It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qassamcount

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
So I just saw this as a status on a friends facebook
apps.facebook.com...

It looks like this "QassamCount: 20 Hamas rockets hit 5 Israeli cities on Saturday. Donate your status: qassamcount.com..." if you use it as your status.

I sympathize with my friends, a lot of them are Jewish, and have family in Israel, so they are also being directly affected by this turmoil, but my subsequent response to this was to ask if there was a "Civiliancount" I could sign up for. It might seem like a stupid application on facebook, but for some reason it just rubbed me the wrong way.

As has been stated many times here on ATS, I believe both sides should be held accountable for the deaths they have caused.

That's besides the point, in posting this I would not only like members opinions on this application, but if anyone has any information on any non-biased applications that would be around the web, I'd greatly appreciate that too.

-JR

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think that your response was appropriate and, more importantly, made a very clear statement. Kudos for not becoming hostile or vitriolic, as this subject seems to draw that out of everyone.

I'm aware of many Facebook applications pertaining to the Gaza conflict, but I don't recall any that could be considered unbiased. As for my thoughts regarding the application in question, I find it to be a bit silly to present a rocket count at a time when Gazans would be thrilled to be under that type of assault. It seems to fly in the face of the citizens being bombarded by Israeli cluster bombs. But really, that's just my personal opinion. I'm not particularly bothered by the fact that someone wants to use the application or finds it to be appropriate or meaningful.

I wouldn't add anything to my profile relating to Gaza, as the subject seems to only lead to tension. I've recently witnessed a few relationships dissolve over this, particularly among my Israeli friends. It's too much to risk for a meager statement on a social networking site.

This subject is just so god damn contentious.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the response planes, I agree that this subject seems to bring out the worst in some. I want to stay as objective as possible with this, like I said it just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I can understand the need to voice one's opinions on the subject, especially when they happen to be Jewish! Personally, I don't mind letting someone know what's on my mind but like you said it's a subject not worth losing friendships over.

-JR

join