It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Jupiter about to ignite?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

haha, i did infact make, it,
, wow, Just Kidding

basically it would be like throwing an IPOD into a bonfire. it might be cool for like a second. maybe some cool like sparkles, but thats about it.

but the general idea of us creating tech that COULD ONE DAY make it explode is alot more scary to me....

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The RTG's (radiostope thermonuclear generators) as also used on Pioneer 10,11, Voyager 1 and 2, Galileo, and Cassini...upon being crushed or burning up in atmosphere, would NOT blow up...thie is no detonator, therfore it cannot cause a linked chain reaction... U 238 an atom pops, and escalates in a chain reaction very rapidly..casuing an explosion..
In the atmospheres, the case holdings of the RTG's would simply crinkle like a soda can being stepped on, then burn up as if they never existed.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm less than an amateur as Astronomy goes so would appreciate some enlightenment on the subject but this rumour seems beyond ridiculous to me.

First off - igniting Jupiter? That's a big planet so is that even doable? Even if you sent all of Earth's nuclear arsenal at it? Actually... would Jupiter ignite even if we threw Earth at it?

Secondly - so lets assume we manage to ignite Jupiter... a planet on fire isn't a star. A planet on fire is something like Mercury I'd suspect? No?

[edit on 5-1-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
the smallest a star can be, is 75 times jupiter's mass.
good article on brown dwarfs...

www.physorg.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Correct,Jupiter is mostly hydrogen. Even though its mas is great if you had a big enough bathtub & droped jupiter in it it would float unlike the inner planets which are basicly rocks. Besides why would they need Jupiter, Nemesiss is on its way.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I say lets Blow it up for fun!!!!

Cmon we need something to do.. we blow stuff up all the time why not a planet LOL

sorry just had to say that xD

2nd sun and all that is just wel.. i dunno aint gunna happen with nukes

The comets that wacked into it left marks BIGGER than the earth what makes you think our little nukes are going to do anything?

It has no mass anyways I mean Matter its GAS if you set it on fire it would just go POOOF! and no more juppy

Would be a nice effec to watch tho lol!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join