It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali pirate's body washes ashore with $153,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Somali pirate's body washes ashore with $153,000

news.yahoo.com

MOGADISHU, Somalia – The body of a Somali pirate who drowned just after receiving a huge ransom washed onshore with $153,000 in cash, a resident said Sunday, as the spokesman for another group of pirates promised to soon free a Ukrainian arms ship.

Five pirates drowned Friday when their small boat capsized after they received a reported $3 million ransom for releasing a Saudi oil tanker. Local resident Omar Abdi Hassan said one of the bodies had been found on a beach near the coastal town of Haradhere and relatives were searching for the other four.

"One of them was discovered and they are still looking for the other ones. He had $153,000 in a plastic bag in his pocket," he said Sunday.

The U.S. navy released photos of a parachute dropping a package onto the deck of the Sirius Star, and said the package was likely to be the ransom delivery.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/1/2009 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I thought the USA didn't negotiate with "Terrorists" or in this case "Pirates"
Same thing. Hijackers of the seas, rather than the skies.

Aren't pirates the equivelent of the purported 911 perps?

And here they are stuffed full of cash washing ashore.
How about dropping a load of cash on the US citizens? take our expensive "War Machine" of a military, and take out these pirates.

No boarders will keep terrorists safe...right?

Why give them monies? I think that the whole government is ass-backwards today

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
it's the same when a thief steals an expensive painting.

the insurance company rather pays the thief a small percentage to get it back than to pay the full amount to the owners.

pathetic indeed but greed has no limits...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I thought people realized this is just part of the Hollywood image of the United States? You have to separate the movie cliches from the reality. Everybody negotiates when they have something valuable to lose.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

...the body of a Somali pirate who drowned just after receiving a huge ransom washed onshore with $153,000 in cash...

Yeah....... I'm buyin' that story. Some Navy Seals just made off with $3 million minus the chump change they planted on one of the "pirates" just for a bit of the ol' "plausible deniability" factor.

MBF

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

I think it was Saudi Arabia that paid the ransom, not the USA. It was a Saudi supertanker that was hijacked, wasn't it?

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
OK...we don't...this ransom was dropped off by Saudi nationals. The damn pictures are all over the MSM. If the US was involved in this overturning we would have hit the entire cargo ship. The US and its allies have repeaedely said they cannot attack these hijacked vessels without signifigant casualties. But I am sure someone will say our SO's don't give 2 s's about civies.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

Five pirates drowned Friday when their small boat capsized after they received a reported $3 million ransom for releasing a Saudi oil tanker.

"One of them was discovered and they are still looking for the other ones. He had $153,000 in a plastic bag in his pocket," he said Sunday.

The U.S. navy released photos of a parachute dropping a package onto the deck of the Sirius Star, and said the package was likely to be the ransom delivery.

It's likely that navy seals took these guys out. It's not like they didn't have it comming though.

Good job guys.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

So they found 153,000 Saudi Riyals, and a enough hallalas that he couldn't stay afloat?

OK. I guess what threw me off was the "...$153,000 in cash" part.

edit to add:

I searched Wiki.

Search results
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You searched for saudi arabian cash (all pages starting with "saudi arabian cash" | all pages that link to "saudi arabian cash")

Jump to: navigation, search
No article title matches

[edit on 12-1-2009 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Well, it might very well have been US dollars, the hijackers might have asked specifically for them, or, the MSM might just have translated the amount into dollars so that the American readers would understand better.

But it does look like the Saudi's paid it. Apparently, however, they had our military at their beck and call while they did it. Imagine that.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If the seals had been sent to take them out then they would never have gotten the money to start with.
They were capsized in rough seas with the ransom from a large ship. It is amazing that they have the balls to pull off such an operation and get a ransom but not the brains to escape with the ill gotten gains.

Maybe they could have survived if they didn't have all of that wet paper weighing them down.

Poetic justice.
Karma.
What goes around comes around.
That's gotta suck.
Asphyxiation is a bitch.
It just gets worse from here.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Talk about finding the pirate's treasure!

(not a one liner)

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
So it's true... You can take it with you when you go.

Give the guy a break. He's got 47 vestal virgins to buy Big Macs for...

Unfortunately they'll be very big vestal virgins, but hey you gotta be happy in the afterlife...

Actually I heard that a bunch of them jumped overboard when the the money parachuted to them went overboard.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hello,

Last Thursday, on Rush, a caller called in stating that he heard or read a news report about the rules of engagement (applies to the US Merchant Marines) while still on board the shipping vessel, Alabama, and this was during the short time that they had some of the pirates in custody. The report was that the Obama administration ordered that the US merchant marines would be held accountable and put on trial if the Somali pirates were mistreated.

A cursory search for a URL doesn't seem to be productive so far.

Appreciate hearing from anyone who knows about this.

Moderators, if I posted this query to the wrong thread, please moderator me. I didn't want to start a stand-alone message thread for this one query.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So is that why three pirates just got their heads blown off by Navy Seals? ...I mean I know Obama is the cause for all problems in the world and the new George Bush but the reality of what happened kind of goes counter to what you just said now didn't it?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Would people at least read the article before spouting off with your run-of-the-mil, anti-everything diatribes?

This was regarding the Saudi tanker. They paid the ransom. Not the US.

The Navy SEALs were involved with an entirely different freighter.

The reason this guy only has $153,000 on him is because they divided up the ransom amongst the 5 pirates and a good portion of it probably washed away when their boat capsized.

Do you know how heavy a stack of $3 million dollars is?

1 million US dollars in $100 dollar bills weights over 30 pounds. No wonder these guys never made it.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

It was a Saudi oil tanker, not a US ship. Most likely the Saudi company that owned the ship decided to pay the ransom. The US had no say in the outcome of this matter.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I just watched the film 300 and I must say that this headline almost sounds like comedy to me (I do not have Hillary on cue to kackle about this...). Would it not be the dream of any young Somali pirate to, someday, have their body wash ashore with $153,000? I think so.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The rules of engagement finally become known.
www.worldnetdaily.com...

... Multiple opportunities to free the captain of the Maersk Alabama from three young pirates were missed, these sources say – all because a Navy SEAL team was not immediately ordered to the scene and then forced to operate under strict, non-lethal rules of engagement. ...

The White House also turned down two rescue plans offered up by the Seal commander on the scene and the captain of the USS Bainbridge...

top topics

join