It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buggin in in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I always hated living in my town growing up, but looks like a good idea now! I keep reading about all these guys talking about bugging out to the country WTSHTF, I live in a modern city of 100,000 but am surrounded by both fields and mesquite trees, 2 good lakes, would def boil water before drinking out of either, and you really must be coming here to get here, no interstate! We have a large retirement population and even a busy air force base, but we are in the middle of no where. I can see supplies being hard to get after an "event" but, do not have the mob problems that a BIG city will have, so I think I'll just lock the door and eat my can of beany wheenys, don't get me wrong I think bad times are coming, but I truely think runnig around in the woods is something I'll let others do untill I have too! I was a scout for 6 years and grew up on a ranch in west Texas so I can do it if I have to, just know my bed is more comfortable than my sleeping bag.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

I lived in the Odessa/Midland area for about 20 years and there are plenty of wide open spaces out there to get away from the large city chaos.

Gets plenty hot during the summer out there in that desert. I dont miss that part of it!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yep, Odessa/Mildland is about 2 hours away and a nice place too visit, but its a scorcher in June/July, I'm a little southeast of there, but yes there is lots of country out here to hide if you need to. I just dont see a total collapse coming, Mad Max style, I think having stores of food is a good idea for problems, and a gun or two for hunting and protection, but total lawlessness, I think, is wishful thinking on some guys parts.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I think I know where you live at. My advice is to find a bug-in area east-south east about 70-80 miles outside a town with between 5-15K population and that has a decent clinic or hospital in it. Land is still pretty cheap west of US 281.

The area has decent amount of a rain which produces numerous streams and springs. Your area has marginal rainfall and a drought could severely deplete your area's ability to produce food.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I know where you are too, used to watch the pilots train out there. Now if you like eating rodents and coyotes, if might do but I like my part of east Texas, the dear are like rabbits and the woods are full of TREES. Plenty of rabbits and possum here too. For myself, I'll watch it on TV as long as I can.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Yes, def more rain east of here, we do have lots of good wells south and east of us, and not a lot of peeps, so that is good. Really thought that with what seems to be coming that land and homes out here would start going up and we would get lots of yanks soon, but nothing so far.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lottovegas
I live in a modern city of 100,000 but am surrounded by both fields and mesquite trees, 2 good lakes, would def boil water before drinking out of either, and you really must be coming here to get here, no interstate! We have a large retirement population and even a busy air force base, but we are in the middle of no where. I can see supplies being hard to get after an "event" but, do not have the mob problems that a BIG city will have, so I think I'll just lock the door and eat my can of beany wheenys, don't get me wrong I think bad times are coming, but I truely think runnig around in the woods is something I'll let others do untill I have too! I was a scout for 6 years and grew up on a ranch in west Texas so I can do it if I have to, just know my bed is more comfortable than my sleeping bag.
It sounds like a good geographical area for resources, but I think you're forgetting that the other 999,999 people in your area will also be competing for the same resources you described. Also, not all of them will be industrious enough or knowledgeable enough to forage for themselves. They'll get desperate within a week or two, and go out looting and robbing to survive. Bugging in my not be a viable option for you at that time. Unfortunately the woods will be full of nutters too scaring off all the game and crapping all over the place like feral dogs..

new topics

top topics

join