It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Rays to threaten Astronauts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Researchers from the Swiss Federal Institue of Aquatic and Technology believe that the solar wind(atomic particles coming out from the sun) could falter in the early 2020s. Nasa plans to send astronauts back to the moon around this time. Earth's magnetic field protects from cosmic rays.However, in space cosmic rays could cause cancer and fertility loss.Tride to sum up the bases of the article as best I could.
----Any thoughts on this? Please reply. I just read about this on dailymail.co.uk. Here is the link------->www.dailymail.co.uk...
Hope your having a good day and I do hope to hear from you!
-MaTeO-

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's interesting that NASA would plan to send astronauts back to the moon at the same time as something like this is predicted to happen. Maybe they plan to have devised a protection system against cosmic rays by the year 2020. If that is even possible

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
More NASA excuses. It has been known for decades that a ship lined with a water layer, provides excellent radiaiton protection against solar radiations. Also with the knowledge of plasma fields, that can be used as extra shielding to the radiations.

When man was on the Moon, there was no magnetic field or shield to protect the astronauts as they walked around for hours at a time. The LEM and CM did not have any significant radiation shielding as they transversed between Earth and the Moon. When they were outside of the Van Allen belt, they were wide open to these radiations, for days and nothing happend to them.

Sometimes I think NASA seems to think that people cant remember history and the science done prior to the Moon shots that clearly debunk their current excuses to return to the Moon. They really need to think about that.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

i agree 100% with you here

this is just blatent poor excuses to buy more time

why would they lie?

*cough cough* Aliens *cough cough*

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

The way I understood it was that the solar wind from the sun protects from cosmic rays. The suns "solar wind cycle" is calculated to end right around when 2020s. So it seems that the astronauts will get hit increased cosmic rays. The way I understood it was that these rays will be drasticlly stronger than anything astrronauts have had to deal with in the past because the sun was able to protect from the cosmic rays. Here is the full article---->www.dailymail.co.uk...
Hope all is well and everyones havin a great weekend =) -MaTeO-

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MaTeO

The heliosphere is a magnetic bubble, similar to Earth's magnetosphere, which surrounds the sun (and the solar system). It is "inflated" by the solar wind. The solar wind has decreased in density and energy in the past ten years resulting in a decrease in the size of the heliosphere but how unsual this is, and what the effects may be are uncertain. It is not known how much protection the heliosphere provides from cosmic radiation but an increase in certain types of cosmic rays has been observed.
science.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join