It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nike Site

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
... Anybody have any ideas as to what is below the ground?

I was involved with environmental investigation/cleanup at former Nike facilities in a large US city. In order to facilitate subsurface investigations, I was privy to archival plans, layouts and historical aerial photography. After extensive study of the material, as well as onsite excavations, it was clear that the concrete footings of buildings remained. Not merely housing structures, but also the large bunker configurations for containing and deploying the Nike missiles. Also found were various metallic appurtenances and some electronic equipment.

BTW, fissionable ordnance was used only in the later years of the Nike program. Thereafter, the Atlas program became predominant, then succeeded by Zeus missiles. The latter program existed only preliminarily to the deployment of intercontinental ballistic missiles.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Fearfulone
Anybody know of a NIKE BASE near Rowland Heights, CA? I know there is one in the hills between Rowland Heights and Brea...i've been there...its all underground now and i found the enterance but it was blocked...anyone have any info on this?

I was on the cross country team at Rowland High School in the late 1980's and we used to run up in those hills through the base. I haven't been up there since, but even back then it was pretty bare and run-down. I know there are a lot of housing tracts up there now, but don't know how close they are to the location of the base.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I lived here in City Island NY in the Bronx since 1958 and we used to have a Nike Ajax Base called Fort Slocum and I used to watch them rise up out of their silos and it was awsome!

During the 1962 Cuban Missle Crisis they were alerted and we waited for a war that never came.

After that they became obsolete and were scrapped.

They were Nuclear with a 57 Kiloton H Bomb to destroy incoming Missiles.

The old Nike Base is now owned by the NYC Dept of Corrections.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Fearfulone

it's been 20 years. I use to go there you could go in to the ari shafts and go in to other rooms

<< 1   >>

join