It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusually Large Shipment of Weapons to Israel: Are the US and Israel Planning a Broader Middle East

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Unusually Large Shipment of Weapons to Israel: Are the US and Israel Planning a Broader Middle East War?

www.globalresearch.ca

A very large delivery of US weaponry to Israel consisting of 3,000 tons of "ammunition" is scheduled to sail to Israel. The size and nature of the shipments are described as "unusual"

The Pentagon has entrusted a Greek merchant shipping company to deliver the weapons to Israel

It is worth noting that a similar unusually large shipment of US ordinance to Israel was scheduled in early December
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I doubt Israel needs these weapons to attack Gaza. They have all the ammunition they really need there. So what are they using this for? There are reports of a new front of this war in Lebanon. And Iran is also on high alert. The U.S. and Israel are no doubt planning something, but what?

Whatever the nature of these large weapons shipments, they are intended for use in a future military operation in the Middle East.

Since the launching of the Theater Iran Near Term Operation Operation (TIRANNT) in May 2003, an escalation scenario involving military action directed against Iran and Syria has been envisaged. TIRANNT was followed by a series of military plans pertaining to Iran. Numerous official statements and US military documents have pointed to an expanded Middle East war.

What these shipments suggest is that the "escalation scenario" not only prevails, but has reached a more active stage in the process of US-Israeli military planning.

Whether these weapons will be used or not is not known. The central question, in this regard, is whether the Gaza invasion is part of a broader military adventure directed against Lebanon, Syria and Iran, in which heavier weaponry including US made bunker buster bombs will be used.

Edit: There's a lot more information in the article as well.

www.globalresearch.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Total Reality]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Is it really unusual or is it because people are paying more attention to what is being delivered to Israel?

Could be that the US is shipping the same amount except this time it chose to ship it in less boats therefore making it look bigger than what it really is.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It's 3,00 tons, I'd say that's unusually large. The actual article has quotes and stuff:

"Shipping 3,000-odd tons of ammunition in one go is a lot," one broker said, on condition of anonymity.

"This (kind of request) is pretty rare and we haven't seen much of it quoted in the market over the years," he added.

"Shipping brokers in London who have specialized in moving arms for the British and U.S. military in the past said such ship charters to Israel were rare. (Reuters, Jan 10, 2009)

"The U.S. is seeking to hire a merchant ship to deliver hundreds of tons of arms to Israel from Greece later this month, tender documents seen by Reuters show.

The U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command (MSC) said the ship was to carry 325 standard 20-foot containers of what is listed as "ammunition" on two separate journeys from the Greek port of Astakos to the Israeli port of Ashdod in mid-to-late January.

A "hazardous material" designation on the manifest mentions explosive substances and detonators, but no other details were given.(Ibid)

"Tender documents indicate that the German ship hired by the US in early December also carried a massive cargo of weapons that weighed over 2.6 million kg [2600 tons] and filled up to 989 standard 20-foot containers to Ashdod from North Carolina." (Press TV, 10 Jan 2009)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
An update:

The shipment is not cancelled. It is delayed, following public outcry as well as pressure exerted on the Greek shipping company. The Pentagon is envisaging an alternative shipment procedure.

A US military spokesperson: "I can confirm that the U.S. munition shipment has been delayed and that EUCOM (U.S. European Command) is developing an appropriate course of action to deliver the items to the U.S. stockpile in Israel,"

link

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Right now all we can do is speculate on what is to come. The elite have their plans, I doubt the plans will get leaked out to the general populace.

Alot of the weapons that Israel has are from the US. Almost all of them are from the US. They have to re-stock their weapons when they are used to ensure they can maintain a state of readiness. I am sure they are just re-stocking and the Global research group is blowing this up more than it needs to be.

Edit: I saw that it was delayed, do not believe this. It will arrive in Israel by unconventional means. When conventional does not work, unconventional tactics are used. It will arrive.....
-Kdial1

[edit on 13-1-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Simple solution.

Paint over the "ammunition" label and mark it with "tractor parts".

That was way to easy.

If the Greeks won't ship it, someone else will. Lets call Iran. They are trying to play all sides of this conflict.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Total Reality

It is interesting nonetheless. I just think the US chose to send it all at one time rather than send it little by little. As to its purpose, that itself is the million dollar question. Maybe it is being sent in case Iran decides to two step into the picture.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
That's very true I hadn't thought of that. Seems like a strange situation. Something is going to happen, like I said in another thread I think that WW3 is coming. Maybe I'm just paranoid but with this shipment of weapons to an already heavily armed Israel it seems they're planning for some kind of covert operation.

The story also says that the weapons will make it there by late January. Just iin time for this generated crisis that Powell/Biden were talking about?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yeah, I kept wondering why biden was so strong about being tested. Could it be that Obama is going to instigate something to show the world that he is capable of running the show? Hard to believe since he seems more intent on concentrating on the domestic front.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Yeah, I kept wondering why biden was so strong about being tested. Could it be that Obama is going to instigate something to show the world that he is capable of running the show? Hard to believe since he seems more intent on concentrating on the domestic front.

If this happens, I hope Barry is prepared for his new role as Villain #1. The poor guy cares way to much about what people think of him. I think he will be better suited for the role of Mini-Me to all of those behind the curtain.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Did anyone catch hilary clintons Q & A thing on tv today? Her answers in my opinion gave clear intention that an attack on Iran was the only way as she said a nuclear Iran is unacceptable and that they fully support Israel in their actions in gaza which to me shows that they are prepared to support them in iran. She reminded us that all options are on the table and that a new approach is being considered but reminding us again that Iran has proved that they are not interested in giving up the nuclear ambitions. Also the israeli pm yesterday said it wasnt hamas or hizbolla they wanted to crush but the power behind them - namily Iran.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Although what's going on domestically is rather important right now, there's a lot of other things going on that Obama is sort of ignoring or trying to take attention away from. It seems we are doing things in other countries and instead of Obama acknowledging these things he's waving his other arm and jumping up and down yelling "look over here, look over here!".

It's strange to me. It seems Obama in the White House is a distraction for the American people when they should be very concerned about what's going on in the Middle East. I have no doubt that it will directly effect us very soon.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
3,000 tons of ammunition is not very much. My God, this stuff weighs a lot, and it doesn't take much to make a ton. In fact, one single 2,000 bomb.

You have to figure in that when it comes to munitions, often the packing will weigh as much as the ordinance.

When Britain sent its force down to retake the Falklands, there were US ships that met them at sea and transferred a lot of munitions as well.

What pisses me off is that IMI ammunition and ammunition components have dried up here in the US. They've got some really good stuff.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

I only caught the very end of that on TV this morning.She's always been for attacking Iran, and I think now it just might happen. They have a lot of support from Americans who are willing I think to let them do whatever they "have to do". It's very scary.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i would imagine thats about equal to 1,000 fork lifts, which would fit into our 3-4 acre warehouse building... doesnt seem like all that much to me. im sure they are burning through their ammunition in Gaza and they need to make sure they stay stocked up if another country gets involved.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Total Reality

This is 48hrs old..you guys need to check your sources

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Could it be that they are stocking up? Seeing as how the world views Israel as the bad guy...maybe they know they are threatened by their actions according to other nations.

I would think Israel, after going for Hamas, is ready for something bigger. And Unfortunately (unless Obama has other plans) the U.S. will most likely back whatever decision Israel makes, therefore jumping into battle.

Israel and Russia invading smaller nations? Seems like we're due for a big one.

I think its all preparation...lets hope im right because if we swing into another country with israel leading, it will get ugly.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What's the big deal with getting the shipment from Greece to Israel.
If Israel wants/needs it badly enough go and get it. I'm sure they have cargo ships and military ships capable of transfering the cargo from whatever ship is in Greece right now with the supplies.
Or is the transfer more complicated than this?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

I do think it is an illusion. Too many countries are maintaining quiet on this. Yeah you hear an occasional cry to stop, but for the most part they are staying out of it. It is as though they approve of the operation but don't want to give it its blessing. Besides general statements what foreign leaders have come out demanding that Israel stop the invasion. Even Abbas and Fatah are relatively quiet in the West Bank. You know that Fatah is always itching for a fight with Israel. It is just too weird.

new topics

top topics

join