It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genes remember sugar hit: Australian research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Genes remember sugar hit: Australian research

SYDNEY (AFP) — Human genes remember a sugar hit for two weeks, with prolonged poor eating habits capable of permanently altering DNA, Australian research has found. A team studying the impact of diet on human heart tissue and mice found that cells showed the effects of a one-off sugar hit for a fortnight, by switching off genetic controls designed to protect the body against diabetes and heart disease. "We now know that chocolate bar you had this morning can have very acute effects, and those effects can continue for up to two weeks," said lead researcher Sam El-Osta, from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute. "These changes continue beyond the meal itself and have the ability to alter natural metabolic responses to diet," he told Australian Associated Press Friday. Regular poor eating would amplify the effect, said El-Osta, with genetic damage lasting months or years, and potentially passing through bloodlines. The study's findings were reported in the Journal of Experimental Medicine.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Very good thread. This is a wake up call to make a healthy diet a very high priority. Diet contributes to our health, energy, also IQ's. Throughout the 20th century, IQs raised 10 points every decade due to improved living conditions, in which diet was crucial. Its extremely interesting that our food interacts with our dna, in real time so to speak.
Personally I'm interested in trying to add recipes from a raw cuisine diet into my life, but its the kids that resist the most. However, not going to give up.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I saw this on Yahoo! yesterday and suprised nobody jumped on it. It seems that when we get a common cold, our DNA is altered. Now we find that SUGAR alters our genes as well!

If you remember way back when, there were some ex-military people (i.e. William Cooper - Author: Behold a Pale Horse) that were warning about poisoned food, processed food, GM food, even specifically processed Sugar.

And now we know why!

I'm really interested in how DIFFERENT sugars affect our DNA... I suspect natural occurring sugars, such as Pectin don't have this effect, or have a less harmful effect, while processed sugars from Cane and namely sugar beets (totally unnatural sugar, imho... it tastes just like the beets smell... they stink) should have the most damaging and longest lasting effects.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
What is terrifying is the GM foods, and the amount of control this could give elitists over the destiny of citizens. We really need to keep informed and spend a great deal of time rethinking our nutruition and diet. Also, growing as much as possible. Even container gardens with heritage seeds can provide constant nutrition.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

KIDS THAT REFUSE TO EAT HEALTHY?!? What is this world coming to?!?
can't imagine that!

I have an idea... start telling them, every time they see a 'radioactive mutant' on TV or in a book that "Radiation doesn't turn you into a mutant... it just kills you. Sugar and GM foods are what make people that way!" (it's not really lying, just exaggerating the truth a bit, hehe!) Honestly, though... processed foods are a complete boon to the human survival and expansion. It is killing us.

Edit...

Forgot... I've been trying to steer clear of sugars for about 10 years or so, since I read a couple articles by William Cooper. It's funny how I will crave sugar for a couple days after a soda or candy bar. I drink maybe 1 soda a month... now I'm not sure if I even want to put syrup on my pancakes... scary stuff!

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Earthscum]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The more natural and whole, the better. The kids are going to gradually see their addictions reduced to nothing over the next year. I do have a bit of a mix, and its one in particular that is very addicted to processed food. But we offer him lots of fruit, which he loves, and yogurt, so this is a bonus.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here is a link to a variety of healthier sweetners. I wonder what the advantages to dna each one may have. I know they don't large amounts of studies on every food item, but if someone has more information on some of the alternatives it would be very helpful:

www.truhealth.com...

new topics

top topics

join