It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Militants fire rockets into Israel after cease-fire

www.cnn.com

Militants fired six rockets into southern Israel and exchanged gunfire with troops in northern Gaza Sunday, hours after Israel declared a unilateral cease-fire in the Palestinian territory, an Israeli spokesman said.

The Qassam rockets were fired into Sderot at 9 a.m. -- seven hours after Israel's cease-fire went into effect. The rockets did not injure anyone, and Israeli aircrafts destroyed the rocket launcher soon afterward, an Israeli military spokesman said.

The gunfire exchange in northern Gaza occurred after Palestinian gunmen opened fire on Israeli forces, the Israeli military said. Troops returned fire.

Israel launched an offensive in Gaza just over three weeks ago, with the stated intent of stopping the barrage of rockets -- primarily the short-range homemade Qassam rocket -- fired from the territory into southern Israel by Hamas fighters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
There is no way after the aggression that has GAZA received will HAMAS back down.

I would hate to speculate but I think this is THE END GAME for this war.

The Palestinians will take this one to the very end , the Israeli's have fought dirty with their use of phosphorous bombs and slaughter of innocent women and children.

Lets hope it ends soon.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Ahhh no worries MOD
but who else do you think would be firing rockets at Israel after the cease fire?

The Solomon Islands? No attempt to sensationalize there big fella.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by jpvskyfreak]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Militants or Mosad agents pretending or agitating Moslems for Israeli sympathy?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Gotta love topics like this, the use of the term "cease fire" is suppose to invoke some kind of arbitrary "Baleese" while one side awaits another shipment of weapons from the USA to restock and re-evaluate "Left over" targets and the other to parade around its victims in some kind of hypocritical show of defiance toward Israel.

Nuke the entire region and purge humanity of this blight on its existence forever and for goodness sakes USA send some of the funding you normally reserve for Israel to some needy white children living in a park somewhere from a fractured family displaced by the Sub Prime lending debacle your banks decided to gamble on for profits for the CEO's eating caviar and drinking Moet.

....narrrr elect another "same old same" president and let the pathetic charade continue.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I went to a Gaza Rally today in Melbourne, Australia. Today however, everything i believed in and stood for, changed.

My grandfather lost his home in 1948, they migrated to Lebanon where my father was born. He later migrated to Australia where i was born. I always hated what the Jews who occupied Palestine and what they did to my family. I hated them for taking away my culture and country and for erasing my family history.

Today I realised that I can never have that back. On the same token however, I cannot justify doing the same back to them. I realised that wishing upon them what they had done to my people would make me just like them. They have done to Palestinians what Nazi's did to them, now to do to them, what they did to us, would make us no better.

If two wrongs don't make a right, what does?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Use Occam's Razor.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Not every attack can be explained away by deflection.

This is another blatant example of why Hamas is worse for the Palestinian people than Israel itself. If a lion attacks you, then begins to walk away, you don't go back and start fighting with the lion.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

This is another blatant example of why Hamas is worse for the Palestinian people than Israel itself. If a lion attacks you, then begins to walk away, you don't go back and start fighting with the lion.

using your analogy
What generally happens if you are attacked by a lion and then it walks away, the family and friends as well as neighbours go after the lion to kill it to make sure that it can never attack again.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

That assumes that the family and neighbours are capable of attacking and killing the lion.

The metaphor for the situation on the ground is that the Palestinians are, for all intents and purposes, unarmed.

Now tell me who apart from a man with a fatally large ego would go and attack a lion (who is retreating) while unarmed?

Anyway news just in : Israel pounded Hamas one last time in retaliation. Now Hamas are declaring a unilateral ceasefire on their side. Israel has yet to respond.

So the analogy is that the unarmed man has attacked the retreating lion, got wounded and only now sees sense.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I dont understand how you can declare a ceasefire when youve got men, munitions and material deep inside enemy territory.

Are Israeli soliders just going to stand around not shooting at the enemy?

Its like the US putting soliders in Shiraz, and declare a truce with Iran.

It just doesnt work, the other people are going to shoot at you plain and simple.

Is anyone surprised Hamas is firing rockets? they declared they wouldnt agree to any ceasefire if israel was in Gaza.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I think the problem is that Hamas are firing rockets at Israeli civilians instead of firing at the "occupation" army.

Supporting Hamas' acts would be somewhat similar to supporting the Moqtada al Sadr's Mahdi army firing rockets at New York in response to the US army occupation.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Hamas should keep fighting until the israelis are outa gaza.

Than Hamas should agree on a ceasefire and stock up again.Maybe they can get some engineers and physicians from Iran to upgrade their rockets so 98% of it don't go to waste.

Israel can't protect its people from rockets so hamas should really take advantage of it.

1300 palestinians dead : 13 israelis

Hamas should really concentrate firing on israeli primary schools and nurseries.Its time israeli parents cry tears of blood as the palestinian mothers did.

I remember in an interview jewish women were laughing at how the palestinian mothers cry and scream when their children die.I wonder how these women would react if a hamas rocket strikes their kids, maybe it won't be as funny.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Fire an AK at a tank and you die, firing a rocket over a wall at civillian targets is possibly going to get those on the receiving end of the rockets to tell the goverment to get out of there so they stop getting hit.

I do not agree with it, I think war of all types is just wrong, But having a 9 meter wall around you is wrong too.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Thats fair enough, and a good point.
I dont support Hamas in their efforts to fire rockets at Israeli cities,

The point I was making, is that declaring a truce while your soliders occupy enemy lands, and your jets/tanks still rumble over their territory is a mute point.

The enemy is going to shoot at you pure and simple, in hindsight you'll look like the victim, but logically thinking your merely provoking the enemy even more.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I dont understand how you can declare a ceasefire when youve got men, munitions and material deep inside enemy territory.

Are Israeli soliders just going to stand around not shooting at the enemy?

Its like the US putting soliders in Shiraz, and declare a truce with Iran.

It just doesnt work, the other people are going to shoot at you plain and simple.

Is anyone surprised Hamas is firing rockets? they declared they wouldnt agree to any ceasefire if israel was in Gaza.

Because it's a ceasefire (as in cease....stop...fire...shooting), not a withdrawal

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yes, but what does Israel expect here?
They fought tooth and nail against every Israeli soldier,they still fire rockets into Israel.

Do you think just because Israel has said '' ok, we'll stop attacking you '' that Hamas are going to do the same?

This isnt a war, this isnt two nations fighting over something.

This is a people fighting for their freedom, and any second they back down they lose. If Israel actually expects Hamas to obey this ceasefire then they deserve to lose.

When you believe in a revolution,you either succeed, or die!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hamas is not going to stop attacking until the nation of Israel is driven out of the middle east.

In other words, they're completely suicidal.

top topics

join