It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GAZA – A Tactical Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Disclaimer: This is UNPOLITICAL thread; please discuss the politics, justifications and reasons of this conflict elsewhere!

Purpose is thread is to create a tactical and operational review of the ongoing battle of Gaza. I have drafted a baseline index for the review. I assume that there are plenty of knowledgeable people here, who can help me fill it.

I try to do a daily summary and add the reports/notes to the baseline, this way we can collaborate easily. And please comment only the latest baseline version. And if you wish to change something, back your opinions with facts.

Why am I creating something like this? Because even in the middle of these tragic events, we can learn and understand tactics and even create better ones. This is also an experiment on collaborative writing and research. I placed this here instead of the Research

Index
1) IDF

1.2) IDF Armour
- Equipment used
- How they were employed
- Shortcomings
- New methods

1.3) IDF Artillery
- Equipment used
- How they were employed
- Shortcomings
- New methods

1.4) IDF Infantry
- Equipment used
- How they were employed
- Shortcomings
- New methods

2) IAF
- Equipment used
- How they were employed
- Shortcomings
- New methods
- Targeting

3) Other arms and combined arms work
- Navy
- Signalls

4) Hamas
4.1) Qassam operations
- Launch sites and procedures
- Targeting
- Weapon design

4.2) Infantry operations
- Tactics
- Weapons employed
- Targets (if any IDF assets are specially targeted)

5) Other Palestinian factions and their co-operation

And please if you do have even the smallest things to add, please post it. Co-operation is strength and together we may do a fine article for the ATS and even MSM.

Best regards,
Northwolf
Objective observer (at least I’m trying to be)

Ps. I'll try to add as much as i can myself

[edit on 13-1-2009 by northwolf]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think that this could be an interesting thread, however without wider participation it may not get very far.

Media reports are contrast starkly to events on the ground, even Al Jezeera.

There are a plethora of webcams posted on this site that give views of Gaza from both within the city looking out, and from the hilltops of Israel looking inwards.

For instance this morning (around 8am PST) I was watching Al Jezeera side-by-side with 3 feeds from Gaza revealing the complete north of the city. Al Jezeera reported heavy fighting and bombing occurring at that very moment in the north of the city, yet the live feeds revealed nothing but civilian traffic on the roads. Not even an ambulance.

There are ATS'ers that claim to have seen evidence that suggests the use of white phosphorous and DIME bombs, but there are no screenshots to support this or provide a foundation for further examination.

I think collecting the information will be much harder than collating it, but I'll give it the old college try. It may take a while.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by cogburn]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
IDF order of battle:

www.globalsecurity.org...

IDF equipment:

www.globalsecurity.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Hamas OOB:

newwars.wordpress.com...

Hamas equipment:

www.worldnetdaily.com...
www.aviationweek.com... PostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a9ef3da08-1e0f-4239-9fa8-5c1e969f411a&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending

here's a start

new topics

join