It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ways to make money while living off grid/own land...?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Im just wondering, what are some techniques/methods to make a little extra cash when one is living on one's own 40-60 acre plot somewhere out in the wilderness 30-50 miles away from any small towns, nearest neighbor a mile away.

????
I figure raising goats, sheep, chickens, eggs, selling some of this, honey maybe.

Anyone have experience in these areas or in other methods not mentioned?

Ideally one would make extra side money to stock up of canned goods, bullets, wool socks, etc all in preparation for SITX.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If you have a wooded section on your land you could always start up or lease some land to a survival school or start up a paint ball range or something.
If you have a lake you could sell fishing rights

Other wise farming is the only option, but also looking into canning.
That way you could always stockpile your own food and save money that way too.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
not from experience, but if you have any talent, hobby, craft, something in which you can produce something and perhaps sell at flea market or roadside might earn some extra cash. Think woodworking, metal crafts, needle crafts, recycle jun k into "artwork"... that sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This is the way I've been thinking as well. For example, my son is pursuing computer and physics (taking time out to make money right now) and I can't blame him because he had grades in the 90s in science throughout school and now for his first year. Jobs that rely on technology aren't the kind needed though.
Since I have boys, and they aren't all convinced the world won't be there to support their dreams, I keep thinking of the kinds of activities, and I'm not physically healthy enough for these on my own, but to sort of groom for them.
I think blacksmithing, construction, building tools, recycling and creating small energy devices, solar ovens, green housing, different skills skills and collecting as many hand tools as possibly for the jobs. Kiln work. I'm into spinning and weaving so small effective tools. Mechanics, mods for conversions for vehicles.
My father told me the most effective fuel when there isn't gas stations is to do a mod on your vehicle and distill debris in the forests to make alcohol. Kind of real hands on skills.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by mystiq]

[edit on 1-1-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I work in tech and even with things slowing down for everyone else I am staying steady. But I do have this urge to just get away from it all and focus on a nice simple happy life.

So I also have been thinking how could I provide if that was the case.

There are alot of veg/fruit stands around here that stay pretty busy but of course that goes back to the farming part of it. What would you do during winter?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well, living off the grid does not mean off the net perse-

If you have your own power generator you can run a computer and can connect to the internet via wifi or satellite.

Then you could write an e-book on how you got off the grid and sell it through your website using your PayPal account. Then you could make a newsletter for survivalists with a small subscription fee.

More?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine
Well, living off the grid does not mean off the net perse-

If you have your own power generator you can run a computer and can connect to the internet via wifi or satellite.

Then you could write an e-book on how you got off the grid and sell it through your website using your PayPal account. Then you could make a newsletter for survivalists with a small subscription fee.

More?

would you consider "living off the grid" to be using banks/accounts? Just curious because I agree there are many ways through the net to make money. Just getting the money in hand may be an issue.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ok this method will make you a LOT of money !!!!!

In your entire open space, depending on climate and stuff... Find out when is best where you live, and plant yourself as MUCH Papaver Somniferum as you can.

Now, this is totally legal....

You will wait until the flowers dry out, and then sell ALL of the pods on ebay, or even your own online store. You can make a trip weekly into town to send your orders out through the postal service. But, you will be selling these floral pods. People will pay a LOT for these, and being as you can grow massive amounts of them... This is what I would do.

EDIT to add:
Seriously, the seeds are cheap as can be... And your own flowers will produce many many more each year to sustain your own population, plus enough to sell your own extra seeds.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cplouffe

would you consider "living off the grid" to be using banks/accounts? Just curious because I agree there are many ways through the net to make money. Just getting the money in hand may be an issue.

You got me there.......

Not impossible, but to get the money in hand you would have to create a L.L.C. and link a bank account with a numbered ATM card. So yeah, you would need to get back to civilization to get money from the account, basically spoiling the off the grid theme.

Maybe not needing money anymore (bankers worst nightmare) choosing to go completely off the grid would be the way to go, whereby you would grow your own vegetables, grain, fruit and live stock with water from a rain deposit or well. Wind and solar for power generation.

Sounds like Walhalla to me, but lotta work though. (Hi Ho... Hi Ho...)

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Somehow I dont think growing opium poppys would keep someone off the grid long. May be legit to grow them but I would have no clue on that fact and what a hassle it would bring about.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SleeplessInUS

LOL Unless they can prove you're not actually a flower enthusiast, they got nothing on ya.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think I'll just be hooking myself out, everybody wins!

In all seriousness basic skills like mechanic, gunsmith, sewing, pottery are probably going to be the best bet. I would recommend learning how to grow your own food and hunt.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

yes def sounds like hard work. Just have to find others who would barter their goods if going totally off grid.

LostNemesis- how about some salvia as well?

Raustin- hooking def sounds interesting

[edit on 1-1-2009 by cplouffe]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cplouffe
I work in tech and even with things slowing down for everyone else I am staying steady. But I do have this urge to just get away from it all and focus on a nice simple happy life.

So I also have been thinking how could I provide if that was the case.

There are alot of veg/fruit stands around here that stay pretty busy but of course that goes back to the farming part of it. What would you do during winter?

Technology will continue no matter what, unless something significant happens.
Thats probably what I'm thinking of. Farming equates to mail order, crafting and other things.

Yes, I forgot to add sewing and gunsmithing to the list. But the kiln work, also natural dyes, and textiles will be important.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Well if you have some money lying around look into drilling holes in your land and if you lucky you might come across oil. Just start digging and see if you hit the jackpot, then you would have a load of money. Or you could just start a farm. Seriously though since you have the land, search for that black gold.

[edit on -06002009-01-01T20:35:33-06:00312009bAmerica/ChicagoThu, 01 Jan 2009 20:35:33 -0600, 1 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I do not have any hands on experience (yet) but I can share the avenues that the wife and I are currently exploring since buying a retired dairy farm.

We are researching the following options:

Catfish Farm - sell live to local residents and restaurants (More research required here as we are in the Midwest with very cold winters - big issue, product survivability) I am not aware of regulatory (at this point in time) requirements.

Meat Goats - I know there are local/state AG requirements but I do know that off grid sales would be feasible through various ethnicities by word of mouth for good healthy product.

Milk Goats - milk, soap, cheese, ice cream, yogurt - Aside from milk, cheese, ice cream, and yogurt sales in which local/state AG requirements apply - this could be a great cottage industry as far as soaps in different aromas, sizes and shapes. Could be sold in hand made (small) baskets, ect.

Llama or El Paca - hair fiber spun and then woven into products (a lot of work) but I believe no local/state AG requirements apply.

Pumpkins - Have done this but barely covered cost.

Grapes - Planted three varieties three years ago. Had our fist grape yield this past year. Grapes can be sold as is. Another option WINE, but here again local/state regs would apply.

These are just a few options we are exploring that I wanted to share. On the financial end, I have put pencil to paper and the profits would be marginal off grid.

In my humble opinion, once you get to a size where you are producing enough product to turn a decent profit, you are no longer off the grid. Liability insurance or LLC filing would be required and would put you on the grid - REMEMBER - DON'T SACRIFICE THE FARM

[edit on 1/1/2009 by beenhereb4]

[edit on 1/2/2009 by beenhereb4]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I breed reptiles. Easily pays for my home and toys. If your out in the country you dont have to worry about city pet laws just state and they are not as tough on exotic pets. The exitic pet trade is massive and lucrative but make sure you dont do anything illegal or they will find you.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
A wood lathe and other wood working tools could be used to make furniture.

Would you be able to make money in a rural community from a metal lathe, mill, and the knowledge to use them ?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I once spoke to a wise old farmer about owning a small holding and making money from it and he said this:-

''The owners of 'hobby farms' who try to earn a living from it, usually fail. The owners of 'hobby farms' that treat it as a hobby, usually make some money at it''.

I think he is probably right.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The worst part of this whole thing is if it werent for the horrible cruel and oppressive notion of property tax there would be no need to produce an income. Only a need to produce for your own consumption.

We're all sharecroppers no matter how free we perceive we are.

Keep in mind whether you plan on a crop, livestock, or craft type income no year is exactly alike and you could be rolling in excess cash one November and up on the roof with a rifle ready to shoot the tax man the next.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join