleep.� Just tell your parents that you are tired, and lying down. It�s not like you are smoking crack robbing the local 7-11.

I hope this helps. My parents were always pretty open to paranormal issues, but they think I�m crazy most of the time.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Maybe you could remind your mother about what she said about letting you but any book and supporting you and that by breaking her word to you isnt helping you to trust her and her opinions in matters such as obe

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
my parents wouldnt care

but if your not the only one using that computer, i sugest covering your tracks (delet records of visited websites)

theres browsers that do that, avant and myie2 they are internet explorer driven but with many features including automatic history anf internet file deleter (everytime you close out the browser it delets them)
____

Im 16and half, My computer is MY computer (yes im a geek) my parents never ask to go onto my computer and have no right to go into my computer. I keep it passworded and i have a key i can lockit with... Iv been in the internet freely since 12 and know about ALL dangers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join