It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find New 'Runaway' Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

LONG BEACH, Calif. (Jan. 7) — A total of 14 young stars racing through clouds of gas like bullets, creating brilliant arrowhead structures and tails of glowing gas, have been revealed by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. They represent a new type of runaway stars, scientists say.

The discovery of the speedy stars by Hubble, announced here today at the 213th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, came as something of a shock to the astronomers who found them.

"We think we have found a new class of bright, high-velocity stellar interlopers," said study leader Raghvendra Sahai of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Finding these stars is a complete surprise because we were not looking for them. When I first saw the images, I said 'Wow. This is like a bullet speeding through the interstellar medium.'"

The arrowhead structures, or bow shocks, seen in front of the stars are formed when the stars' powerful stellar winds (streams of neutral or charged gas that flow from the stars) slam into the surrounding dense gas, like a speeding boat pushing through water on a lake.

Source

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Jan 7 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
check the source to see some pictures and more info.

I think this is a formation they need to watch carefully, It seems quite odd, so It would be a good idea to start building as much Information on this anomaly as possible.

I just hope it isnt Galactus!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

The pictures in the photo alblum of the Hubble-telescope were absolutely breath taking, "Thanks for sharing!!"
Never get sick of the beauty of teh Universes light show...

[edit on 083131p://4074 by Allred5923]

join