It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

other currency as bartering other then U.S. Dollar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Let me run this by everyone to see how it sounds.....I was in Greece at one time and the currency they use are drachmas. I went into a store in a small town to buy something cold to drink and a pack of smokes, anyway I reached into my pocket and all I had was a 5.00 dollar bill, I looked at the cashier and blushing, I shrugged my shoulders, the cashier reached for the 5.00 dollar bill and flipped it over as to inspect it, gave me the change back in drachmas. I was happy, and he was happy.

The cashier told me later that he could take that 5.00 dollars into Bulgaria and get more for it, of course at the time I didn't know what he meant.

When time comes when TSHTF, do you think it would be a good idea to get "other" currencies?, but in this day and age what would be a good currency other then gold and silver?.

and of course it would be before our economy tanks.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I don't think foreign currency will be worth much in the U.S. Ammunition on the other hand would imo be a great bartering tool.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Obviously being that our neighbors are Canada and Mexico, some Loonies and Pesos wouldn't hurt. Having a bank acct with some Euros or Yen wouldn't hurt, granted of course, you'll have to have access to those acct for it do you any good. Point is that you're going to have to travel to where you can use the other currency for it be of any good to you or convert it and get it back to you somehow.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
But wouldn't Ammo be a good reason to get hauled off if they catch you stock piling it. I would think there is a law on the books. not sure.

On the other hand, making your own ammo would be an edge and if you have to, trade it for food.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks for the reply, you do have a point. Perhaps a currency that has gold or silver already in them. I can see where the bordering states could use that that to their advantage.

I've been seeing alot of Canadian coins in circulation which I still can't figure it out, I mean, take four canadian Quarters for example, 1 dollar canadian is worth more then 1 dollar U.S., but people will accept it as payment here in the U.S.

The only downside to this is if Canada collapses with the U.S.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

Many big cities in the US have stores that accept Euros. Since all the currencies of the world are fiat, it is hard to state which one is the best. I would stick with assets (real estate, commodities, etc). If bartering became the norm, I don't see much use for even gold and silver as people would want food or a trade done in place of currency.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

When are you posting this, cause last time I checked the Canadian dollar was worth 85 cents in the U.S.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The problem with holding your assets in a foreign currency is of course that the exchange rate varies, and whilst it is possible for the cunning and knowledgeable to make a profit, it is also possible to make a substantial loss.

Gold and silver prices are set each day by a handful of men and the values are set to their agenda and not ours. If our domestic currency nosedives, then we are also worse off, and those people who pull the financial strings in the global economy will make themselves richer, but not us, Joe Public. The same is true of commodity prices which can fluctuate significantly.

I knew a British family who lived and worked in Spain and their earnings were at the time in Spanish Pesetas. They did their banking in Gibraltar, and had been advised to have their mortgage on their Spanish villa in Swiss Francs (CHF), as it was a very stable currency. Well the Peseta/Franc exchange rate actually became adverse and the family found out after the first two years of the mortgage, that they owed substantially more than when they first took it out.

Even experts can get it wrong, so be very careful with currency dealing.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
How about a postive spiritual polarity gift economy currency?

[edit on 13-1-2009 by open_hand]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I've just developed a currency called Zooloot that is set to change the whole picture. You can hold or exchange it into any currency but it's not money it's an exchange currency like barter. Go take a look. It's in beta at the moment so it's a good time to test it. It would help me also in getting great feedback.

www.zooloot.com...

top topics

join