It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous and Private phone calls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I had one 2 days ago, I had 2 yesterday.

I heard it's something like a network error or something but I dunno, it is happening more frequently.

is it anything I should worry about?

this was on my cell phone btw.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sometimes I get those and they are from telemarketers or collection agencies trying to mask their numbers.

Sometimes I would pick up and nobody was there and then sometimes someone would answer after a minute and try to sell me satellite television or something.

I don't answer 'anon' or 'private' calls anymore.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yes the simple solution is... if you don't know who is calling, do not answer.

I am unable to write a second line at this time... leave a msg at the beep.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Yep, if they're a decent person or a company that you would want to do business with they'll at least leave a message so you can screen out those who wish to remain anonymous for nefarious reasons. If they don't leave a message then they're not worth giving your time to.

[edit on 30-12-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Usually, anonymous or blocked calls are from telemarketers (despite this practice being illegal in many areas); personal harrassment is possible and obviously worrisome, but that would be a far less likely explanation. As has been stated already, it is best not to answer blocked or anonymous phone calls. If someone has legitimate and benign cause to call you, they shouldn't feel the need to block the number (though on rare occasions, numbers are blocked automatically without the caller's knowledge).

If you don't have an answering service already, it might be a good idea to acquire one. If the calls continue, they can at least leave a message explaining their intent.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
In the last couple weeks I've been getting a call from "Unknown" at just about the same time every day. I have yet to pick it up and they have yet to leave a message. No clue who it is - the telemarketers usually leave a voicemail.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Just go to Google (or Yahoo if you hate Google) and type in the number. I have gotten many anon calls over the past couple of months and I never answer them. People call me and don't leave a message or their phone number wont come up on caller ID. Everytime I get a call I dont recognize I google it and it usually tells me everything I need to know.

There are websites where people leave comments about mysterious calls and it is always good to read them.

Some websites are..

www.callferret.com...

whocallsme.com...

whocalled.us...

Like what the previous posted said, if you dont recognize the number don't answer it. Times are getting tough and the phone scams will start to go on the rise.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

I think he meant the number doesn't show up on the caller ID.

Sometimes my caller ID says "Private" or "Not Available" and I usually don't answer those.

Thank you for the links though. I didn't know there was a lookup like that so it will be nice to use!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

I guess I should have edited it better before posting. The first part was for everbody in general who recieves a call they dont recognise.

The "dont answer it if you dont know it" part was for the OP.

sorry.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You can choose to have a private phone number, which just means that it won't show up on caller ids. You can also choose to not accept private callers if you have caller id. I know because I have a private number.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If you don't want your phone number listed in directory searches, it will show as private. I answer private because alot of my friends have that.

I don't answer "unknown" or "long distance". Ususally they're telemarketers. Sometimes though long distance is revenue canada.

I keep getting calls from Illinois. A guy asks who's in charge of elelctric drillng devices or whatever it was. I said nothing like that here, but he keeps calling.

Also keep getting calls from maryland, maine and new york who ask for my husband then hang up real quick. I get calls a few times a year from Cheyenne, but never answered them to know what it was about.

The strangest thing I ever had happn with my phone: I had been arguing with my 17 yr old kid. We had a phone downstairs that was laying on the floor. During this argument the phone fell off the hook as one of us walked past it. So I left it lke that thinking it's best we don't answer any calls right now anyways. Ok now to back track to what happened before the sudden argument ( I don't know why we were suddenly fighting). I had made a call to Budd Hopkins in New York and we chatted for quite some time. If you know who he is you will know he's a ufologist.

Back to the argument, my kid stormed off and walked over to a freinds house a few blocks away. Within minutes police showed up at my door and asked to enter. Two came in, one sat down on the sofa with me, while the other marched like a maniac searching my house. I could hear him slamming doors, thumping his boots around. I asked the nicer cop who called them, because I was puzzled as to why they came. His reply in the calmest manner "we were listening to your phonecall. We heard it all. We know everything you said". The only call I'd made was to hopkins, and so I was bit freaked. I said 'what phonecall would this be?". He then said "We heard you arguing". so now it wasn't an actual call, but them eavesdropping. He said the phone company called him to investigate what they heard while the phone was off the hook. I said do you mean to tell me that when someone leaves their phone of the hook they listen in? He said yes. And that they have time to do this and determine a normal family arguing is a reason to send police and you can be this fast at coming here? I found that to be a bit far-fetched. The next day I called the telephone company to ask if they do this, and she said absolutely not, that they don't eavesdrop on open lines. She thought I was a loon for even asking, but I assured her these cops said this was what happened and I wanted to check if it was true and that I also didn't think this happens. So somebody is lying here. It was so strange, the one cop who did the search was very stern and intimidating, while the other one was quite calm. I wish I'd called the police back to see if there was a log of their visit.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Check this out....

I have had the same cell phone number for a LONG time. In that time, at least 2 or 3 times a year, I'll get international calls with people speaking different languages.

I've gotten spanish (definitely), Russian or some other slavic language, and at least one Eastern/Southeastern Asian language. I think once it was arabic.

Very weird.

Compare that with my other phone number (land line) which I had for over 20 years. Not one international call (by accident).

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I figured it probably wasn't anything to be worried about but it would be the first time a telemarketer tried to call my cellphone...weird.

It hasn't happened since...I guess I said some mildly threatning things...oops....

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

I get these on my land line phone, don't want a cell, they cause cancer and DNA damage. Here is a good answer: "CIA desk, how did you get this number?" they will not call the number again.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
If you don't want your phone number listed in directory searches, it will show as private. I answer private because alot of my friends have that.

I don't answer "unknown" or "long distance". Ususally they're telemarketers. Sometimes though long distance is revenue canada.

I keep getting calls from Illinois. A guy asks who's in charge of elelctric drillng devices or whatever it was. I said nothing like that here, but he keeps calling.

Also keep getting calls from maryland, maine and new york who ask for my husband then hang up real quick. I get calls a few times a year from Cheyenne, but never answered them to know what it was about.

The strangest thing I ever had happn with my phone: I had been arguing with my 17 yr old kid. We had a phone downstairs that was laying on the floor. During this argument the phone fell off the hook as one of us walked past it. So I left it lke that thinking it's best we don't answer any calls right now anyways. Ok now to back track to what happened before the sudden argument ( I don't know why we were suddenly fighting). I had made a call to Budd Hopkins in New York and we chatted for quite some time. If you know who he is you will know he's a ufologist.

Back to the argument, my kid stormed off and walked over to a freinds house a few blocks away. Within minutes police showed up at my door and asked to enter. Two came in, one sat down on the sofa with me, while the other marched like a maniac searching my house. I could hear him slamming doors, thumping his boots around. I asked the nicer cop who called them, because I was puzzled as to why they came. His reply in the calmest manner "we were listening to your phonecall. We heard it all. We know everything you said". The only call I'd made was to hopkins, and so I was bit freaked. I said 'what phonecall would this be?". He then said "We heard you arguing". so now it wasn't an actual call, but them eavesdropping. He said the phone company called him to investigate what they heard while the phone was off the hook. I said do you mean to tell me that when someone leaves their phone of the hook they listen in? He said yes. And that they have time to do this and determine a normal family arguing is a reason to send police and you can be this fast at coming here? I found that to be a bit far-fetched. The next day I called the telephone company to ask if they do this, and she said absolutely not, that they don't eavesdrop on open lines. She thought I was a loon for even asking, but I assured her these cops said this was what happened and I wanted to check if it was true and that I also didn't think this happens. So somebody is lying here. It was so strange, the one cop who did the search was very stern and intimidating, while the other one was quite calm. I wish I'd called the police back to see if there was a log of their visit.

there not cops hun,there ais in human form , you definitly should enquire further as to the legality of thier visit and take it as high as you can.
they hate attention being put upon them.
you might even find there not even cops as ive found out a few times but ai imposters who come to mess with you.

new topics

top topics

join