It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 200 missing after Indonesia ferry sinks Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40pm EST

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

More than 200 missing after Indonesia ferry sinks Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:40pm EST

www.reuters.com

PARE-PARE, Indonesia, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Indonesian rescue teams were desperately searching for more survivors on Monday as scores remained missing after a ferry carrying 250 passengers and 17 crew sank in stormy seas at the weekend in the country's east.

An official on the island of Sulawesi said only 20 survivors had been found so far and quoted them as saying the ferry rolled over and sank after being hit by waves of more than 5 metres (16 feet) in the early hours of Sunday.

"There is a greater possibility than many more died than we expected because it happened when they were sleeping," Taufik Bulu, head of maritime safety in the port of Pare-pare, said by telephone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This is unbelievable! What is going on in this part of the world?
The tsunami, a 7.8 earthquake a few days ago, not to mention a horrible ferry disaster 2 years ago that killed 850.

The article states that these types of accidents are due to under-investment in the country's infrastructure and a tendency to overload the ferries.

I would like to know are there any laws governing the safety inspection of these vessels? If so, then who is responsible for the deaths of all these people?

I realize weather was the factor that caused the ferry to sink. Do they have no way of monitoring weather forecast? What about lifeboats? At the very least life jackets?

These types of accidents seem to be avoidable and negligible.
I am truly sorry for all the one's who lost family, friends etc.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join