It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I believe they found ash deposits as tall as 10 m in Houston that some believe came from the Yellowstone caldera. If this SHTF then its pretty much game over. And not to sound too doom and gloom but I believe it is several hundred years over due. But those estimates, especially when dealing with such large numbers, are usually a bit off.

This would definitely affect the whole world and would pretty much mean the end of life, hopefully only as we know it.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Black
This is scary....If that Caldera went up it would be something approaching Apocalyptic. Im honestly suprised there arent more people posting about this. Forget Katrina, 9/11 etc . This would be very, very bad. I think i read somewhere that there would be other indicators, like for instance certain gases and incresed Geyser activity. Someone please correct me if im wrong

[edit on 12/28/2008 by Frank Black]

Most volcanoes do give off warnings, but as somebody else already said this is the one that could give off the least amount of warning. Not only that but I doubt very many geologists would be willing to go out on that limb and say life as we know it is about to end. And I definitely doubt too many people will pay much attention if they did

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cowboys703

Yep we have established that....

It would be an earth changing event the likes of which has not been seen in recorded history.

It would put Vesuvius to shame.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Sweet, I just wanted to make sure.

Also if the SDHTF I think I would like front row seats to this event since it will be the biggest event in human history. If the pyroclastic fall does hit Dallas and ruins the Cowboys new stadium before I get a chance to watch a game at it, then theres really no point in living

Edit to add: Nice edit

[edit on 28-12-2008 by cowboys703]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cowboys703

Yeah, Its late, decided to retract the claws a bit.

Still, it's a scenario none of us would want to see in our lifetimes.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Black
This is scary....If that Caldera went up it would be something approaching Apocalyptic. Im honestly suprised there arent more people posting about this. Forget Katrina, 9/11 etc . This would be very, very bad. I think i read somewhere that there would be other indicators, like for instance certain gases and incresed Geyser activity. Someone please correct me if im wrong

[edit on 12/28/2008 by Frank Black]

By the looks of it could be Gigantic. It would definitely pose a wave of mutilation to all in its path, in which case, this monkey's gone to heaven in the bone machine. It will be the ultimate debaser.

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
hmm its continuing... 3.8 and just 3.2 again... gonne be fun there....

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Yeah, I just noticed that it had another one.... I have never paid attention to the activity here before, but this certainly seems unusual.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Here an interesting seismograph link. It shows all the seismographs.
www.seis.utah.edu...

I found the one at the lake especially interesting

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Muundoggie]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
have over the last 3 years daily looked at the yellowstone earthquake map..first time there was a swarm of 3+ mag. so close to oneother...weird...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
In 2005, Yellowstone was placed on "high alert."

I shall watch and monitor this thread with great intensity.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well if that don't beat all. Earthquakes at Yellowstone. I almost went snowmobiling there over Christmas. Instead I went to Mexico for vacation, which is apparently more dangerous than Iraq.

If Yellowstone blows, the stupid bailout (Read Federal Reserve survival plan) ain't gonna matter.

Top 6 best places to nuke for maximum destruction
www.abovetopsecret.com...

#6 on the list is Yellowstone Caldera

Hundreds of cubic kilometers of magma at high pressure. A five kilometer cap that limits eruptions to only every million years or so. A well-placed explosion that destroys that cap in the space of a few seconds. A lava plume ten times taller than Mt. Everest, followed by perpetual and global night that lasts for years. This one requires a nuke slightly larger than 1-megatons - 20-megatons ought to be sufficient.

www.acceleratingfuture.com...

[edit on 28-12-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Very interesting times we live in. Supposedly we're over thousands of years overdue for another one. I guess it must have been waiting for us for a long time to finally blow it's top off. I live just on the borderline of the danger zone (Edmonton). Which is about 600 miles away from Yellowstone.

It won't exactly matter, because ash would cover up the world, and bring darkness for months at a time, and chilly weather. Secret governments already have built underground facilities that will facilitate their needs at times like these. Doomsday seed vaults to grow food are being built in state of emergencies like these.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
If Yellowstone goes off, I can imagine all the 'illegal aliens' that will be plaguing Mexico, Canada and Cuba.

Oh the Irony!

IRM

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

people.uwec.edu...

Potential Volcanic Hazards

Hidden underground, powerful volcanic, tectonic, and hydrothermal forces are continually reshaping the landscape of Yellowstone National Park. Evidence of these include numerous earthquakes (although not all are felt by humans), uplifting and subsidence of the ground surface. Eventually the unrest will culminate in a large earthquake or volcanic eruption.

A Interfermetric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR)

This InSAR image is able to give a direct and precise measurement of the vertical changes in ground level at Yellowstone National Park in a four year period from 1996-2000. The white dotes here show the locations of earthquakes. Source: pubs.usgs.gov...

Evident in the diagram above is the prominent dome-shaped uplifting, this suggests that there is a continuous rise in the caldera from magma reservoirs beneath the earth's surface which has the potential to form a volcano and is also linked to the frequent earthquakes.

The hydrothermal and volcanic activity at Yellowstone Lake are fueled by a large reservoir of magma beneath the caldera that formed 640,000 years ago. Source: pubs.usgs.gov...

This diagram shows how the less dense magma from reservoirs deep within the earth move upward and lift the surface of a caldera causing the faults to shift and produce earthquakes.

Seismic Activity at Yellowstone National Park

The Yellowstone area has one of the most seismically active parts in the United States, this graph shows the number of volcanoes in a year and an upward trend in cumulative earthquakes in a span of almost 30 years. Source: pubs.usgs.gov...

Along with the earthquake threats Yellowstone faces on a daily basis, if ever there was a volcanic eruption the size of those in Yellowstone's history the effects would be devastating for the United States and it would effect the entire world. Such predictions are hard to envision but with the ongoing activity geologists have been observing we can only presume that Yellowstone will erupt once again.

This diagram shows the different hazards that a volcano produces. Source: http.//USGS.org

A super-eruption has the potential to cover the United States in 3 feet of ash from a plume. Pyroclastic flow would engulf the greater part of three states, and there is evidence that the last major 'super' eruption plunged the world into a freezing, volcanic winter that lasted a decade. An eruption would devastate world agriculture, severely effect the distribution of food and cause mass famine.

This diagram shows the potential range of the total destruction.

gulp

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

From 1,000 to 3,000 earthquakes typically occur each year within Yellowstone National Park and its immediate surroundings. Although most are too small to be felt, these quakes reflect the active nature of the Yellowstone region, one of the most seismically active areas in the United States. Each year, several quakes of magnitude 3 to 4 are felt by people in the park.
Although some quakes are caused by rising magma and hot-ground-water movement, many emanate from regional faults related to crustal stretching and mountain building. For example, major faults along the Teton, Madison, and Gallatin Ranges pass through the park and likely existed long before the beginning of volcanism there. Movements along many of these faults are capable of producing significant earthquakes. The most notable earthquake in Yellowstone’s recent history occurred in 1959. Centered near Hebgen Lake, just west of the park, it had a magnitude of 7.5. This quake caused $11 million in damage (equivalent to $70 million in 2005 dollars) and killed 28 people, most of them in a landslide that was triggered by the quake.

Geologists conclude that large earthquakes like the Hebgen Lake event are unlikely within the Yellowstone Caldera itself, because subsurface temperatures there are high, weakening the bedrock and making it less able to rupture. However, quakes within the caldera can be as large as magnitude 6.5. A quake of about this size that occurred in 1975 near Norris Geyser Basin was felt throughout the region.

Even distant earthquakes can affect Yellowstone. In November 2002, the magnitude 7.9 Denali Fault earthquake struck central Alaska, 1,250 miles (2,000 km) northwest of Yellowstone. Because this quake’s energy was focused toward the active Yellowstone volcanic and hydrothermal system, it triggered hundreds of small earthquakes there. The region’s hydrothermal system is highly sensitive to quakes and undergoes significant changes in their wake. Earthquakes may have the potential to cause Yellowstone’s hot-water system to destabilize and produce explosive hydrothermal eruptions.

www.yellowstone.net...

I was looking at the EQ's also, but it seems that it is pretty normal for those to occur there.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The above link gives you some history of quakes there, from the USGS site.

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK (AP) — The University of Utah Seismograph Stations report a swarm of small earthquakes in Yellowstone National Park.

The university says the quakes of magnitude 3.5 and lower have been occurring beneath Yellowstone Lake, five to nine miles south-southeast of Fishing Bridge, a park landmark. The earthquakes that began on Friday and continued on Saturday intensified during the weekend, and there were reports that people in the Yellowstone Lake area felt the quakes.

The University of Utah says they've been in an area of the park where swarms are common.

www.greatfallstribune.com...
the above is from link provided.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
"Change We Can Believe In"

Are we all being punished by the elite groups for electing Obama? or is this for blessing Israel? So much for our sharing food with other nations.

So, is this part of the webbot predictions than also?

[edit on 28-12-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Yellowstone is a Super Volcana, if it does blow then all of the
US will be covered several meters thick. Then the northern
hemispere will plunge into darkness for a few years.

You'll know when it's time to duck and cover.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
#6 on the list is Yellowstone Caldera

Hundreds of cubic kilometers of magma at high pressure. A five kilometer cap that limits eruptions to only every million years or so. A well-placed explosion that destroys that cap in the space of a few seconds. A lava plume ten times taller than Mt. Everest, followed by perpetual and global night that lasts for years. This one requires a nuke slightly larger than 1-megatons - 20-megatons ought to be sufficient.

Maybe a slightly less conventional device would do just fine.

How about a wave resonance generator?

Like I said before, someone is playing the H.A.A.R.P. and are blissfully unaware of the ultimate results of their actions.

That Caldera (caulderon) is not something to mess with, high, high pressure.

Having said that, the last 6 hours have been quiet, unless that website is not updated.

MAP 3.2 2008/12/28 02:23:57 44.505N 110.363W 0.4 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 3.8 2008/12/27 22:15:56 44.492N 110.365W 0.2 62 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 3.2 2008/12/27 15:30:03 44.495N 110.367W 0.2 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 3.4 2008/12/27 13:26:27 44.488N 110.365W 0.3 62 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT
MAP 3.5 2008/12/27 13:17:32 44.481N 110.362W 0.7 62 km (39 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

[edit on 28-12-2008 by MoonMine]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

The other day I saw a docu regarding supervolcanoes and also Yellowstone. The thing is that never having experienced a super eruption, scientists do not know how long ahead there will be warning signs. Maybe months or maybe just days. They also showed the amount of matter that will be ejected into the sky: a rugby ball compared to a ping pong ball of a normal eruption. So the devastion will not only be felt in the nearby surroundings but globally as temperatures may plumet to 17 degrees Celsius below normal....

I really hope that Yellowstone is just acting up a bit and that no supervolcano there will erupt....

[edit on 28-12-2008 by QueenofWeird]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join