It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan president cites cooperation with Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Afghan president cites cooperation with Russia

www.msnbc.msn.com

updated 2 hours, 58 minutes ago

KABUL, Afghanistan - Russia is ready to cooperate on defense matters with Afghanistan, the Afghan president said Monday. The announcement coincides with increasingly public tensions between Afghan and Western officials, as well as Russia's heightened efforts to assert itself on the international stage.

In a letter, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said cooperation on defense issues would "be effective for both countries and also effective for maintaining security in the region," Afghan President Hamid Karzai's office said in a statement.

"As a friendly government to Afghanistan, Russia is ready to offer its cooperation to an independent and a democratic Afghanistan," the statement quoted Medvedev as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Submit General News

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well, well...here we go again. Russia at odds with US interests.

Russia siding with the Afghanistan's.

Boy it really doesn't take much thought to see were this could go. I see new defense spending going through the roof and well as extended deployments and more troops.

I wonder if this is payback for the US helping the Afghans when the Russians tried to take their country??
I would seems so to me.

With the US being so vulnerable right now, everyone wants a piece of us, more than normal I guess.

This will be a thing..you can bet on it.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
this is definitely nottt goooodd

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't see how this is causing a beef with us.

They are supporting the Afghan gov which we helped install. I think the worse of it is that Russia is looking at their best interest and realize that the islamo fascist extremist are a security threat to their country also.

It also allows them to see what is going on - on the ground and see what kind of stuff we are planing. Nothing sinister just the old adage of keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolf241e
I wonder if this is payback for the US helping the Afghans when the Russians tried to take their country??
I would seems so to me.

How is this payback? If Russia is helping to rebuild an US ally country they tried to take over, it's considered as a blow to us?

It's the Taliban who wants to get revenge on the US because the US trained them and funded them to fight the Russians, and when the war was over, the US goverment ignored the Taliban and treated them like they didn't' exist, leading the Taliban to get revenge for being used like a tool.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I'd have to disagree with you that the Russians interest is not a threat to US operations over there.
Pretty soon, if not already, they will offer weapons assistance and "military advisers.

This will escalate to be sure.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Russia already went in once to fight the Taliban and lost because of us sticking out noses in it.

In this case this is one of these An enemy of my enemy is my friend in this case Russia and the US have the same intentions which is to get rid of the Taliban.

This isn't going to escalate into a war with Russia if anything Russia just wants to exert their influence and opinion into Afghan politics to keep them from joining the UN.

Even in the article it states that Russia is letting us use part of their country to deliver supplies and the likes.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
They are supporting the Afghan gov which we helped install. I think the worse of it is that Russia is looking at their best interest and realize that the islamo fascist extremist are a security threat to their country also.

Which is the very reason they invaded the first time round, only to met with US backed "Islamo-fascists"...

How the worm has turned, hey?

top topics

join