It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Religion An Outdated Concept?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've seen this statement quite a few times since my short time on here,and I was just wondering what people mean by it.

Do they mean all forms of faith,worship and spirituality?
Or do they just mean organized religion?

Personally I see organized religion,not religion itself as having a detrimental effect on society.My view is summed up perfectly in this article from the Rational Christianity site.(the same can be used to describe any organized religion,not just those of a Christian denomination)

...Organized religion is characterized by blind faith,irrational beliefs,power-grabs,greedy ministers,a lack of love and no personal respect...

Organized Religion is the institutionalization of something that wasn’t meant to be institutionalized.It was supposed to be personalized.It was an issue between man and God,with no mediator.Man is to obey the laws of the God of nature—natural law—before following the thoughts of the institution of Religion.

rationalchristianity.org...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I would venture to guess it's organized. Most people have more of an issue with the organization, not the spirituality

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes I would think its organize too. But I would also like to state that you cant outdate the truth. The truth live. The truth will always exist.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

DantestLost:

I think most are talking about orginized religion. I think there is a great family of Christians (followers of Christ or The Way) here on BTS. We all have gotten away from the main stream for one reason or another but never have we walked away from God or our faith.

Shalom,
Grandma

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
From the earliest societies to the modern day, organized religion was created as a means to control the populace. It was the foundation for society, where people looked to those who had the answers. So, the people capable of furnishing the answers created the rituals and doghmas that allowed them to seize power and maintain control.

As science began to furnish these answers, we saw the gradual change from religious rule to more secular rule...(in western society), with religion taking a back seat, but still exerting considerable influence...

It isn't just Christians, but any faith really... All have underlying tenets for establishing and maintaining control, i.e. you do this, or this will happen (typically going to a Hell-like place for some sin, etc.).

Just look at the story of Adam and Eve. They were forbidden to eat from the Tree of Knowledge (forget that Knowledge of Good and Evil crap, that was a later add on)... In other words, don't seek knowledge on your own, the truth only comes from the Church. It's a control tool.

Doesn't mean it doesn't have anything to offer. Organized religion comforts many...but that doesn't negate why it started, or the real reasons behind its creation.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

throughout time to contol the populace.

what evidence (for all the times) do youhave for this comment?

Its banded about with no real evidence given

cheers and all the best.

david

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost
Personally I see organized religion,not religion itself as having a detrimental effect on society.My view is summed up perfectly in this article from the Rational Christianity site.(the same can be used to describe any organized religion,not just those of a Christian denomination)

...Organized religion is characterized by blind faith,irrational beliefs,power-grabs,greedy ministers,a lack of love and no personal respect...

Couldn't agree more with that.
I also think spirituality and organised religion are two completely separate animals altogether.
I think attempting to be kind and treating people the same are the only things that are realy important,as for the rest of it - couldn't care less.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

what evidence (for all the times) do youhave for this comment?

Hmm...let's see...

The Egyptian's claim the ruler was a god incarnate, with society ruled by the clergy...

The claimed divinity of kings used all over Europe...

The utter domination of all aspects of life under Islam...

And pretty much any ancient culture ruled by theocracies....

It's like asking me for evidence the sky is blue...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Karl 12

I also think spirituality and organised religion are two completely separate animals altogether.

Without a doubt.

Spiritualist groups want to get closer to god(s) and nature,to have more understanding of the world around us.

Organized religions are quickly corrupted by those who lust after power,wealth and control.They want to dominate and dictate all walks off life.

That doesn't mean all followers behave in that manner,but they support a church that does.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

To me religion is being exposed for what it is: a counterfeit representation of Christ and or other deities from other eastern faiths.

God and all of heavenly congress are real. How they have been represented on earth via doctrine and dogma - are not. Many are awakening to truths that have been dismissed or covered over, and are now being revealed.

Yes, religion is very outdated but will continue to have its sheep until God closes the door and it proves to be false. The real road is a spiritual one and few are finding it.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Spirituality does not require the acceptance of an existing faith. I think more find spirituality than most think...they simply keep it as a personal thing....which to me, is how it should be.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Spirituality does not require the acceptance of an existing faith. I think more find spirituality than most think...they simply keep it as a personal thing....which to me, is how it should be.

If everything were kept to ourselves very little would be invented. Teachers are always needed even if for a moment.

Religion is a detriment IMO to developing spiritually as it inhibits growth and requires Borg mentality. There are too many rules to get passed which adds to the countless filters between us and the Gods.

In my experience, not too many are willing to go out on the limb and stand out; being really different. The religious stick to their groups, and the atheists stick to theirs.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

If everything were kept to ourselves very little would be invented. Teachers are always needed even if for a moment.

I didn't say "everything", I said spirituality. I should also clarify, that sharing such spirituality is a good thing, as long as it's done with the intent of knowledge and discussion, and not conversion.

I personally enjoy theological discussion, and find the topic interesting...it's spurred me to study many different religions, and I've had the good fortune to live in areas where different religions were dominant.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: to answer the OP's question and I quote it here "Do they mean all forms of faith,worship and spirituality?
Or do they just mean organized religion? "...Well personally would hazard a guess at organized religion and as to it being "an outdated concept", well that would depend on several subjective A PRIORI factors on my part being made transparent to my consciousness on which to base my evaluation. Only then can one answer that question to oneself and only after that can one try and impart that knowledge to others. Anyway I will still attempt to answer the Topic "Is Religion An Outdated Concept?" from these A PRIORI Global POV positions....

1) economically:- Ambiguous result of yes and no....yes because they don't contribute tax (except church of the subgenius) and no because they are often charitable outlets and organizations. This leads me to assess it as being
neutral in respect of the Topics question.

2) socially :- Ambiguous result of yes and no....yes because many religions have supported and endorsed violent intra and exo community holy purges and no because often in times of peace and conflict they act as rallying points for morale and comfort and usually act as conservative holders of moral and ethical dictates and as such are like a large public conscience concerning best practice for each individual circumstance that anyone may find themselves in. Again I assess it as neutral.

3) military :- result of No with a slight caveat...no because the military has often used religious fervor to boost morale and recruit numbers (caveat is religious consciencious objectors) and also uses religion to take care of the casualties and the dead.

4) government :- Ambiguous result of yes and no...no because many governments and politicians actually use religion to endorse their particular political enterprises and also themselves (just take the Vatican for one example) and yes because often a religious uprising/revolt has led to the overthrowing of governments and politicians. Assessed as neutral.

Thats all the basic demographics I can quickly assess in channel and in post and so now to the numbers game. Out of 4 POV assessments the total result was 3 neutral and 1 negative. So an overall neutral result with a slight bias towards not being an outdated concept.

Personal Disclosure: So Globally for all of us No its not outdated but Locally the bad sides of religion may be manifesting for individuals such as you or I (just as the good sides can and also a combination of the two) and as such we may perceive them as yes being personally detrimental to us and as such outdated! Please carefully vet my assessments and deny any ignorance I may have or am promoting as I'm very tired and don't fully trust myself to have not been misleading.

Edited to fix spelling.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I didn't say "everything", I said spirituality. I should also clarify, that sharing such spirituality is a good thing, as long as it's done with the intent of knowledge and discussion, and not conversion.

Yes, you and I agree.

Of course with spirituality there is NO conversion as long as one is not speaking from a religious base. Ie; Eastern etc.

I don't follow any Eastern or Western beliefs nor New Age which all can have conversion qualities.

I live in the land of "New Age" and don't have a fond liking for them! I see the other side.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Hello! Long time not see or hear!

I am not entirely sure if I understood what you said, but it could just be me! I have a headache this morning. So I may need to re-read your post.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I'd tend to agree with your sentiments there as well (although I'm not particularly a fan of any 'New age' opinion).
Out of all of them (and there are a lot) I think this is one of the most perceptive quotes I've heard about organised religion:

Nature wants us to enjoy life to the full and die without giving it a second thought;religion wants the opposite.
Sainte-Beuve,Les Cahiers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Out of all of them (and there are a lot) I think this is one of the most perceptive quotes I've heard about organised religion:

Nature wants us to enjoy life to the full and die without giving it a second thought;religion wants the opposite.
Sainte-Beuve,Les Cahiers.

Yes this is keeping it simple. I like that.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Karl 12.

I wouldn't call it New Age as its the oldest type of worship known to man.

We've just had organized religions around us for so long that we have forgotten it.

top topics

join