It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Care So Much About Gaza?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here is my question, and I hope it will get some answers:
Why do so many of us care about Gaza? I know all of this "Uncalled for death is horrible!" news, but hear me out-

Darfur doesn't have anywhere near as many posts on here as Gaza does.
Neither did the short conflict in Georgia.
Neither does, recently, the war in Iraq and maybe how Obama would deal with that.

What is with the huge amount of posts about Gaza? Why are so many of us staying up all night fixated on this videostream, watching a war?

Why is this war different from other wars? I've heard people talk about how it's not fair the the Jews/Israelis get all the attention... but look at the amount of attention just the members here on ATS are giving this conflict.

Things just aren't matching up. What do you think?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Israel was born to be loved and hated.

2nd line

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Here is my question, and I hope it will get some answers:
Why do so many of us care about Gaza? I know all of this "Uncalled for death is horrible!" news, but hear me out-

Neither does, recently, the war in Iraq and maybe how Obama would deal with that.

What is with the huge amount of posts about Gaza? Why are so many of us staying up all night fixated on this videostream, watching a war?

Why is this war different from other wars? I've heard people talk about how it's not fair the the Jews/Israelis get all the attention... but look at the amount of attention just the members here on ATS are giving this conflict.

Things just aren't matching up. What do you think?

Very smart and well thought out post. Star and flag.

I will make the first stab at an answer...

There are no Jews to blame in Darfur and Gerorgia so the raging anti-semites on this board are uncaring to BLACK deaths and Georgian deaths when there are no Israeli tanks involved.

But thanks for bringing this topic to the front.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Darfur is difficult as there is little news on what's going on
Georgia had MANY posts and threads, but it was short-lived as the war was
Most people here agreed that Georgia was wrong and attacked first

haven't watched the videostream
i'm too shocked by the nonsense I read by pro-israel posters

what is different is that some are not willing to be on the side of muslims for some reason, they are just too pro-israel.

nobody defends the govt. in Kenya or Zimbabwe

but some are actually defending GENOCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is the difference

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

But what about all the ANTI-Isrealis on the boards making threads? Why are they so active?

Is the root of this problem really about religion or anti-semitics? I really hope someone can come up with another answer.

What are your motivations? Why are you following the conflict so closely? Why are you watching the livecam for hours and hours? What are you trying to prove, even if people have already argued your case?

I don't understand it. Darfur, come on, there could be more news about what's going on and you all know that as well as I do.

What about Iran? Why is the ratio of new Gaza posts to other posts about 2:1?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

That's not a reason, though. It may be true but it doesn't explain the fascination with the current events over there.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

But what about all the ANTI-Isrealis on the boards making threads? Why are they so active?

First you must be more precise!

Israel is anti-palestine not anti-hamas

secondly anti-israelis on ATS aren't anti-israeli, most are pro-people regardless of ethnic origin.

See pro-isralies are pro-israeli govt
while anti-israelis are just pro people

BIG difference.

Is the root of this problem really about religion or anti-semitics? I really hope someone can come up with another answer.

"It is not anti-semitic to criticize the policies of israel" - Colin Powell

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You're right, I mean Anti-Isreal people. Anti-Israels.

Regardless. Your post contains opinions. Regardless of opinion about who Israel is and is not and supports or hates, why are we fascinated?

I really don't know. I want more answers.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Let me give my thoughts.

Number 1, the other countries you have mentioned, do not have nukes or at least have them but have not threatened to use them.

While situations like Darfur are tragic and should absolutely be addressed by TPTB because they are, *cough,* Real genocides, they do not have the "powder keg" attribute that I/G has.

Plus, for I/G, millions of people have their religious views tied into that location and beleive that what happens there indicates end-times events. So for them, their whole worldview is literally tied into what happens in the ME. You know, the "I will bless those who bless the nation of Israel" crowd.

I think that Iraq is in some ways old news--as far as I can tell from the media reports, it is the same guerilla fighting on and on. Not much to say, as there is really not a lot new, and Obama isn't even in office so we can't speculate about how he will handle it.

But maybe most of all, this is the first time we have seen an attempt at ethnic cleansing unfolding live, on TV, with webcams, and it is dared to be called such... most of the time we hear of these things only years later.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
If you go to ask, then there is something missing in you. Israel do not have right to oppress the Palestinians and kill so many of them.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
So religion and fear of nukes, perhaps? Are we afraid for ourselves or are we really afraid for the "little guys"? We certainly seem to keep bringing up the religion part but are we that shallow?

If we were afraid of nukes, we would be supporting Israel more, then, wouldn't we? By the majority of us supporting Gaza, are we trying to defend the people who are suffering?

I still don't understand why we are following these stories, watching these livecams, and posting these threads to the huge extent that we are.

Why not Iran, then? Why not Russia? Why the volume and magnitude on this one topic?

Do you guys really -want- to be watching this stuff?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
secondly anti-israelis on ATS aren't anti-israeli, most are pro-people regardless of ethnic origin.

But I think that's exactly the point Ravenshadow13 was making: many of the anti-Israeli posters aren't being "pro-people." If they were, they'd show equal concern with horrible deaths in Georgia, Darfur, Israel itself, etc., etc. So why the unequal attention on Gaza?

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
See pro-isralies are pro-israeli govt
while anti-israelis are just pro people

Well, you're starting from an non-equitable ideology there. Sides in an argument all believe they have the moral standing. If we want to deny ignorance, we have to be open and avoid being locked into a closed heuristic. Otherwise, we're just dealing with propaganda on all sides.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Vault-D]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Yeah and in tons of African countries, groups don't have the right to be committing genocide either. Lots of things are horrible, but why pick this specific conflict to pour over, hour after hour?

There are conflicts all around the world that are just as unfair, but don't get half the attention.

I want to leave opinion or sides out of this as much as I can. It's not about them in this thread, it's about you.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I am not one of the ones that is watching the webcam. I think that is sick, darned close to watching a snuff film.

I am saying, I think a lot of people beleive that this has the possibility to turn into a WWIII.

We are not afraid of the little guys so much as the ones who would come to help them.

For instance, Gaza has aroused the sympathy of Iran, and Iran has many business dealings with Russia.

If Israel attacked Iran in result for helping Gaza, Russia might be drawn in, and I'm sure that the Us of A would not stand by while helpless Israel is attacked by Russia.

"We" on ATS may by and large be siding with Gaza, but "we" in the USA and especially in the USA government largely side with Israel.

Partly due to religion IMO, partyly also because protecting Israel gives us an excuse to poke around in an oil-rich part of the world.

So, the propaganda about Israel being a poor, picked-on country, regardless of what it might have done to invite the picking0on, comes out. Better for the industry that way.

And I agree with you 100% that other situations should be acted upon and given far more weight than this, I'm just giving my opinion why this commangs our attention.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

I will make the first stab at an answer...

There are no Jews to blame in Darfur and Gerorgia so the raging anti-semites on this board are uncaring to BLACK deaths and Georgian deaths when there are no Israeli tanks involved.

But thanks for bringing this topic to the front.

Wow.

If you can't tell the difference between antisemitism and opposition to a government body than I feel sorry for you. I have Jewish blood and I am strongly against the murderous Israeli state. I suppose that makes me an antisemite as well?

People are so involved in the conflict here on ATS because there is no other outlet for good discussion on the topic. The MSM bleeds ignorance and one-sidedness on a daily basis, and most of the American population sees the conflict as "the jews vs. the terrorists", when it is really "israeli bombs vs. gaza civilian population". I wish I could take pride in what my people are doing in the middle east, but I simply cannot tolerate or accept such blatant disregard for human rights.

You'd think we would've learned more from history.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Thanks, asmeone. That makes some sense. Does everybody else agree? What about you guys that are watching the webcam or making tons of threads? Do you agree, too?

What do you think? What's with the sudden influx?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

No outlet for good discussion? Well, maybe. It may explain part of it. But why the repetitive threads, what about the arguing? Why is everyone taking this so personally? How come people feel the need to attack the opinions of others on this conflict that has nothing directly to do with most of us? There has to be more.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think people are sick of war. And it so happens that Israel started the latest war. Combine that with the general anti-semetic feelings and growing agitation of Muslims in European countries.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Maybe, Founding.

I just thought of something else, regarding the webcams especially. I discovered it when I saw the post just made about Iran vs. Israel.

Do we want to see a nuke go off? Are we curious? Are we sick of people threatening and building them but never setting them off?

Could it be about that? Or is it about boredom? I don't know. Any more answers?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Simple Answers: 1) Israel is an aggressor in this region. The Palestinians are fighting the only way they can against a Nation that has it heavily out gunned and literally landlocked.
2) Because the MSM wants you to care about this, not Darfur.

Aside from that, I'm tired of this crap. I don't think I can possibly post another opinion on these threads after this one. (Of course I'll just change my mind next time I see a pointless thread like this one.
)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join