It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is China still considered a Third World Country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I want to know if China is still considered or should be considered a Third World Country. I personally feel that China wants their cake and eat it too. China on one hand wants to be a World Power and considered as such but when it comes to meeting the obligations of a non Third World Country they say hey we are only a developing Third World Country.

Why is China still receiving aid from the developed countries?

They are receiving almost 3 billion a year? I thought China had one of the highest GDP's on the planet.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well, most of the people in China are still living in a Third World country. The industrialized class is just a small part of the total population, most of the country is still Third World. The greater part of the population lives in an agrarian Third World nation.

Same thing with India. I won't google for statistics right now, but I believe that the part of the population with something close to a western lifestyle is very small in both countries, maybe a lot less than 25%?

Basically I somehow feel that the unstable democracy of India makes it a more stable country in the long run... Rather than totalitarian China which will fall apart if those masses on the countryside start to demand their piece of the cake.

I have visited both countries a few years ago. In India the poverty is a lot more visible than in Africa! In China though they don't let beggars into the cities so the poverty is not visible at all.

So, to answer your question shortly, yes I think China is a Third World country, and some day the # might hit the fan when the differences between the industrialized coast and the rural masses starts to cause riots.

Or maybe China will just continue to grow and become a real superpower. Nobody knows.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by ukuli]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well, most of the people in China are still living in a Third World country. The industrialized class is just a small part of the total population, most of the country is still Third World. The greater part of the population lives in an agrarian Third World nation.

You could aplly that to the United States also.There are alot of people holding 3 jobs, alot of people with no homes and so on.

This analogy is just an invention, same for Europe where Eastern europians that joined the EU were invited to join Europe and be part of Europe tho they were already living in Europe since East Europe is and always was Europe.Same go's for the third world, Chiniese living in China, it does not matter how rich or how advanced they are, they would still be a third world until they embrace western culture and habits.That would change the CIA fact book on Cina for for sure also.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by pepsi78]

join