It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon the False religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Former LDS President and Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith once said of his namesake, “He was either a prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds the world has ever seen, there is no middle ground.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:188). There have been some stories in the news recently about Mormon scholars who have been excommunicated for research papers that showed that the Book of Mormon is more fiction than fact. But rather than present those news articles, let’s examine some of the problems with the Book of Mormon.

contenderministries.org...

As with so many religions of this end time this too is fake.......

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Hi Helio, I live in Rexburg, Idaho. Mormons account for 90 percent of the population. I have many friends at work that are Mormon. Good and honest people who sometimes are more Christian than the Christians who attack them. I have studied scripture with them and everytime I bring up an argument against them they have a retort. I wish there was an easy way to change their minds, but there isn't. I do respect their right to their belief, although I do not respect their beliefs. I feel it is blasphemy to say that God was a man at one time. So we basically treat each other like bees... we just leave each other alone so we don't get stung by one another. If I am correct and their religion is wrong it so saddens my heart because there are so many good mormons out there. My two best friends out here neither smoke, drink, or swear. They are also very intelligent people and I guess that is what bothers me the most..but I can understand their reluctance to listen to me because they have been brought up this way since birth. Kinda hard to say no to something that you have always been taught was right.
I will say this however... if Joseph Smith is lying I am sure God will have a nice spot reserved in hell for him for misleading so many. If I am wrong...its ok because I will still go to one of the three tiers of heaven (their belief) because I believe in Christ. So I guess I am good either way.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Alienmojo]

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Alienmojo]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Of course it is fiction...

But this says it all:

Of all the cults out there, why choose this one..? I mean, who wants to go on a "Mission" where 99% of the people you interact with slam their door on you..?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
News Flash!! All religions are most likely "false"!!

The reason Mormons get more crap is because of their secretiveness, they actually live closest to Jesus' principles than any other Christian religion. That is a fact not an assumption. But they are just as lost as anyone of us, and anyone who claims to "know" what is right, simply has not had enough life experience to have an opinion.

My mind is open and it changes relative beliefs weekly if not daily due to the sheer amount of information on spirituality that there is in this world, or lack of it.

So stop the I am right you are wrong routine and search through and find all the knowledge our history and world has to offer. It will bring you to your knees, and not in prayer either.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosis111
News Flash!! All religions are most likely "false"!!

The reason Mormons get more crap is because of their secretiveness, they actually live closest to Jesus' principles than any other Christian religion. That is a fact not an assumption. But they are just as lost as anyone of us, and anyone who claims to "know" what is right, simply has not had enough life experience to have an opinion.

My mind is open and it changes relative beliefs weekly if not daily due to the sheer amount of information on spirituality that there is in this world, or lack of it.

So stop the I am right you are wrong routine and search through and find all the knowledge our history and world has to offer. It will bring you to your knees, and not in prayer either.

blam thats a bingo if i ever saw one. Well put. You must first remove te log from your own eye before you can see the plank in your brothers.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
There does seem to be some Masonic symbolism in the Mormon Temple (Joseph Smith, Jr was a Mason). But the gist of the OP is correct; either he was a bonafide prophet of God or a fraud (faux prophet). Most are intelligent (Ken Jennings who won all of that money on Jeopardy is a Mormon), most are very pious (sometimes a little "holier than thou" tho), and all believe that they have the Fullness of the Gosphel (whereas the traditional Christian Gosphel is incomplete). To wit that Jesus did appear and preach in the Americas. Is that so hard to believe (after his crucifixion)? Supposedly the Gold Plates will be rediscovered in these "Latter Days" and prove that it is all True. Are we not entering such a time period, ie, the "latter days"? Mormons have long been persecuted and you have to admire their faith through that. Personally, I think that Mitt Romney, a Mormon, was the best man for the job of POTUS.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The Mormon religion was a hoax created by Joseph Smith and his friends so they could have sex with lots of women, including children.

This is a fact of history, not an attack. Just do some basic research.

John

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
interesting topic but gnosis111 says it better than anyone in his post.

And jratcliff63367 if your going to claim a fact, at least make it a fact. I mean your claim has plenty of historical facts that surround it, for instance it is a fact that polygamy was practiced. But the listed motive is completely opinionated, you really think Joseph Smith went through all that trouble just to get laid? face the facts. The religion started in the early 1800's and last i checked has 12 million or so members. Pretty good expansion considering they had to leave and go to Utah because of mobs.

all i'm saying is anyone thinking one religion is right and all others wrong is someone being an idiot. In my opinion all religion has some truth to it and none have all of it. and I don't buy that discrediting the book of mormon crap either, in a several hundred page book, your going to find contradictions when you look hard enough. You can find plenty of contradictions in the bible or any other religious text but does that mean there's no truth in it?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
So you mean ex convict Smith did not find gold tablets in a field with angelic writing on them, put them in a hat and translate them to his friend (twice) who wrote it all down (twice - 2 different versions) which became the Book of Mormon?

Geeeez, next thing you will be saying is that Mormon underwear in not necessary and not fashionable??? Yeah right...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
What religion comes down to in the end is, which path makes you most at ease with the life you are given.

There is no reason or right for me to judge a person because of their religion. (Not including the actions they take and blame on their religion).

I am not a religious person and I follow no single faith but I do admire a person who has the strength to remain committed to an ideal that makes sense to them and makes them totally happy and at peace with the world around them, and I admire lots of different values from a wide range of religions.

I have also seen a lot of good come from religion, such as aid groups and charitable and selfless acts.

I do not like individual religious persons who spread hatred and persecute followers of other religions, and I do not like individual religious persons who force faith on others, or take advantage of their religious position. But these points also relate to non-religious individuals.

So what! if I don't agree with some of the ideals, it gives me no right to argue or condemn another.

So I have to let the Mormons live as they like. I do not have to agree with everything they believe in, or any other religious faith, and I will not tell them they are wrong either.

If a religion is right for one it is not necessarily right for another.

As far as the criminal intent behind some of these religions go, yes, we can throw away the key, and hope we can give fresh hope to anyone hurt along the way.

Those who believe in a religion that is false will find out in the end, even if they don't, they will have lived their own life the way that makes them happy,as long as they are given the choice, they are free. and surely that is all that really matters?

Regards S_G

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

anyone who claims to "know" what is right, simply has not had enough life experience to have an opinion.

saying that is just the new posh way of saying im right and your wrong lol

its got that intellectual flair with that dash of absurdity that makes the whole statement so cool.

but essentially you are still rehashing the same thing. your still telling people who believe in something that they are wrong for believing.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

Actually, that is not what is being said at all, it is just the way you interpreted it. I believe that NO ONE has the right to say they "know" the truth, the way, the answer. And by saying "one has not had the life experience to know such things" is because it is impossible for any of us to gain such knowledge in one life time. The amount of information or lack thereof is too staggering for that to be accomplished. Only in death, and possibly not even then.

In my long and grand 29 years (sarcasm) I have learned quite a bit, more than some, less than some. But I never claim to know it all and have THE answer. But I will continue to learn and change my mind, and in this....yes.... I do feel a bit exalted.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

Well to be fair, the reason Mormonism gets more crap is because some of its tenets are just scientifically, provably, untrue. Like the assertion that the Jews are the ones who populated the Americas. We can test that, and it simply isnt true.

And, the guy literally pulled it out of a hat.

I am sure Mormons are by and large very nice people. The ones I know are. But the religion is one of the silliest of the "mainstream" religions going in terms of storyline.

Just an opinion. I tend to go with the latter assertion about Smith. I think he was a total con man.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Actually, that is not what is being said at all, it is just the way you interpreted it. I believe that NO ONE has the right to say they "know" the truth, the way, the answer.

I have to side with Miriam on this one, so it isnt only her opinion. It certainly was a "kinder, gentler" version of "I am right and you are wrong."

Not that there is anything wrong with thinking you are right and the other is wrong during an argument. (As long as one is open to information to the contrary presented during said argument.)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Ok, I suppose I am saying I am right.....
By saying I am not right.....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Yeah I agree with this too. But I suppose when you choose to live like Christ or any other spiritual leader than the story shouldn't matter, just the actions.

Ah hell, what do I know what Christ was like and what do I care? The texts are too old to be an accurate depiction anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Well, for me the problem with Mormonism and all the religions from the middle east or derived from the middle east is that THEY care very much about the story line. So much so that they happily kill each other and other people over small variations of it. So in that sense I do not think the story lines are harmless.

And, those story lines continue to impact people even among the so far non-war waging Mormons. I mean women. Any religious story line that has at its core an assumption that half the worlds people are less than the other half, I have a problem with. I dont think that is harmless. And, I do not think that that is what Christ or other truly inspired spiritual leaders intended, so in that case, I disagree that Mormons are factually living closest to the way Christ intended.

And the fact that women who are indoctrinated from birth to accept these ideas will argue that they are not being treated unfairly is not persuasive to me. I have eyes, and I can see for myself what these religions have done to hold women back from achieving their HUMAN potential both historically and presently.

So, I would say that story lines DO matter. Why do we need them at all? Christ himself said that we were to follow the law, the commandments, not the priests, and that the Holy Spirit would guide us from within. Which it does if you are not too busy listening to human voices. The core message of the worlds spiritual traditions are not dissimilar when stripped of the cultural and mythological trappings. The problem is that most followers of religions pay more mind to the trappings than the core message. Which, again in my opinion, creates a problem.

Just my two cents.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Actually, that is not what is being said at all, it is just the way you interpreted it. I believe that NO ONE has the right to say they "know" the truth, the way, the answer. And by saying "one has not had the life experience to know such things" is because it is impossible for any of us to gain such knowledge in one life time. The amount of information or lack thereof is too staggering for that to be accomplished. Only in death, and possibly not even then.

In my long and grand 29 years (sarcasm) I have learned quite a bit, more than some, less than some. But I never claim to know it all and have THE answer. But I will continue to learn and change my mind, and in this....yes.... I do feel a bit exalted.

that doesnt make sense to me, sorry.

its like watching 2 people argue on a set of train track as to whether a train is coming or not, and you come along and tell them there is no way to find the answer. despite evidence, and despite the fact that not all humans are dolts.

on top of that your reasoning assumes that god doesnt care about us at all because then we wouldnt provide us with anything to get to know him. which means all sacred texts are man made. that is a BIG assumption. logically if god wanted us to able to find him, it wouldnt be ¨impossible¨.

you also putting a definite answer to question ¨can man find god?¨ which not only are you saying its impossible for you, but your also saying its impossible for everyone else. in so many words your saying that the conclusions ive come to in my life are wrong because i cannot possible know the answer.

im not attacking you
, just ive seen reasoning like your quite a bit recently and it doesnt make sense to me.

its like a student in a class room who is unable to calculate a problem on the blackboard, and instead of asking for help to solve it he comes to the conclusion that its an impossible problem and there is not point in trying. can that student really say that for the other students? its kind of arrogant to say that to noone else can solve it because he cant.

(im not calling you arrogant, but your statement hints at it even if you dont realize it)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You can not say that the book of mormon is more fiction than fact without saying that about the bible. If anything it is more factual because we can PROVE the source of the book of mormon. if he was a prophet or not is a question of faith but can anyone back up the claims made by the bible? Remember the New testament was no different you had a book that people accepted as fact then a new prophet comes along and a new book was written. But the huge difference here is that the prophet wrote the book himself where as the new and old testaments are not written by prophets and some of the books have unknown authors so.... If you take away the old and new testament you cant prove that the prophets existed. If you take the book of mormon away you can still prove that Joseph Smith was a real person.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by YoungStalin

Excellent summation! And that is exactly my view.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join