It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know, Caroline Kennedy, you know?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I was quite shocked when I saw clips from Caroline Kennedy's interview on NY1. I wasn't surprised when after hearing clips that in a 35 minute interview she used the term "you know" over 175 times. While she may be qualified to hold Clinton's senate seat, someone that is so inarticulate may really not be the best choice.

"I'm really coming into this as somebody who isn't, you know, part of the system, who obviously, you know, stands for the values of, you know, the Democratic Party," Kennedy told the Daily News Saturday during a wide-ranging interview.

"I know how important it is to, you know, to be my own person. And, you know, and that would be obviously true with my relationship with the mayor."

"Andrew is, you know, highly qualified for this job," she said. "He's doing a, you know, a great job as attorney general, and we've spoken throughout this process."

Despite his bitter divorce from Kerry Kennedy, in which her family accused Cuomo of spilling about his wife's extramarital affair, Caroline Kennedy said the recent conversations have been amicable.

"You know, I think, you know, we're sort of, uh, sharing some of this experience. And um, as I've said, he was a friend, a family member, and um so, and uh obviously, he's, you know, he's also had an impressive career in public office."

Although Cuomo has said he is fond of Kennedy, he has refused to say whether he believes she is qualified to be senator.

Bashed as a political novice, Kennedy argued that her ties in Washington, particularly to President-elect Barack Obama, can help her deliver for New York. She denied that her interest in the seat is driven by a desire to ensure the family continues its decades-long presence in the Senate.

"It's really, you know, it's not about just the Kennedy name," she said. "It's about my own work and what I've done with those values."

www.nydailynews.com...

Is anyone else as shocked by her pattern of speaking as I am? Do you think this is normal for her or do you suppose she was exceedingly nervous and therefor threw in all of those 'you knows' and 'ums' and 'uhs'?

Thoughts?

Jemison

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Too bad she couldn't borrow Obama's teleprompter?

I was thinking Kennedy would be picked, but the way Democrats slam females with little "so-called" experience, I really doubt it will happen.

My guess is that it will be a female from the state legislature, who is capable of putting a couple of complete sentences together.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Maybe she was having a very bad day? I think its something about government.....

Anyway, i've heard her speak before and , you know, i never heard her say such things!!!

Betcha she wont do it again!!! She has a fine education, it had to be nerves!!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Betcha she wont do it again!!! She has a fine education, it had to be nerves!!

My initial thought was that it was nerves but 176 times in 35 minutes? My brain isn't in math mode but wouldn't that mean that she said it more than 5 times a minute? I'll see if I can find a link to a breakdown of how many times she said it and then figure out exactly how many times a minute she said it.

Nerves could account for saying it frequently, but not THAT frequently, could they?!?

And for the record, I have nothing against Caroline Kennedy, this just really stunned me.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
gawker.com...

Here is a clip of the interview where she says 'you know' 12 times in 49 seconds!!!!

I bet I know what her New Year's Resolution will be!!!

I don't know about the rest of you but I'll be paying a lot of extra attention to my speaking to be sure that I'm not throwing out 'you know' randomly!

Jemison

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
She has spent too much time in seclusion, ya know....too many "ya knows" you know. Methinks, she isnt quite ready for the senate, ya know.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
i disagree, her education was obviously a joke

even i , you know, can um, uh, talk better on ATS
and um, uh, still have less errors than she did, and i didnt even bother to capitalize or punctuate correctly

ya try covering up for her by saying "it was the nerves"

i honestly think she is very stupid

maybe we should elect scientists and philosophers if we want "smart / intelligent" people running the nation?

instead of tools like this lol

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

I can't get the video to come up. Where is it under the link?

I'm not surprised. She may be getting overwhelmed by the media because of her celebrity status and it's causing her to choke. Some people can handle it, some can't, if she can't handle it she should stop her PR campaign for Senate.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
i disagree, her education was obviously a joke

I have to tell you that she did go to the finest schools, and she comes from a fine family, educated, whether you agree or not.

I just cant imagine what she was thinking

Her demeanor is that of a lady of high class, and unless they injected her with some whacky crap, i cant find a good reason why she behaved this way.
I know some of the Kennedys btw. Pure class- politics aside.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
When you people are going to get to your brain that Caroline is a Kennedy she belongs to the privilege elite in the nation, as the last living Kennedy of successors in her line "a famous President's daughter", wanted or not she has been forced to be in politics.

Wanted or not she will be pushed into the political life that she has grown in due to her status.

If she is an unwilling participant I have no doubt that she be in great discomfort when put on the public view spot.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Marg,

She's not unwilling at all. Beleive me.
I know quite a bit about that family. Not because i live a few miles away, but just trust me, i know many things about them. I'll just leave it at that.

She's not being forced into anything. Furthermore, she has cousins and they all serve the country.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yes she has cousins but she is the only surviving daughter of a famous President.

She is the wealthiest elite and like the Royalty in England she has to perform her duties in politics here in the US.

Dg, I careless about her and her political agenda, but what I want to point out is how easily this wealthy elite get their way into politics regardless of intelligence, background or willingness.

We the regular joes have no say so what so ever in any of this decisions.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Do you think this is normal for her or do you suppose she was exceedingly nervous and therefor threw in all of those 'you knows' and 'ums' and 'uhs'?

I didn't see the clip, but I read about it.
I don't know what caused her to do that, but I imagine it was nerves of one sort or another. Or, as dj said, just a bad day. We all have them. Sounds like she had a hard time getting to the point, for sure! Did she ever get to the point?

She's reserved and pretty private. She may have been fighting feelings of being overwhelmed. In any case, she better get used to the public spotlight if she's going into politics.

Anyway, it's not because of her intelligence or education. That's ridiculous. She's a very intelligent and highly educated person. These things happen. When she starts saying that she can see Greenland from her house, then I'll question her intelligence and education.

marg, you're right. The wealthy elite CAN get into politics very easily. And I don't think that should be held against her, either. The governor should choose based on who he thinks will do the best job for the state and nothing else. That may or may not happen.

I bet I know what her New Year's Resolution will be!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Marg, while I agree that Caroline has a much easier path to get into politics, you cannot convince me that she is being FORCED into office. She does what she wants to do and is not pushed into anything. This is something that she wants, and probably, something that she feels that she's somewhat entitled to. I believe she always knew that politics would be in her future but she was waiting for an 'easy in' and now she's found it.

I'll try to find another link to the 12 you know's in 49 seconds. Sorry the first one didn't work.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have heard her speak about the things she is passionate about and don't remember her ever saying "you know".

It may be a combination of nerves, bad day and that, although, she would like the Senate seat, she's not really passionate about it. At least not passionate enough to get her s**t together and speak well for herself. I get the impression she wants the seat as long as she doesn't have to work really hard to get it. Also, that she thinks her ability to bring a boatload of money into play entitles her to the seat without having to go thru the grueling process of being elected.

This is a woman who HAS NOT EVEN voted most of the time, nor has ever contributed much money to political candidates in the past. I don't think she has the slightest clue even though she is from an old political family!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the clip where she says 'you know' 12 times in 49 seconds or not but if you listen to it you will hear her say 'you know' a LOT of times!

gatewaypundit.blogspot.com...

Jemison

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Why would she even want to run for office? After her dad, her uncle and her brother are all dead. I think the family is under a Generational Curse. The sins are visited down upon the 3rd and 4th generations of a family. I think that JFK is the 3rd generation and she is the 4th generation. Too many untimely, unusual deaths. The "you know" thing doesn't bother me. She is just a product of our generation, you know?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You know.. she's like ..you know a Kennedy type person ya' know? Maybe if..ya' know she was like maybe, ya' know maybe a ..ya know a Clinton ya' know like Billy Bobs Daughter, ya' know ..like she could run! It could happen...Ya' know?

Zindo

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueangel7

The "you know" thing doesn't bother me. She is just a product of our generation, you know?

The "you know" habit isn't epidemic of the generation that Caroline comes from but it could be that she picked it up from her children. Other than editing her words in her brain before they cross her lips I don't see how she can break herself of this habit. If she was talking super fast and these were coming out it would simply be a matter of slowing down but she doesn't speak that quickly to begin with. The way she is using 'you know', you can tell that she isn't quick with her words and is therefor using the phrase as a time filler while she trys to figure out what she's trying to say.

I wonder if she has hired a speaking coach or if the humiliation of watching herself was enough to make her make a speedy change on her own.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ya know... maybe if her name wasn't Kennedy, she wouldn't even be considered for a Senate seat... Ya know?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join