It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a qustion in regards to the lights / power going out. (Blackout)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Let's say it's a clear night, your at home, and your power goes out... You live in a major city in America like Chicago, Houston, or even New York.

You go outside and you realize that the whole city has lost it's power... but it's even worse, the whole country has blacked out...

if you looked at the stars (in the sky), wouldn't they be as clear as they are in the middle of the desert?

Think about it... your standing outside... you look up at the sky right as the city looses it's power... wouldn't you go from seeing only a few stars to seeing thousands upon thousands in a matter of a few seconds?

maybe a stupid question, but i need an answer please.

Mods... do what you have to do to move this thread in it's proper location.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Absolutely correct. The light that would be normally bouncing back would no longer cast a glow that obscures the faintest stars.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You wouldn't have the light pollution so you would see more. You would still have the smog associated with large cities so the air would not be as clear as in the desert. I hope this helps

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Eyes Wide Shut is right. With the amount of air pollution there is now over any large city such as the ones OP named, its unlikely the visibility would be that good. If that happened, I'd be more concerned about watching out for what was going on ground level such as drivers jumping the curb with their vehicles.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
what a sight that would be. I have been kind of hoping for the old three day power outage from a hurricane just to be able to see the stars that clear. The las time I saw them like that was 15 years ago in Tennesee. It was a life changing expirience.

join