It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeware chips in new pc's, coming soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I didn't see this anywhere by searching so I decided to post the topic.

I read about a proposal currently in congress to install a policeware chip in all new pc's (and all home entertainment devices) to restrict your use of all copyrighted material. Sounds like you wouldn't even be able to burn or rip music off a cd that you bought etc. etc. if this chip proposal takes place. I'm not sure of this but it sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Get caught trying to remove the chip and you face up to 5 years in federal prison and/or $500,000. This is what some of our congressman are trying to get approved now. I strongly oppose this idea. I thought there was something called the consumer rights law. Link to where I first read about this.
spyware.surferbeware.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just another way to control and to keep profits flowing.

I swear, this country is #ed for two main reasons. Money and control. Everything is about control or business nowadays and it's sickening...

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Thorfinn Skullsplitter]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Dang, I hope this doesn't come to pass. It's at times like these that I'm glad I can make my own computer...Unless, of course, they put it into the processor...Can't make one of those

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As long as your copying for personal use only and don't plan on making a profit you should be left alone. This proposed bill is a joke I can't believe it will pass.

But since it is about power and greed, it probably will, unless you contact your congressman/senator and tell them NO!

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Star Eagle
As long as your copying for personal use only and don't plan on making a profit you should be left alone. This proposed bill is a joke I can't believe it will pass.

But since it is about power and greed, it probably will, unless you contact your congressman/senator and tell them NO!

Ant that 12 year old girl the music industry went after? Was she selling or trying to make a profit off of the music she downloaded?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   

From Article:
Since alternative operating systems like Linux and FreeBSD would most likely refuse to incorporate government policeware into their code, users of these open-source systems would also be eligible for hard time.

Yah, right!!! That has to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard in my life. Has Microsoft recently purchased America or something??

Tampering or Removing the chip & Open source software would result in Fines or Jail according to this article. This makes me wonder just how they plan on enforcing such a law. Obviously there would be no way of knowing what I'm copying or what software I'm using if I was to do it on a 'Stand Alone' machine. (Even one that is online would be extremely difficult.) So I suppose included with this new 'Anti-Piracy Law' they will also need to pass a law so that the 'Piracy Police' can randomly enter your home and inspect your Electronic Equipment too??? Oh ya, that will happen?!?!

So can anyone honestly, and with a straight face, still claim that America is NOT Corperate America? Cause I'd love to see them try.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Somehow I doubt this. I have been very aware on the topic of filesharing laws for several years, and i have heard nothing of this as of yet. Additionally, this does not make any sense in a current legal context. The RIAA has done a good job of confusing the public, and it shows here in the forum. The RIAA would have you believe downloading music through Kazaa and the like is illegal. However, this is absolutely not true. Nowhere in the world is it illegal to download music in any form. Nor is it illegal to upload music. However, this is what people may be sued for in the court of law for copy-right infringement. Note: NO ONE has been prosecuted for filesharing, as much as the RIAA and Pepsi/iTunes commercials would like you to think. The private usage (ie you dont distribute it and you dont profit from it) of copyrighted material does not fall under copyright infringement, even if it was not payed for. Additionally, this technology would be an infringement upon people's rights to create back-ups of data that does not have pre-defined (before the purchase of the data) limits as to number of times a file can be copied. However, a bill is being pushed by the RIAA among others in congress that would make it a prosecutable offense, at which point "police chips" could maybe sorta kinda be a possibility.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by spngsambigpants]

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by spngsambigpants]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm one of the confused people here. Please explain about why filesharing is not illegal? I honestly don't understand.

I thought the sharing, uploading and/or downloading via P2P of copyrighted material is a breach of the copyright law. Is that incorrect?

If so, then what specifically are people being prosecuted for? I don't get it.

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
File sharing is not illegal in terms of being able to be prosecuted by the government. That is simply the way it is. I think the idea is that copyright infringement is the problem of the holders of the copyright, and that copyright infringement is something to be settled in civil court (ie through lawsuits). Additionally, personal use of copyrighted material that is obtained without paying for it itechnicalyl falls under copyright infringement, but there is no way anyone is ever going to catch you, or relally bother with trying to sue you. However, when you distribute copyrighted materials (such as uploading files on Kazaa) they CAN catch you, and are much more likely to sue you. No one is ever prosecuted, as the cases are all civil. Additionally all of the RIAA cases against filesharers have not gone to court. They were all settled out of court.

top topics

join