It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developments in Gaza fighting on January 15

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Developments in Gaza fighting on January 15

uk.reuters.com

GAZA - Israeli air strikes targeting two motorcycles kill a 14-year-old Palestinian boy, medical workers said.

GAZA - Israeli air strike kills two gunmen in the southern Gaza Strip, medical workers said.

GAZA - Israeli navy shelling killed two medical workers in the northern Gaza Strip, medical workers said.

GAZA - The Popular Resistance Committees militant group said two of its fighters were killed in clashes with Israeli troops east of the city of Gaza.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I was trying to give a balanced view of the fighting that has occurred, just over the course of one day.

The toll that the source has given us basically reports.
Civilians killed today: 14
Militants killed today:8

That is just in one day...that isn't even over yet.

Quoting this as well "GAZA - The Palestinian death toll in the offensive since December 27 topped 1,018, the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza said. The health minister of the Hamas-run government says more than 400 of the dead are women and children."

I am not taking sides here, but this is getting out of hand. Something needs to be done to get this situation under control. News of Israel pushing deeper into Gaza City than ever before is coming in. The death toll keeps rising.

Over 20 people died because of fighting today alone, and today isn't even over yet. Sad state of affairs when that becomes the norm.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
People want to talk about how Israeli is doing the right thing against those terrorist low lives, or how Palestine is fighting the good fight against those Zionist invaders, BUT when I post a thread about the deaths of specific people nobody cares.

Don't worry guys, its not your friends and family, so I guess its just a number, right?

For so many people supporting the war, on both sides, I would think they would want to see the deaths said war is responsible for today, but to no surprise, they aren't concerned with the people that died, just if their side is winning.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
For so many people supporting the war, on both sides, I would think they would want to see the deaths said war is responsible for today, but to no surprise, they aren't concerned with the people that died, just if their side is winning.

Sad, isn't it? The thing is that if you start seeing these ones getting killed as people and not a number it would challenge your preconceived notions. Can't have that, gotta win no matter what. And this being a digital media makes it all the more pathetic.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My concern is with the people of Gaza and the people of Israel who are paying the price of misguided war. This is really one sided in many respects. It is hard for me NOT to lean my sympathy toward the people of Gaza.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Well out of the 22 people that died between the start of the 15th and when I posted the article, 14 of whom were innocents, I didn't see any Israeli's on the list.

So I guess you could say war is a horrible thing where many get killed, this war is a horrible thing where mostly one side get killed.

Forget for a minute the 22 dead, the 8 militants, and lets just think of this one.

"Five people, all from the same family, killed in an Israeli air strike, according to Palestinian medics."

Think about a neighbor, or maybe a friend of yours. He owns a local shop that you frequent. He has a wife and two kids, takes care of his aging father. This war breaks out and some militant fires a couple rockets from a house or two down from your friends home. He has no part in the war, and he had no hand in the resistance.

Israel gun ship comes in, or a "laser guided missile" is fired into that and they level both the house the terrorists were in, and I say were because they fire rockets then run, and your friends house.

That is the kind of family that is killed when they say "5 people, all from the same family, were killed in an air strike."

Time and time again, it has been proven that bombs are indiscriminate.

Maybe this one will ring a bell:
www.time.com...

United Nations investigators say they have uncovered no evidence to support a claim by the Israeli military that Hamas fighters were holed up in a Gaza school, prompting a deadly attack by Israeli forces that killed 40 civilians, many of them children.

40 children.....40. Think about your child. Think about the elementary school he or she goes to. Now think about your child, and all the children in their class....being killed by a bomb. Did the terrorists die? According to the Israeli's yes, everyone else? no.

If 40 children were killed by a bomb in the US, it would be called a tragedy. Over there, its another day at war.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
And that is precisely why it is so hard for me to back what the Israelis are doing. War is hell on any side of the conflict. But this response to poorly made rocket fire is just out of control. I do think about those children, I have none, but if I did the forefront of my thoughts would still be the same. This is indiscriminate bombing and shelling. And no one is lifting a finger to help them, and when the UN tries, they get shot at, bombed and shelled out of the area. I can't have sympathy for the Israelis. I understand that having rockets fire into your country is NOT acceptable by any stretch of the imagination, but this response is also not acceptable. This is wholesale murder and it has to stop.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

It's very easy to fall into the trap of saying that Israeli's are the problem. Their gov't? For sure. A terrorist organization imo. There's good in Israel as well. I've posted this in a few threads because we have to get past this one side is right the other is wrong bickering:

MachsomWatch, in existence since 2001, is an organisation of peace activist Israeli women against the Israeli Occupation of the territories and the systematic repression of the Palestinian nation. We call for Palestinian freedom of movement within their own territory and for an end to the Occupation that destroys Palestinian society and inflicts grievous harm on Israeli society.

Machsom Watch

I read about this in a Canadian magazine so I don't think it's propaganda. Just women that want this madness to end. It's easy enough to blame both sides. There is good on both sides as well. THAT is where hope springs from.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I agree entirely Intrepid. I do not blame anyone other than governments. I always believe that there is peace between people and war between governments. It is they that drag the rest of us to a war we never even thought of having.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Well I thank the two of you for at least acknowledging the deaths of these people as a result of this war, even if others don't. I thought maybe a small number dead, that they can relate to would make them aware that these are people, and some of them have NOTHING to do with the fighting.

But I am sure most those calling for war, from both sides, didn't even bother to read it. They were too busy chanting for the death of their enemy.

top topics

join