It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pterosaur and Civil War Soldiers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
Just goes to show that you never know what materials can come in handy many years down the road.

Very true mate, I just looked at a public school textbook that taught children how to read and write using verses from the bible. That time seemed to be a better time and now the word God in public schools starts a debate. Now you would never see the word God in a public school textbook.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
... It was well known by the locals, who had been catching the fish for about as long as their people had been there.

In comparison, we have your unsourced statements and few pictures that have appeared on the web with no sources.

Oh, but all the Native American (those, you know, American "Locals") stories about "Thunderbirds" can't be believed?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hahahaha!

I have lived near Gettysburg (the epitome of the civil war) my entire life, so has my father. Neither of us have ever seen a Pterodactyl. Thats just ridiculous to think they're still alive, especially now, 150 years later.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
First photo in external image looks fake. Foot of leading center man appears to be resting on nothing that makes sense in the picture.

These would be more convincing if the creature depicted was generally consistent looking.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Unlike the other pictures this one REALLY looks fake though

No, no, looks completely real.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Try this one
omniology.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The Tricerotops is an obvious fake but the Pterosaur "looks" real to the untrained eye. The same photo was also shown on the History Channel.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Are there written records that accompany these photos with the Civil War? I would think that something as odd looking as a pterosaur would have received some sort of written documentation.

reply to post by pstrron

So you're saying that there are copyrighted pictures of hunters posing with pterosaurs out there somewhere? Happen to know this history book's name, author or publisher?

[edit on 5-1-2009 by zephyrs]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yeah, i saw a FOX show "FREAKY LINKS" that did a spoof of this "thunder bird" myth.... as for the pictures... i would like to see as other stated some written evidence of these events.... a letter home maybe? Something that would verify the photo evidence... im 21 years old... ive seen what photoshop can do and if this is fake i wouldnt be the least bit surprised.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
Oh, but all the Native American (those, you know, American "Locals") stories about "Thunderbirds" can't be believed?

are you going to uncritically accept ALL native amereican mythology - or just cherrypick ?

and which tribe will you believe - because some have contradictory explainatiins for some things

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The second pic, of the boy holding the pterosaur, is it just me or does the house behind him appear to have vinyl siding? The seam to the (viewers) left of him looks quite familiar to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You can still fake images without photoshop people. Create a lovely mannequin out of leather and such, take a low quality photo, and viola!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MrDudle

AND , to the amazement of many people - you can photoshop an image without a computer

just google ` airbrushed from history ` for a rundown of pre computer image manipulation

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well I am a paleonotoligst, and I have found more pteranodon bones than any one else has.....and that first pic is accurate to a large male. My first impression is that it is real , and I have found that most of the time that my gut feelings are usually right.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i vote probable fake , my reasons

1 - issolation - a single adult cannot just ` apear ` in the mid 1860s with no supporting wild population - even if it [ that photo ] was the extintion death - there woulkd have been have been prior discoveries - flyting reptiles with multi metre wingspans cannot hide

2 - if N america had wild pterosaurs - why would it have been covered up / ignored previously ? - when the americas were discovered - thousands oof species unknown to europeans were discovered and faithfully documented - and there was no motive for a conspiracy - as paleantology was an as yet un studied discipline - the word dinosaur was not even coined till the 19th century and thier was no debate on the age of the aerth / evolution / creationism till the mid 19th century

so a single photo - allegedly from the mid 19th century needs extra ordinary evidence to explain its origin

its lack of provenance other than a creationist website sets alarm bels ringing

There are several Native American myths about enormous bird-like creatures, and one in particular about a certain river where winged demons dwell in the cliffs over the river. They supposedly attacked anybody that traveled a certain part of it that is edged by the rocky cliffs.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

yes and ?

first - read several native tribes acounts of the origins of maize , are you going to assume they are true also - are are you just cherry picking ?

second - where is this river / cliff ?

rivers attract fishermen , rafters and kyakers , cliffs attract rock climbers

lets find out where this mystery spot is and look at the trip reports from people that have actually been there

ogh wait - there is no scary cliff of doom where everytone gets attacked by demons

so have the demons given up and gone " home " or was it just a story

what do you REALLY thing ?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

yes and ?
first - read several native tribes acounts of the origins of maize , are you going to assume they are true also - are are you just cherry picking ?
second - where is this river / cliff ?
rivers attract fishermen , rafters and kyakers , cliffs attract rock climbers
lets find out where this mystery spot is and look at the trip reports from people that have actually been there
ogh wait - there is no scary cliff of doom where everytone gets attacked by demons
so have the demons given up and gone " home " or was it just a story
what do you REALLY thing ?

Wow! How Refreshing.
It's been a while since an imbecile has attempted to demean me on this website for no reason at all!
Thank you for your 2 cen... Well, more accurately, thank you for your NO cents.

Anyway, the purpose of my post was just to state that there have been accounts of strange flying creatures in the area for a long, long time.

I don't care enough to delve back into all that information, and list it here so some troll can exhibit his skill at being rude and idiotic.

Those of you that have had a previous interest in the subject, already know what I am talking about.
And, those of you that are newly interested in the subject, will have no problem finding the information on their own.

My point was, that this phenomenon is by no means new or novel.

What has ACTUALLY been the source of the sightings, I don't know.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

thats right dont actually bother answering the questions

i did NOT insult you - but that didnt stop you insulting me so stop being so childish and hypocritcal

like i pointed out there are hundreds of mths - many contracict each other

so drop the attitude - and try and address the issues

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Apology Accepted!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join