It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ann Coulter bashes single motherhood on the View

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
...I also take offence to Ann's idea that every single mother is a whiny, mooching woman breeding future criminals. ...

While I believe Ann Coulter is a gasbag and a hypocrite, on this particular point, she does have a valid criticism.

Whether you like it or not, the percentage of prison inmates from single MOTHER households are about 85%-90%. Only 2% come from single FATHER households.

Aren't you aware of how children are created? If so, then you would know that YES, MOST WOMEN "choose" to be single mothers.

What's that you say? What about women who are single mothers through divorce? Oh, let's look at the stats for that. About 75% of divorces today are initiated by the women. Of those, VERY FEW are a result of abuse, drug abuse, or abandonment.

If anything, women's "liberation" has taught us that women (as a gender) do not have the capability to decide who will be a good father to their children. Seems like those "third world ideas" were right all along.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

...I challenge Ann to go spent some time in a women's shelter, and to observe the fear and hardship rampant in those places, then come look me in the eye and call those women liberal manipulators.

Who twisted those women's arms to force them to mate with men who wouldn't be good husbands and fathers?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

You mean a high school dropout washing dishes at Dennys who speaks some unintelligible ebonic dialect and regularly partakes in drunken fist fights isnt a good man?

But there's a big gold chain around his neck. That means he'll be a good provider. At least I think it's gold.

Sorry, people but women can be unfreaking believably stupid when decided for what or whom to spread'em. I've never once claimed clairvoyant powers of any kind but it doesnt take mystic abilities to spot a loser from light-years away.

I'm sure the whole attraction to fame and money thing they suffer from has a lot to do with it. Flava Flav!! F@#$ a crackhead, be on TV!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

Whether you like it or not, the percentage of prison inmates from single MOTHER households are about 85%-90%. Only 2% come from single FATHER households.

Aren't you aware of how children are created? If so, then you would know that YES, MOST WOMEN "choose" to be single mothers.

That statistic is misleading, seeing as there are vastly more single mother households than single father households.

And, yes, a woman might have chosen to leave the husband/boyfriend, but she may not have chosen to bring the specific problem that ended the relationship.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

...I challenge Ann to go spent some time in a women's shelter, and to observe the fear and hardship rampant in those places, then come look me in the eye and call those women liberal manipulators.

Who twisted those women's arms to force them to mate with men who wouldn't be good husbands and fathers?

If you do any amount of research into domestic abuse, you will find that many of the sufferers felt that they were coerced into sex at one time or another, even if they were not physically forced.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
granted a lot of children are born into the crappiest situations where their chances of a decent upbringing are severely limited.

but obviously, to make blanket statements against all single mothers is just rubbish. along with the basics, give children love, education and teach them good values and they can thrive no matter who raises them.

look at barack obama.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

While I agree with much of what you say, the sad fact for most women is that, young women have a very hard time with the concept of birth control through lack of information, parents who suppress modern safeguards and deny it will ever happen to their child, niavete and low confidence that makes it hard to not allow themselves to go over the edge when someone they care about wishes them too, a total lack of responsiblity being taught to young men regarding birth control, and get this, the fact that nearly 50% of women who begin with the pill, cannot continue to use it due to health problems (ie. I've experienced shooting pains up my arm and in my neck when I was 18 from it and they kept telling me this one would work, the new kind, only to go down with severe migraines several times a week).

This isn't really an issue that woman should be villianized on at all.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Coulter is a catalyst for intolerance - regardless of where you stand on the issues.

Ignore her, and she'll eventually go away.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yes, and something I thought about later.

That statistic that most prisoners come from single parent homes. It does not seem to define what constitutes "single"

I would venture that maybe, 75% of all children lived with parents that were "Single" at one point or another.

The parents were unmarried but lived together and got married 3 months after the birth... techinically "single."

The parents divorced and one remmaried a few months later... technically a "Single parent" for a short time.

The parents divorced while the kid was in high school... technically a "single parent."

So, that could be manipulated uite easily.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
If one person could end up a single mother right now, oh please God let it be Ann Coulter.

Please don't wish that.
Think of the poor children . . .

Every kid deserves two responsible, caring parents, but my (university educated) husband could not handle the fact that two of ours were handicapped, and was so violent to them I had to leave him when the youngest was four. Even that was too late, as one has permanent brain damage from being shaken.

After that I was too busy trying to support and care for these children on my own to find another husband who might want a family of handicapped and predamaged children. Lacking money, because the government decreased my pension in the expectation of him supporting me, but without forcing him too, I had to raid the supermarket dumpsters to feed my kids. With no support, the stress and isolation drove me half crazy, but I had to keep going because I loved them.

I studied, I worked, I bought a house.

Now my children are three wonderful adults, each honest, hard-working, well-spoken and courteous, and well respected by their employers.

People who knock single mothers have no idea what they go through trying to do it all on their own. And when you are in that situation the constant judgemental criticism from society can be very painful.

It's so easy for misogynists, (not all of whom are male,) to kick this most vulnerable section of society in the teeth. And, contrary to popular assertions, all the statistics I can find show well over half of all single mothers were married when they had their children.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I work at a community college and am around many single mothers, a majority have more than 2 kids, some have 4! They don't work, they go to school to get Pell grants and student loans that they will probably never have to pay back due to "hardship"! I overhear them talking about all the money they receive, especially at income tax time. I get so frustrated because here I am working and paying taxes to keep these women in money. They all have cell phones but receive food stamps, housing, etc. When they get their income tax refunds they get to go buy cars, etc. while I who work can hardly keep up my 12 year old vehicle. How fair is that? I resent our government for catering to these women. I understand if you have one child out of wedlock, but 4??????

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Yes, and something I thought about later.

That statistic that most prisoners come from single parent homes. It does not seem to define what constitutes "single"
So, that could be manipulated uite easily.

Here are some stats culled from another website (private, not open to the "general public"). Feel free to research the originals.

U. S. D.H.H.S. Bureau of the Census
u.. 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless
homes.
v.. 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes.

[Center for Disease Control]
w.. 80% of rapist motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes.

[Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14 p. 403-26]
x.. 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes.

[National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]
y.. 70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from
fatherless homes

[U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept., 1988]
z.. 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home.

[Fulton County Georgia Jail Populations and Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992]
aa.. Nearly 2 of every 5 children in America do not live with their fathers.

[US News and World Report, February 27, 1995, p.39]
There are:
a.. 11,268,000 total custodial mothers
b.. 2,907,000 total custodial fathers

[Current Populations Reports, US Bureau of the Census, Series P-20, No. 458, 1991]

What does this mean? Children from fatherless homes are:
a.. 4.6 times more likely to commit suicide,
b.. 6.6 times to become teenaged mothers (if they are girls, of
course),
c.. 24.3 times more likely to run away,
d.. 15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders,
e.. 6.3 times more likely to be in a state-operated institutions,
f.. 10.8 times more likely to commit rape,
g.. 6.6 times more likely to drop out of school,
h.. 15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager.

(The calculation of the relative risks shown in the preceding list is based 27% of children being in the care of single mothers.)

and - compared to children who are in the care of two biological,
married parents - children who are in the care of single mothers are:

a.. 33 times more likely to be seriously abused (so that they will require medical attention), and
b.. 73 times more likely to be killed.

["Marriage: The Safest Place for Women and Children", by Patrick F.Fagan and Kirk A. Johnson, Ph.D. Backgrounder #1535.]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Thank you for posting those. They still do not settle a point I addressed earlier, how exactly we define "Single parenthood" and likewise how "absent father" is decided.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

So, because single mothers have a frightfully difficult task ahead of them, and are wearing a responsibility better shouldered by a committed couple, society villainises them, treating them as unwanted outcasts.

Yes, that really helps.

Single motherhood stinks.
If some girls are choosing it as the lessor of two evils, the alternatives they are facing must be pretty bad.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ll__raine__ll
granted a lot of children are born into the crappiest situations where their chances of a decent upbringing are severely limited.

but obviously, to make blanket statements against all single mothers is just rubbish. along with the basics, give children love, education and teach them good values and they can thrive no matter who raises them.

look at barack obama.

Yes, look at obamassiah.............he was raised by his grandparents. Read his book, it backs up Ann (the most beautiful woman on earth).

Obamassiahs slanted insanity will bring down america to lower than 3rd world Hati or Zimbabwie............

Ann is 1000% right in this issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
How did Elizabeth react to the spouting nut.
Now she got a taste of how normal people feel about her.
Rosie and Woopie and you got a show.
Will the Obama age reshape he View.
Mind control is a cruel thing, time for change.
Illuminati suckers are the can't do thaters.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I hardly read fashion magazines anymore either because of the unveiled bias which they try to pass off as journalism, but far from treating single motherhood as a 'make lemonade out of lemons' situation, it's more like a 'good on ya!' for "career women" who can do it all - including that - on their own. After all, the target market of womens magazines is unmarried women aged 18-45.

That assumes that the good single mom's counterpart is also a good parent. Many are not, thus the reason why they are 'single.'

This is a common argument used by advocates of single parenthood, gay parenthood, and any parenthood which is non-traditional. One good parent alone is better than one good paired with one bad, or no good biological parents to speak of. This much I agree with and I did not say anything to the contrary. But we're not discussing the lesser of so many evils; we're discussing what is best for children. Sure a great mother who is single is better than a great mother and crap father together, but what is best for children is a good mother and father.

Again, no one goes into marriage thinking it will end in divorce and a broken home. BUT, tons of people don't even bother to enter into marriage today. They just act irresponsibly and end up pregnant, and I stand by my earlier position that these people are the most selfish among us.

And the men having sex with those women had nothing to do with bringing the child into the world.

No one is absolving absent fathers. Of course they owe much to their children and to the society which shoulders their responsibility. But as thisguyrighthere so humorously put it, a potentially gold chain shouldn't convince anyone to open their legs for a man and possibly bring a child into the world. Since women are the ones who carry the babies and end up stuck with them when the father leaves, the onus is on them to protect themselves from ending up in this situation.

Sperm banks also serve infertile couples. Do these happily married and stable people not deserve children because some "undesirable" might bring a child into the world?

Another common deflection used by adherents of nontraditional parenthood. Obviously sperm banks screen out unfit candidates for reception. I'm not saying that no one is fit to be a client, but I am saying that single women are among the unfit because they do not have a husband. To ensure that these women aren't the ones recieving the donations would be one of the easiest screening processes ever.

I didn't hear her say that, maybe you have a source to another interview where she stated that?

Ann didn't say that she's not talking about people who made every effort to prevent themselves from becoming single parents because it goes without saying. She's talking about people who acted irresponsibly with not a single thought to the consequences of their actions. Women who's husbands are absent through no fault of their own do not fall into this catergory because they did everything they could to be responsible.

It's really backwards. To people like Ann, these women are damned if they have sex and use birth control, damned if they get pregnant and get an abortion, but also damned if they get pregnant and keep the child.

Now I'll turn the question around on you. Where did you hear her say that she's against birth control for people who are old enough to consent? Where did you hear her say that she's damning women who keep their unplanned pregnancies which occurred in spite of responsible behavior? What Ann is saying is "Think ahead! Don't have unprotected sex unless you want a child! And if you do, be prepared to keep it and pay for it yourself."

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
reply to post by asmeone2

I hardly read fashion magazines anymore either because of the unveiled bias which they try to pass off as journalism, but far from treating single motherhood as a 'make lemonade out of lemons' situation, it's more like a 'good on ya!' for "career women" who can do it all - including that - on their own. After all, the target market of womens magazines is unmarried women aged 18-45.

Fashion magazines are not journalism. They are.... magazines... to sell clothes and make up and horoscopes and sex advice and, occasionally, opinions.

This is a common argument used by advocates of single parenthood, gay parenthood, and any parenthood which is non-traditional. One good parent alone is better than one good paired with one bad, or no good biological parents to speak of. This much I agree with and I did not say anything to the contrary. But we're not discussing the lesser of so many evils; we're discussing what is best for children. Sure a great mother who is single is better than a great mother and crap father together, but what is best for children is a good mother and father.

Where I disagree is that I think it is worse for the child to go through a divorce, and watch his mom/dad get back into the dating sceen than to be single.

I think it is much more selfish for a parent to spend time looking for a partner, than spend that time with the kid. That is also selfish IMO.

Even if mom or dad finds the perfect compliment ther eis no guarantee that he and the kids will get along.

[Quote]
Again, no one goes into marriage thinking it will end in divorce and a broken home. BUT, tons of people don't even bother to enter into marriage today. They just act irresponsibly and end up pregnant, and I stand by my earlier position that these people are the most selfish among us.

We are agreed that this is selfish but IMO this illustrates why birth control needs to be more readily availble.

No one is absolving absent fathers. Of course they owe much to their children and to the society which shoulders their responsibility. But as thisguyrighthere so humorously put it, a potentially gold chain shouldn't convince anyone to open their legs for a man and possibly bring a child into the world. Since women are the ones who carry the babies and end up stuck with them when the father leaves, the onus is on them to protect themselves from ending up in this situation.

If you are going to take the attitude that women shoudln't sleep with any old guy, please at least recognize that guys also shouldn't hit on and sexually pressure just any old girl.

Another common deflection used by adherents of nontraditional parenthood. Obviously sperm banks screen out unfit candidates for reception. I'm not saying that no one is fit to be a client, but I am saying that single women are among the unfit because they do not have a husband. To ensure that these women aren't the ones recieving the donations would be one of the easiest screening processes ever.

I'm sure they will find many more traditional ways of filling that tickign clock.

Ann didn't say that she's not talking about people who made every effort to prevent themselves from becoming single parents because it goes without saying. She's talking about people who acted irresponsibly with not a single thought to the consequences of their actions. Women who's husbands are absent through no fault of their own do not fall into this catergory because they did everything they could to be responsible.

No she didn't. At least, not onThe View interview that we are talking about.

Now I'll turn the question around on you. Where did you hear her say that she's against birth control for people who are old enough to consent? Where did you hear her say that she's damning women who keep their unplanned pregnancies which occurred in spite of responsible behavior? What Ann is saying is "Think ahead! Don't have unprotected sex unless you want a child! And if you do, be prepared to keep it and pay for it yourself."

Once again she did NOT say that in this interview, I posted a complete transcript above.

She makes no distinction at all in this interview. They are all irrisponsibel to her.

I heard her exclude widows in another radio interview, but that's about it.

When I said "People Like Ann," I meant the entire extreme-conservative movement, not specifically her, or I would have posted a quote for her.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry, I couldn't get past 2 minutes of that tripe. When she brought up "the left" I knew there was nothing left to listen to. Don't get your pants in a bunch, Carville makes me puke too. I was thinking that she wouldn't have the opportunity to be a single mother, short of a sperm donor but hey, maybe Carville's her man. Unfortunately the progeny from that union would probably be:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hence my objection. I think Whoopi said it too. She has never been married or had children, how can she understand what it is to be a single mother and say that they are victimizing others?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join