It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more Google Video?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Google Prunes Unpopular Services From Its Portfolio

In other changes, Google within a few months will stop letting users upload to Google Video, a free service launched in 2006. Later that year, Google bought YouTube, which has become the company's dominant video property. Clips will not be removed from Video and the service will be more focused on search.

"We've always maintained that Google Video's strength is in the search technology that makes it possible for people to search videos from across the Web, regardless of where they may be hosted," wrote Michael Cohen, a Google product manager.

Google Prunes Unpopular Services From Its Portfolio

Not sure if this was the right forum and don't think this was mentioned yet but, this is terrible!

All of the documentaries I've watched have been on google video. It has always worked best for me and doesn't have the same restrictions as say YouTube does. I despise YouTube and would always prefer watching something on google video than any other host. I'd axe youtube over google video any day.

Now we can't upload stuff to google, what's left for long videos? Is there at least any similar alternative?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

I alaways liked the high quality and longer videos on google video myself, hopefully I can upload there before they take it down.

I despise youtube too, basically the illuminati if they exist, they own google, and youtube now, the main reason I dislike youtube is their slogan 'broadcast yourself' is false, if they correctly called their sloagn 'we can broadcast you' then I would be less annoyed, there is politics with youtube for those that don't know, youtube is broken up into classes just like the illuminati would have people broken up worldwide... it's a conspiracy yet at the same time nobody seems to care, but this is a general breakdown of the youtube pyramid structure concerning members.

Youtube Celebrities (picked and chosen by youtube not by the people)

These Youtube celebs videos & names are placed in the search forcing more views, they are placed on the front page more often obviously, but they are also given special bandwidth, okay these things don't seem like much, but the youtube celebs are given speacial illegal authority over certain youtube contests, which are supposed to be open, the winners or at least finalists are often chosen by youtube celebs, for example a contest I can think of would be Sketchies, and Sketchies II, the funniest videos never win, they usually don't even make it to finals, because of the politics on youtube.

Youtube partners (picked and chosen by youtube)

Preferably you need enough hits, but I've seen low hit youtube partners, they are not celebs but they can have a banner and generate money per clicks or hits, these are groomed to be chosen later to become youtube celebs or not.

Everyone else! I'm sure there are other catagories, but basically if you aren't picked and chosen by the youtube nazi elite, and I use that word to describe their attitude in allowing people to 'broadcast yourself', it's all rigged, just an example of youtube being corrupt, I once uploaded a video and it made it to the 'most discussed' list, ALL videos that make it to that list are on it for 3 days, then remaining comments are considered to start from 1, and my video was on the most discussed page and was propmtly taken off within a few hours, I've never seen this happen before except with profane videos and mine had nothing profane in it.

Youtube is rigged, you can't broadcast yourself, you can basically only broadcast to your relatives and consider it a private email video unless you are chosen and few are chosen.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Razimus]

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Razimus]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

It is very difficult/impossible to get heard on youtube yeah. Yknow I've had a lot of friends who've had videos removed for false DMCA claims and the like. My own videos, well they may as well not be there, and I guess that's fine since I try to use it as little as possible anyway, and I do consider it a semi-private videos for friends upload anyway.

I wonder why YouTube is even as popular as it is, it's not exactly very good even for the "legitimate" purposes of "broadcasting yourself". One friend often had to cut his videos up, end them abruptly in the middle of speaking because the "time limits coming up, more on part 2!" (he actually had all his videos on another account removed once for false DMCA violations). Maybe speaking your mind is bad, that's all he did. I guess someone disagreed with him.

Not to mention the intelligence level of the users there.. I don't even need to say more. So it can't be popular for the community aspect.

The comments on google video had less junk on them too. Mind you, most people probably don't know there is a way to comment so that's probably why.

I know Google is bad, but they did provide the fastest ad-free limitless uploading (that I know of). Sad to see it given up, especially in favour of YouTube.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
NOooOoOoooo!!!

Google video is my all time favorite all others BOW before google video (lol)

Seriously, it loads the best, and is just the most stable player / host whatever that there is..

Bad move by google .. bad..

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Maybe when ATS implements its video hosting feature, this will be the alternative for Google video users.

This was announced a few days ago.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here is the link to the thread I just mentioned about for videos.

ATS Media Sharing

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
"... this will be the alternative for Google video users.

Of coursly. And it'll start with the John Lear video collection.

Thanks for the link.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by CoolBlackHole]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I made a thread a while back about how it's getting less and less convenient to use google or youtube.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The "most recently added" feature is gone, and there's no "sort by ratings" now either, to name a few things.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I noticed those changes too, it definitely made navigating more complex and difficult. They also removed "videos hosted by Google" and added playable on Google. You get almost the same results now as you do searching for "all".

Big problem for me using other hosts is that since I'm not in the USA a lot of these alternatives don't play for me, it states it doesn't support my country.

This worries me a lot now. Now instead of the internet being free and open information, we're being segregated. If an American uploads some documentary he whipped together, I won't be able to view it and see his concerns about his country or the world. I spose that's what ATS is for now though.

It seems the same on Youtube as well. They automatically set my country now, the reason they state for doing so is to receive preferred viewing content for my country (or something to that extent). I want to watch what I want to watch, not what is judged suitable for my country.

It's becoming less and less open.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Sara1]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
thank god--it's just new videos

i like watching full length docs and stuff on google

i hate the 10 minute youtube clips---pain in the ----

i had a sinking feeling when i saw your headline

i have like 30 videos bookmarked i haven't gotten around to

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

I hate the fact that you can only upload 10 minutes worth of video onto YOUTUBE. I have found other video sites, where I can upload longer videos relating to my paranormal website that I have produced. The recent one was 45 minutes long and was related to my regression in 1993/4. I loaded it on VIDDLER and LIVEVIDEO is another good video server just to name a couple that let you upload long videos. I hardly use GOOGLE VIDEO any more, as it isn't that good now. Besides VEOH has links to videos on GOOGLE.

Some of these video sites are new and there isn't many videos on there relating to what we discuss on this forum,as people are not too familiar with them.

However DISCLOSE.TV is a good place for videos relating to topics discussed on this forum. I uploaded my regression video on there without any problem.

I have a Director Account on YOUTUBE and I produce my own videos around the evidence that I have collected and put onto video for public scrutiny. I would have thought a Director Account/Producer Account would have gave me more leeway in the size and video that I submitted.

Since GOOGLE bought up YOUTUBE-it isn't nowhere near as good, as it was when those other chaps owned it.

***I just checked out GOOGLE VIDEO and you can upload on the primary page or home page of the GOOGLE VIDEO website. They have just changed the format around a bit. ***

[edit on 18/1/09 by rachel07]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

Aww.. sorry to have given you that feeling. I think the title is still appropriate though, since it does spell the end of google video. Once they stop accepting uploads, no new events will be found on there, people will have seen all there is for them to see on google vid and move on.
(I too have like 30 vids bookmarked for watching heheh)

@rachel07: Yup they've stated that within a few months no more uploads will be accepted. So it's still possible to, so anyone that wants to upload there better upload while they still can!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

Thanks for the link.

i take it that was sarcastic????

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn

Originally posted by CoolBlackHole

Thanks for the link.

i take it that was sarcastic????

sadly, it probably was.

YouTube is a joke. I go there to watch stuff linked from this forum, and to see music videos (we play Money Honey by State Of Shock every night before the wife goes to work...she likes the song, and i like the irony).

top topics

join