It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternal flame only lasts until gas bill arrives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Eternal flame only lasts until gas bill arrives

news.yahoo.com

BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. – An "eternal" flame at Bullhead City's new veterans memorial park that only lasted until city officials received a $961 gas bill has been re-lit following complaints by veterans groups.
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD note: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalize it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/11/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Things are getting pretty bad out there. Maybe the Vets in the area should be angry at the gas company for even charging to keep the gas flowing.

It just seems to me that everything these days boils down to the almighty dollar.

I guess the "Eternal Flame" is just another name for a lie.

Is Bullhead City that broke? If a city shuts down the eternal flame for $900, things are bad in Arizona too.

You'd think McCain would step in, but we all know that would only be to get some press exposure.

The world is in a pathetic place, morality wise.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/11/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I lay the blame on the doorstep of the town itself (and with 40,000 people, it barely qualifies as a city). They should have been well aware of what the monthly cost would be when they built it and if it was too high, they should have scaled back.

At any rate, I'm sure that the mayor and city council members can chip in a bit of their salaries to cover the cost.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Honestly, why can't they charge all the residents a nickel more on their property taxes to cover it? If a $900 expenditure (which is the cost of a few mayoral lunches) is too much for the city to bear, they should have just built a statue.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
Honestly, why can't they charge all the residents a nickel more on their property taxes to cover it? If a $900 expenditure (which is the cost of a few mayoral lunches) is too much for the city to bear, they should have just built a statue.

Maybe they should just install speed cameras that issue millions of traffic tickets around the city. It's working well for Maracopa county. They can keep the money rolling in and they don't have to cut back on spending.

new topics

top topics

join