It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombs kill 5, wound 26 in India's Assam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Bombs kill 5, wound 26 in India's Assam

www.reuters.com

GUWAHATI, India, Jan 1 (Reuters) - At least five people were killed and 26 wounded when suspected separatist militants set off three bombs in the main city of India's troubled northeastern Assam state on Thursday, police said.

The first bomb was found in a dustbin in a heavily populated residential area of Guwahati, but went off at around 1.45 pm (0815 GMT) before a disposal squad could defuse it, police said.

Two other improvised explosive devices planted on bicycles exploded in the late afternoon, one of them near a crowded shopping mall, the other at a street market, police said.

"I saw two men come and park the bicycle here, and then they rushed away from the place," said a young woman who gave her name only as "Begum", who had been at the market.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Police pointed a finger at the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), the major separatist group in the oil- and tea-rich state often blamed for attacks. They said they had identified the suspects after receiving specific intelligence information.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I had tried to post the RSOE hit that showed the attack earlier but it didnt go in for some reason. that was listed here
hisz.rsoe.hu...

I also noticed that the reuters story had been updated to bring up the number of injured and more info becoming available. I was worried that it might be a banned pak group trying to stir up more trouble. But it appears that its a known group in the area although they havent taken credit.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join