It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billy Crystal: “Earthquake Could Hit U.S. on Inauguration Day”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Could of posted this in fragile earth but thought it was more appropriate for predictions forum.

Anyway seems like Billy Crystal has had some sort of revaluation and predicted that an earthquake will happen at Yellowstone coinciding with Obamas inauguration.

Maybe he lurks somewhere on ATS?

Monday, 12 January 2009 NEW YORK, NY (January 12, 2009) Speaking last night to talk show host David Letterman, Tony- and Emmy-Award winning performer Billy Crystal made a surprise prediction that the U.S. would experience a “major or minor earthquake” centered around Yellowstone National Park at the same date as the inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama.

“I don’t know, it just came to me in your Green Room that this would happen,” the Long Island native confided to a somewhat shaken Letterman. “I don’t know the meaning of it, if any.”

Officials at Yellowstone were skeptical of Crystal’s prediction. "Statistically, it would be surprising to see an eruption the next hundred years," said Jake Lowenstern, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based scientist in charge of Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

SOURCE

[edit on 12-1-2009 by orgyofthedead]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

“major or minor earthquake” centered around Yellowstone National Park at the same date as the inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama.

That does not seem to me to be very prophetic considering Yellowstone has been in the news lately and is having earthquakes like everyday.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

sty

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
well, it would be a great great deal to predict an earthquake with one hour in advance for example. This is why a claim like the one posted in the thread would be just one of the many predictions to come and go.. there will be no major earthquake! actually today it was one of the quietest in a long time, only 2 global earthquakes with the magnitude over 4..

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, he could also be being a funny guy. He is a comedian and he could just be teasing people about things that people seem freaked out about, Yellowstone and Obama becoming President.

After all, what he is "predicting" is shockingly predictable.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

There are often 1 to 20 earthquakes recorded in Yellowstone National Park every day.

If there were NOT an earthquake, minor or major in Yellowstone that day, THAT would be the unusual event.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What? am I the only one who is confused over the "source" statement in the OP, since Billy said quakes and not "eruption" of any volcano. Was this article cut and pasted together or something?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just to add, i dont know if this was said in jest as i have not seen the footage just read the article. But assuming that letterman was "shocked" and they even asked the head guy at Yellowstones opinion, i think he was seriously predicting something.

I dont know why he said this, but as previous poster said you always have earthquakes at ys but for one to interrupt Obamas inauguration would have to be big, no?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Haha. From what he said, I bet he is a member on here.
When I saw the title of this thread I went "You can't possibly mean THE Billy Crystal actor/comedian?"

Apparently, yes.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
What? am I the only one who is confused over the "source" statement in the OP, since Billy said quakes and not "eruption" of any volcano. Was this article cut and pasted together or something?

Lol. Yeah I did find that funny, but not confusing or surprising. It is a natural human tendency to take what someone has said and then in your own mind elaborate upon it, and turn it into something it wasnt.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Well as far as i know he only said earthquake, whether he meant this will lead to an eruption i dont know.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The Yellowstone official said an ERUPTION he never said anything about an earthquake. yes i know that has been said before.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
OK Now I'm confused
Billy Said earthquake and the guy at Yellowstone said eruption is that it?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by orgyofthedead

“major or minor earthquake” centered around Yellowstone National Park at the same date as the inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama. ”

Since "minor" earthquakes happen at Yellowstone multiple times daily, year in and year out, he is correct.

I make the following prediction to add to the one by Billy. Nobody will notice or care and it will have no effect on our daily lives. It will not make the "Top Ten List" for happenings on that day

[edit on 1/12/2009 by Blaine91555]

[edit on 1/12/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Personally I think that since Billy Crystal is a genuine Celebrity this should become a hundred page or larger thread. He deserves at least as much attention as a web-bot I'd think?

When there is in fact a 1.2 earthquake on that day, he should get his own Forum on ATS and perhaps an Emmy I think. Maybe even a Nobel Peace Prize if there is a quake over 3 in magnitude.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I know what youre saying and im sure it will turn out like most of the prophecies that are made.

Why would he say this in the first place, what made him think that?
Is it a case of being in the limelight sort of thing? Couldnt saying some thing like this backfire on him?

Also he does contradict himself when he says minor or major eq, surely it would have to be a big quake that would set off an eruption to stop him being president?

[edit on 12-1-2009 by orgyofthedead]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If I'm not mistaken the "guy at Yellowstone" you refer to does not actually work at Yellowstone as a Vulcanologist, but instead sells water filtration systems along with his father for a living. He visited Yellowstone, shot a few minutes of himself talking and uses it as and ad to draw people to his site to sell them things.

I too have a degree in Geology. It's more than 30 years old, I've never used it and never specialized as a Vulcanologist, so I'm at least as qualified as he and I'm not qualified at all.

I make the following prediction in regards to this. There will someday be another eruption at Yellowstone. It may be large and it may be relatively small. It may be catastrophic or it may be an interesting note in the Yellowstone Park travel brochures. It may happen during the Inauguration or it may happen in a million years.

I stand by my prediction, now can we talk about you buying survival products?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by orgyofthedead

He is a comedian. Perhaps he is making a joke at our expense?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Jake Lowenstern
YVO Scientist-in-Charge Jake Lowenstern

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by orgyofthedead

That is a different person than the one I'm talking about who made the You Tube, scare you out of your money video's.

I'd be interested in what this fellow has to say.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This looks like a good read on the topic.

Preliminary Assessment of Volcanic and HydrothermalHazards in Yellowstone National Park and VicinityBy Robert L. Christiansen, Jacob B. Lowenstern, Robert B. Smith, Henry Heasler, Lisa A. Morgan, ManuelNathenson, Larry G. Mastin, L. J. Patrick Muffler, and Joel E. RobinsonOpen-

I quickly read a small part and they have written it so it can be understood by the general public.

top topics

join