It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Homeland Security approves building national biodefense lab in Kansas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Department of Homeland Security approves building national biodefense lab in Kansas

www.themercury.com

Associated Press
TOPEKA, Kan. The Department of Homeland Security gave final approval Monday for a site at Kansas State University for a $450 million federal lab where animal diseases and other potential bioterrorism threats will be researched.

DHS released its final report which confirms a decision announced in December to build a new National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility at the Manhattan, Kan., campus to replace an aging lab at Plum Island, N.Y.

Sites in Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina and Texas were also considered for the new lab.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This new facility is going to be built within half a mile of my house. I have seen the general plans for the building and must say that they are pretty impressive. The construction is scheduled to begin this spring. The Dept of Home Land Security came and gave a briefing about a month ago, they told us about some of the research that has gone on at Plum Island and peoples security concerns. Overall they said with this new facility the security and research facility will be cutting edge. Personally I think this will be a great opportunity for our little town. You can’t beat 1500 temp construction jabs and 500 full time jobs.

www.themercury.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hey ATS! First post, so play nice. I live in San Antonio and we were one of the cities in the running for this lab to be be built. I heard on the news the other day that the city of San Antonio is planning to sue because there were some sketchy dealings. Supposedly while in the bidding process Kansas added a sum of money to the deal, which was not initially allowed and the city of San Antonio was not allowed to counter. Also, from what I understand there was an F4 tornado that struck that area within the past few months, which is kinda scarey.

Anyways, I heard this on the radio the other day, so hope it's accurate, if not then flame on me!!

--E in SA--

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

Good luck with that! As a resident of Suffolk County on Long Island, we often peek over to Plum Island when visiting the Montauk area. Every time I do, I can't help but think about that book about USAMRID and Ebola.

If you can get the clearance, the work there is solid, and a good opportunity. Otherwise be prepared to watch from the other side of a chain link fence.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So you think you can trust the PTB?
You haven't developed a deep distrust of all things govt. after being on ATS?

Could I intrest you in some land in Florida?

How about a nice frendly game of poker?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Whether or not I can trust them is not the point. This facility is bringing a lot on needed jobs to the area, and who knows maybe with the new facility and new funding will come the cure for some of these dreaded diseases like Ebola or even Aids.

[edit on 1/13/2009 by ice1300]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yay! It's going to be right down the road from my house, can't wait.

Not a one liner!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Good Post,

First of all congratulations on the Bio Lab, that certianly will have a huge impact on the community. I live in San Antonio, which was the Texas city in the running for the Bio Lab. I'm posting today not as a poor sport, but to inform ATS of what I heard on the radio the other day. After it was decided that the lab was to be built in Kansas, i heard that the city was planning a lawsuite in reguards to the decision. Apparently the rules were changed during the bidding process and the cities were asked to provide funding to the deal. This took place while the San Antonio board responsible for the funding was not in session, and subsequently was not allowed to modify their bid. The program I was listening to gave reference to the idea that Kansas was always going to be the location and San Antonio, and the others were meerly being used to look as though the bid was objective. Also, they stated that an F4 tornado had hit that area not more then a few months ago!
Anyways, here is an article that might help.
www.mysanantonio.com...

First post so don't flame me too hard!
-E-

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ice1300
reply to post by whaaa

Whether or not I can trust them is not the point. This facility is bringing a lot on needed jobs to the area, and who knows maybe with the new facility and new funding will come the cure for some of these dreaded diseases like Ebola or even Aids.

[edit on 1/13/2009 by ice1300]

Right....I understand about the jobs but name one disease that a federal research facility has ever cured. Usually disease research is from

academic, pharmaceutical or private institutions.

All the Feds are interested in is weapons. Research the Plum Island facility and then get back to me.

Anyway, good luck.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just a thought...Stephen Kings "The Stand".... I know the jobs are needed in Kansas but I hate to think that U of Kansas has to resort to bio-warfare investigation to help with jobs. Besides that, I'm willing to bet most that will be employed will be those with degrees that move to the state rather than locals getting the jobs. Maybe sweeping the floors or cleaning crews, but those will be ilegals anyway, so the only benfit will be to the University and not the residents. Typical of most in acedemia!

Zindo

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

How about foot and mouth or hoof in mouth (Aphtae epizooticae) they developed a vaccine in late 2007 that protects against the disease. Any one that has grown up around livestock or wildlife such as deer know that this is a very serious problem. I know that we haven’t seen a major outbreak of foot and mouth in the US since 1929 but there was a very serious outbreak in Brittan in 2001. That outbreak let to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of animals.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

I stand corrected. Still..........Good Luck!

top topics

join