It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Okay, it seems one of my favorite films of all time is being remade...

red dawn remake

So are we being psychologically prepped or what?

Is this what it's finally going to come down too?

And if so, why do I find it alluring? I have to admit, I loved the first rendition and the timing of this with Russia being belligerent again is no coincidence...

So is this our future? Should I be taking notes?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
From the original movie

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I loved Red Dawn!

I always wanted them to make a sequel... Red Dawn LA or Red Dawn NYC.... 20 minutes of introduction, a few minutes of crackdown on the mob & gangs... an hour and a half of the Mob, Gangs, Police and citizens fracking that Red Ass.

Staring:
Ray Liotta
Joe Pesci
Samuel L. Jackson
Terry Tate
Henning Lindblad

Now that would be a movie. Both entertaining and funny!

[edit on 12-1-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

It's not a sequel, the remake actually is about a Russian Invasion of the USA in post 9-11 times, no word yet on who the Russian allies are or what the scenario actually is... although you could just turn on the news

In the 80's Red Dawns purpose was to help Regan be re-elected,

What i'm asking is... why the remake now?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Because they have nothing original... a better question would be what haven't they remade?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

okay, true, true, even my favorite comic movies are stories I read 20 years ago

lack of new ideas a huge reason...

But you don't think that movies like 300 and this one coming up have some sort of propaganda hand in their making at all?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'd love to see a remake but as far as the OP I don't think there is anything in it prepping us for any future event. Unless they need the radiator filled

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wolverines!!

Seems a strange movie to remake.

I grew up in the 80's and all these coldwar movies scared the heck out of me.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I just find this interesting, because it's been a long time since the Media has been depicting the Russians as an "Enemy" of the Usa in film and media and here comes right following the events of this year, Red Dawn the remake...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Red Dawn is one of my most favorite movies of all time. It's great for the time period that it came out in. While surprised that they are remaking it, it kind of makes sense, with Russia making something of a comeback as something of an aggressor nation again with the invasion of the Republic of Georgia.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You know, living in the age of the terrorist is tough. It’s enough to make a person miss the communists. Most of you were babies when the Berlin wall fell but at least those damn Ruskkies stayed on their side of it. Oh sure, there was lots of yelling and accusations and baiting of one another, but nobody strapped on a bomb and blew up a bus with it. Sure, as a child we would have to duck under our desks in atomic bomb drills, like that little particle board desk was someone going to stop the radiation and shock wave from a 100 Kiloton nuclear bomb, but that was about as bad as it got. Hell, the tornado drills were scarier than the communists. I never thought I’d say it but I miss the good old days of the cold war. (sigh.)

I have Red Dawn on DVD and occasionally watch it. About once a year or so.

How do you remake a classic though? Remember when that evil, soul less monster Ted Turner added color to Casablanca? (May he forever burn in hell for that transgression.)

Some movies were not made to be updated. They are from a time and place that is unique to that time and place.

Perhaps it's my lack of vision.

I just hope it's not theirs.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I agree, not sure how they are going to remake this better than before.

Of course high end effects would be of some help and the story could be made even more plausible now than it was in 84 if updated, they did say it was a post 9-11 spin...

But it's hard to imagine, the rawness and lack of effects made the original seem very "real" it would be interesting to see how they "capture" that feel or if they go with some absurd high effects laden story in which "The wolverines" build a new post nuclear super weapon or some insane nonsense that goes way beyond what the story is actually about

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I agree, not sure how they are going to remake this better than before.

Ditto...the original is a classic.

And thanks to this thread for reminding me I don't currently own it. Something to add to my birthday list.

top topics

join