It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email I just received from the NYS DMV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
**BEAT THE JUNE 1, 2009 DEADLINE when federally imposed travel restrictions will REQUIRE A PASSPORT or a federally approved document, such as NEW YORK STATE’S ENHANCED DRIVER LICENSE, for crossing land and sea borders between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Apply for your NEW YORK STATE ENHANCED DRIVER LICENSE today -- It’s the smart way to travel! Visit www.nysdmv.com for details.**

Is this the new North American Union License that has been a semi-recent concern? I find it strange that I will need to apply for a new U.S license to travel outside of the U.S.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Perhaps if you are eager in applying for this new fangled license type thing-a-ma-bob, it will show them just how much of a sheep you are willing to be and how little of a threat you can be to the U.S.

You just have to decide if it will genuinely make your life easier.

Yes, I realize just how conspiracy-like my post sounds. I personally think having to get a new "enhanced license" is a bit ridiculous. It might as well have a microchip in it that tracks your every move.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well, if I am reading that correctly, it's just saying that if you want to go to countries that did not traditionally require a passport, you will now need A, B, or C. Personally, I'm sticking with my passport and not worrying about those new DLs.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yeah they've been advertising it pretty heavily.

The basic summary of it from NY's standpoint can be found here on the DMV's site.

The larger picture here is known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, which is described briefly here.

It's not for air travel at this point, so you'd still need your passport for that. I suppose for us New Yorkers it would probably be handy for a drive to Niagra Falls and Toronto etc.

The concern of course is that these new licenses DO have an RFID chip in them.

The government of NY state has responded to privacy concerns by stating that the RFID chip only contains a unique serial number and absolutely no other information. That serial number would then be input into a secure database which would hold the other information. In other words, the RFID itself does not have any personally identifiable information to be stolen.

I guess it will remain to be seen how many people will go for that...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

The concern of course is that these new licenses DO have an RFID chip in them.

Oh, i pretty much figured that they would have a chip in them. The new passport I got already has one in there.. so I'm already chipped out.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Why do you even need a enhanced passport? After all millions of mexicans can't be wrong!

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

There are a lot of fake drivers licenses floating around. If someone is willing to risk arrest to get into a bar underage or drive illegally, I can definitely see some numbnut trying to go overseas with one.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I started a thread on this a while back... more info here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well isn't that a kick in the sckoins.... These new forms of ID will be able to track you locally.. even if they had numbers only and no personal info, who's to say these numbers will not be used to follow anyone around?!?!?

Just need to get someone plate number or address...

The new Ontario Enhanced Driver’s License will not replace the current license. It will only be voluntary. However, anyone wishing to get one once they are available will be able to do so. The concerns the NDP have voiced over the illegal card reader use stems from the fact that the license will have a Radio Frequency I.D. tag or chip in it. It will broadcast a person’s personal information to a compatible scanner such as the ones used at U.S. border crossings.
The concern raised by the NDP and other groups is that the chip broadcasts 24/7 and that puts a person’s information at risk of being stolen unknowingly.

Ontario introduces new Enhanced Driver's License that can be used at the US border

Sure.. I'll trust an official that my rights won't be violated and stepped on.. why would it.. I voted these individuals in so they can implement such policies.. because God knows I need someone to watch over me. How else will they be able to put me in my place.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Living in a boarder town myself it is a date that I am not looking forward to. I am applying for a Nexus card for my boarder crossings.

So we are all treated as possible terrorist until proven innocent or entry worthy. Which sucks.

The Nexus card is 50.00 and free for children under 18, so this is my best option. Passports are expensive and unobtainable for me to get for all the family.

Trust is no longer part of freedom.(if it ever was)

new topics

top topics

join