It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Patrolling the Forest?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is my first post here at ATS.

Over the Christmas holiday, my wife, as well as a lot of my family go camping at a very popular State Park in Central Florida. We've been doing this for years.

This past Christmas (a couple weeks ago) something strange took place. Now this wasn't the kind of strange thing that jumps right out at you, such as a bright light in the sky, or mutilated animals, but instead it was a wake up to me as to the state of the World.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and my wife left to go visit a family member that was in town. I stayed behind to be with my relatives. I took a short hike by myself at around 2:00 in the afternoon, down a small dirt road that I had seen earlier in the day. As I was walking, I got off the trail for a bit to investigate some survey markers that I had seen in the distance. They were NOAA Markers, which could be a conspiracy into itself....

As I started back towards the main dirt road I had been on, I heard the sound of an ATV heading my way. Now keep in mind that motorized vehicles, as well as bicycles are not allowed on these trails. To my surprise, it was a State Law Enforcement Officer! He had the classic black shades on, and he was riding a dark green ATV with a blue police light on it. When he caught site of me, he headed down the trail towards me. And as he passed, he looked at me as if I was a criminal or something. Now I'm a normal looking 28 year old white guy. Nothing suspicious about me (and I'm not saying that being a color other than white would be cause for concern either! I'm just explaining the details!). And as he got a little farther ahead, he looked over toward the NOAA makers, then turned around and passed me again.

Like I said, this may not have seemed like much to the average person, but it made me realize that we aren't safe from government entities even in the middle of the forest! I later found out that either the same officer, or one like him, had been harassing other people for simply picking a palmetto bush and sharpening the end (like you would do to roast marshmallows).

I would really like to know what everyone thinks about this sort of thing! I'm sorry for being so wordy, but I wanted to make sure everyone understands that I wasn't in the middle of the intercity or something. This was in the middle of a forest!

-CMMS

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chemtrailsmakemesneeze

That's kind of weird. Usually it would be forest rangers patrolling.
But at State parks, I don't think you're allowed to even pick a flower, legally.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
More than likely he was there to protect you from some of the nutjobs that frequent parks and wildlife areas. Hence the recent push to allow concealed carry in national parks.

Furthermore, he may have been looking for someone/suspect as well. Poachers love to hunt in parks and people love to plant marijuana in parks as well.

Several years ago while camping in the Andrew Jackson State Forest in NC my friends and I heard some loud rustling in the brush heading towards us while we were sitting around a small fire at night. Low and behold it was a park ranger clad in night time fatigues and wearing night vision goggles. I can assure you that he was patrolling for our safety and look for drug use I suppose. Anyway, he scared the snip out of us but he was quick to reassure us that all was well.

As for the NOAA markers. Perhaps they are staking out an area for a remote weather station.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
it may seem odd but really its typical imo

i am a bit confused as to why it wasnt a Ranger however, being that is their juristicion (spelling)

edit to add:

do state police have authority in national parks? isnt that federal land?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
it may seem odd but really its typical imo

i am a bit confused as to why it wasnt a Ranger however, being that is their juristicion (spelling)

edit to add:

do state police have authority in national parks? isnt that federal land?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

The recent, or 8 year old "Patriot Act", makes any and all land mass of the entire United States, jurisdiction for any and all law enforcement agencies. No longer is the limited jurisdiction restriction in exsistance.

This means a city cop has authority to be in the middle of nowhere, where normally a sheriff or a state cop would have jurisdiction. And vise versa.

This also applies to forrest rangers, coastal waters, anywhere within the US boarders.

Its all a part of the effort to break down the barriers that once seperated the agencies so that now they can exchange information to one another to help keep our country nice and fuzzy cozy warm safe.

Arent you glad someone is looking out for you?!!!

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 6-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We got rangers out looking for poachers, checking hunting licenses, watching for idiot kids and their beer soaked bon fires, etc... all the time.

We can hunt our faces off in state parks.

Also, depending on where you are there may be a gang of heavily armed Mexicans growing pot in the parks. It's a serious problem out West and a growing problem in the Appalachia.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

We have a lot of problems with growers and meth labs operating out of state parks in my neck of the woods. I doubt there was anything too sinister going on. Still, not something you really expect to see on a little nature hike. I probably would have tried to strike up a conversation with the guy. Nice first post.

I dont know why I responded to you thisguyrighthere

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Raustin]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

www.newsadvance.com...

400 pot plants seized in the woods.

I used to live in this area of Virginia back in the early 90's and I was always told not to wander off of the well marked trails in the area. Back then pot growing was a major industry in the area and booby trapped trails were not uncommon. Amazing to see that the growers are still at it.

Nelson county is home to town of Schuyler.

WALTON'S MOUNTAIN MUSEUM is located in the Piedmont Region foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Schuyler (Sky-ler), Virginia. Opened on October 16,1992, this building is Schuyler's ca.1931 High & Elementary School. "The Waltons" creator and John-Boy's alterego, Earl Hamner, grew up in the home across the street. WMM has attracted as many as 90,000 guests per year from all 50 states and 20 foreign countries!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
thats scary i love camping out in the woods, being harrassed by police would really ruin it. I've already spent far too much time emptying my pockets for rude police officers in town do i really need to start empying me bag and explaining myself every time i go hiking?

Last time i stopped my camper van in a carpark the police came and woke me up, just checking what was happening - we WERE sleeping, no i'm not part of green peace or PETA although yes i do have long hair, er- last night we went for a quiet walk by the river and chatted, no we don't have a tv in the van, oh i didn't realize there was a big football match last night, i suppose yes it is strange two english people weren't watching it - we do have some tea if that helps. No sorry i'm not trying to be sarcastic, i really do like tea. sorry i know you're just doing your job and thanks for doing your best to crack down on the thought criminals who think about things beside sport. oh, ok yes i suppose you can search me and run a check on me. -True story.

I still haven't decided who is to blame for the state of the police, or should i say 'police state' but it seems to be getting more and more crazy every day.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The booby traps are the worst. If there are other people around (pot growers) my dog will stay real close to me but if he doesnt figure anyone is around he'll wander and explore. I'd hate for him to get injured or killed by some damn fools booby trap.

Between eco-nuts assaulting hunters and druggies rigging trip wires it's no wonder carry in parks has been re-legalized.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
thats scary i love camping out in the woods, being harrassed by police would really ruin it. I've already spent far too much time emptying my pockets for rude police officers in town do i really need to start empying me bag and explaining myself every time i go hiking?

Last time i stopped my camper van in a carpark the police came and woke me up, just checking what was happening - we WERE sleeping, no i'm not part of green peace or PETA although yes i do have long hair, er- last night we went for a quiet walk by the river and chatted, no we don't have a tv in the van, oh i didn't realize there was a big football match last night, i suppose yes it is strange two english people weren't watching it - we do have some tea if that helps. No sorry i'm not trying to be sarcastic, i really do like tea. sorry i know you're just doing your job and thanks for doing your best to crack down on the thought criminals who think about things beside sport. oh, ok yes i suppose you can search me and run a check on me. -True story.

I still haven't decided who is to blame for the state of the police, or should i say 'police state' but it seems to be getting more and more crazy every day.

You might want to lay off of the special "tea" you've been drinking.
I've heard about that kind of "tea" before. You should be lucky that the cop didnt' take your "tea".

top topics

join