It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme court to decide voting rights law challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Supreme court to decide voting rights law challenge

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court said on Friday it would consider a challenge to a central provision of the 44-year-old voting rights law aimed at preventing states and local governments from making it harder for minorities to vote.

Congress initially adopted the Voting Rights Act, an historic piece of U.S. civil rights legislation, in 1965. It overwhelmingly extended it in 2006 for 25 more years, with President George W. Bush signing it into law.

At issue is a provision at the heart of the law that requires states or local governments with histories of racial discrimination to get federal approval before making any changes in election procedures.

Nine states -- Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia -- and counties in several other states are covered by the provision at issue in the case, the Justice Department said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Making this Act malleable to whim changes is very suspect considering the volume of black and other minority voters that participated in the 2008 general election. With the history of election fraud, and minority disenfranchisement in the '00 '02 '04' and '06 elections that the media NEVER covered, this sets a very dangerous precedent. Making it easier for particular political parties to rig elections. We all know that minorities make up a large election bloc, and they typically don't go in the Republican direction, is it also coincidental that it was blacks and other minority groups that took the shaft in the 2000 election? Is it also coincidental that these were also democratic voters?

I don't tow party lines, they're all corrupt, and if the tables of voting blocs were turned it would be the Democrats that I'd be accusing of this sort of chicanery, as I believe they are all self serving in reality.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think after the whole Bush Gore extravaganza. It is becoming apparent that voting is a joke anyway. Personally I think they just all sit down in a room and play ro sham bo to decide who is going to be the next "elected" president.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

That probably isn't far from the truth. None the less, if this is allowed to continue elections in this country, whether fair or rigged, will eventually be erased from the American way of life.

These are interesting times indeed.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I would much rather they go ahead and admit that it is a monarchy and quit making fools out of the public who refuse to see that voting really doesn’t mater anymore. Yes the wonderful feds are going to keep enacting bills to make it easier to cover up the bs of the voting system. They realize that a lot of Americans are now learning that votes do not matter. Sometimes I really wish that asteroid would hurry up.

top topics

join